Precursor Mod Released

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]This week saw the release of Precursor, a mod set in the Half-life universe in-between Episode 1 and Episode 2 with the objective of securing the White Forest facility. I had an excellent experience with Precursor which has some solid voice acting, varied combat environments, an atmospheric soundtrack, a couple satisfying puzzles and a well tested pacing about it.[br]You will probably only get about 40 minutes of gameplay from the 4 chapters but they were memorable enough for me to highly recommend this single-player experience. You progress from the confines of City 17 all the way out into the forest almost making it feel as if I were playing HL2 through to Episode 2 in a bite size chunk.[br]You can download the mod from the Precursor mod website (req. Episode 2), be sure to leave your feedback in the comments for the team![br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif

I played through the mod and I did not honestly think it was really great.

I did like the hard puzzle solving on the way underground to the train, but it was an awful short mod and it looked kind of half assed. I was expecting a Gman appearence at the end. Why would he get a Gman premonition in the first part of the game and not even see him for the rest. I did like however it was a melting pot of all the HL2 games.

The music was great especially the part where you escape your apartment.

Though on the bright side, that recharging thing for the Hunter was such an original idea. Kudos to the modders.

No unskinned weapon renders? Surely it's april fools.

The Hunter thing was really clever, lets not give away too many spoilers though. I'd be interested to know what other SP mods you've played Overwatch? What did you think of R&D / 1887 / HE / Mission Improbable / Minerva? There are obviously a lot of SP mods which fall short (I've had to play a lot of them!) but I think Precursor is well above those. You shouldn't be expecting Valve quality but new ideas and well tested gameplay is worth it's weight in gold in a mod since they get that wrong a lot.

It's really sad all those mods you listed don't work anymore. I LOVED Rock 24, Riot Act, and Minerva.

I tried playing Minerva but it seemed bloody impossible, 10+ combine attacking you at once and they all take 2+ clips to kill even on easy.

I tried playing Minerva but it seemed bloody impossible, 10+ combine attacking you at once and they all take 2+ clips to kill even on easy.

You're not supposed to fight, you're supposed to run.

I have a lot of models missing when I start Precursor, does anyone know why?

I fixed the missing models issue, I had a reformat recently and hadn't re-DL'd HL2.

The Hunter thing was really clever, lets not give away too many spoilers though. I'd be interested to know what other SP mods you've played Overwatch? What did you think of R&D / 1887 / HE / Mission Improbable / Minerva? There are obviously a lot of SP mods which fall short (I've had to play a lot of them!) but I think Precursor is well above those. You shouldn't be expecting Valve quality but new ideas and well tested gameplay is worth it's weight in gold in a mod since they get that wrong a lot.

I've been playing Nightmare House 2 and got a taste of Underhell. It seems ive been playing the We create stuff mods alot since they are so coded very well. And I tried out 1887, it was actually good.

But in terms of mods based in the HL2 universe, Precursor is good so far, as a released HL2 universe based mod. I've played some pretty crappy ones such as Awakening. God it was awful, and its advertised on steam if you searched it up.

No Minvera, but it's pretty good. The voice acting and music get points for effort, even if they're far from perfection. The first two levels were pretty dull Metrocop bashing in Sewers in truth, but the sniper / hopper / hunter sections were a lot better, with some good variation on the kind of encounters you'd have thought we'd had enough of by now.

It's an enjoyable bit of Half-Life 2 fanfiction and gameplay. Nothing massively satisfying, but good enough. Wish the Citadel wasn't so big in the later levels though. Four chapters was already making the game-world seem inaccurately small. The outlands shouldn't be spitting distance from the Citadel.

Other then minerva and sweet half life (a really old mod for hl1), the best mod that I've ever played. Besides the glitchy train part, I can honestly not think of anything wrong.
Overwatch sctor, how on earth was this half assed?

Quite a good mod. I enjoyed playing that. Especially the pacing was well done. The ending was a bit abrupt, but I liked how they placed their fiction into the HL2 story.

I don't think it's that good overall. I played variously through the chase-sequence from Point Insertion, the dreary sewer tunnels of Route Kanal, and a Lowlife esque parking lot with a particularly stagnant turret piece. I haven't finished it yet but I suspect it won't pick up all that much.

Other then minerva and sweet half life (a really old mod for hl1), the best mod that I've ever played. Besides the glitchy train part, I can honestly not think of anything wrong.
Overwatch sctor, how on earth was this half assed?

The whole game wasn't half assed, it was just the ending. I was expecting a gman role in this mod since he is shown in the premonition of the character you play.

Some of the game design was meh. I liked it, but it wasn't spectacular.

Back