Preload Started!

Been preloading for 15 mins and im @ 20%. is that decent?

Mine hasn't started yet...but whoopity do. I'm just happy that pre-loading has started in general.

Started preloading 15 minutes ago . . . 29%. Might as well leave my PC on over night. I would laugh so hard if this was the whole game encrypted and we couldn't unlock it till xx date. Then, someone would crack it by next weeek and we could play lol. Not encouraging pirates and hackers but just expecting SOMETHING to happen.

Bit rediculous that Steam doesn't seem to take your Geography into account. I'm on a north american server (content server 1) and my download speed is shit.

Been going 2 hours now and I'm @ 50% on a 1.5meg connection.

"Steam Servers are currently too busy to handle Pre-loads of Half-Life 2 please try again in a few hours"

Oh darn, well i'll just wait i guess.

I just woked up and started a Steam AND WHAT A ..............!
Is this possible. Finally some good news from Valve direction.
I thing that Gold isnt Far.

dang i can't even get onto the server, did all the newbs just click to preload without realizing you gotta buy it through steam for it to be any use? i bet half the people aren't even going to buy/receive over steam.

O I C! We pre-load it then when we buy the cd version we just pop in the play disc and play? No installation?

Snaek said:
dang i can't even get onto the server, did all the newbs just click to preload without realizing you gotta buy it through steam for it to be any use? i bet half the people aren't even going to buy/receive over steam.
Like I just said... it won't take as long to install once you get your copy since you can just input your CD key and perhaps download a weeny bit.

Ignore the post below mine. :stare:

O I C! We pre-load it then when we buy the cd version we just pop in the play disc and play? No installation?
are you being sarcastic? if your not no, im pretty sure its for people who are going to buy through steam, dont preload if your gonna buy the boxed version.

LoL, k thx man. No thx to the guy directly above ^^

EDIT: WOW! This pre-load is damn fast, I've been pre-loading for like 2 min and it's at 2% lol.

LOL nevermind. ty.

I'm apparently getting 100 megs per second -_-;

But are you SURE that if I pre-load this I'll be able to play without having to install the whole thing with cds? I'm too hyped to trust anyone!

EDIT: Or be the least bit intellegent for that matter... :LOL:

Dreglor said:
1 megabit = 250 kilobytes

I think it's 1 megabit = 125 kilobytes.

I don't know for sure, but I'd speculate that you'll still have to install at least some files from the CDs, seeing as how the current preload is only a portion of the game files. But valve will probably expand the preload to include more of the game, so maybe you will be able to just input the CD key and start playing...

Letters said:
Like I just said... it won't take as long to install once you get your copy since you can just input your CD key and perhaps download a weeny bit.
Gee! Letters is smart!
. . . . . . and purty too

im downloading hl2 preload and theres no .gcf file i downloaded cs:s and theres no .gcf file either. does every one else have there game cache file?
.GCF File

benson said:
Bit rediculous that Steam doesn't seem to take your Geography into account. I'm on a north american server (content server 1) and my download speed is shit.

Been going 2 hours now and I'm @ 50% on a 1.5meg connection.

geography isn't very relevant in the first place when you are talking about bandwidth. im in california yet i can get 500k/s on a server in germany.

WaterMelon34 said:
LOL nevermind. ty.

I'm apparently getting 100 megs per second -_-;

But are you SURE that if I pre-load this I'll be able to play without having to install the whole thing with cds? I'm too hyped to trust anyone!

EDIT: Or be the least bit intellegent for that matter... :LOL:
i don't think that you are getting it @ 100 mb/s...
Can't imagine that steam has such a damn fast connection that everyone would be maxed out...or do you have 100 mbit internet connection ? ;-) OC96 .. lol ?
I have a 3mbit connection and getting @ 1.2 mbit.... thats ok...

wbcheater said:
im downloading hl2 preload and theres no .gcf file i downloaded cs:s and theres no .gcf file either. does every one else have there game cache file?
.GCF File
Mine's called 'base source shared materials.gcf' and is 1.01 GB in my SteamApps folder...

NNNNnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo!!! Mine has been downloading for a couple hours and looks like it stopped! Im at 93%... freakin 93% and it looks like the preload download has frozen.

wbcheater said:
have you tryed gcfscape from nemesis. it'll allow you to see in a gcf file
Nope... it's just poking around, though, right? Nothing bad?

thebarge said:
NNNNnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo!!! Mine has been downloading for a couple hours and looks like it stopped! Im at 93%... freakin 93% and it looks like the preload download has frozen.
I saw a lot of people complaining about that problem with the Counter-Strike Source beta... and others' advice was to just let it sit... it could still finish.

dude it happens all you have to do is click the hl2 icon in the 'play games' and click pause then continue. it happend to me too

That thing 'fails to initialize properly' when I try to run it. :hmph:

Oooh, might need that runtime thinger...

Someone should say it. Valve is happy that people buying it in the stores download it anyway. The real point of this all is as a proof-of-concept. They'd be happy to get 10 percent of their hl2 sales over steam. What they're really crossing their fingers for is that their later products can be released exclusively over steam or before retail. At the very least, the more reliable Steam is, the better the deal they can bargain with a publisher. Valve wants to be its own publisher; why should vivendi be getting any cut from a Steam sale at all? The content servers are like the CD duplicators: after being compensated for their service, they don't demand any rights to the actual content, so they deal in a commodity and get a smaller margin. When you're like Valve and don't need a publishers' money for develpment costs, having a publisher only complicates things.

If Steam sales go really well, expect to see Valve distributing some other developers' games in the next couple years; Gabe's talk about allowing mods to charge a fee for Steam distribution seems to be the first phase of this plan.

god dang it there are to many preloads QUIT YOURS SO I CNA START MINE PLEASE!

Back