Problem when starting a new game...

Tekilatex

Reaction score
Greetings guys, I just bought The orange box and downloaded all its content. Every single game seems to be working besides....

Half life 2 !

Episode one and two works, and so does lost cost. I already played Half life on this computer back then and it work fine...

So basically what happen is that I get in game, I see the animation and all that behind the menu screen. I click on '' New game ''... the screens goes dark, I see '' HALF LIFE 2 '' and then the game close, and it tells me :

hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I check the details and it talks about my DIGITAL PRODUCT ID, my licence confirmation and my IP. I don't really understand the bug report.

This is NOT a cracked version, I purchased it from Steam, but I used to play a cracked version before buying the game, just to try it out.

So do you think it could be linked ?

I also noticed that when I uninstall HL2 and Re-install it, the download starts up at 75 %, which I guess means there is some remains of HL2 left there even when I uninstall...

I tryed disabling my firewall, updating my drivers, etc.... nothing works!

Anyone know what it might be ?

Right click HL2 in Steam and select Properties. Go to the Local Files tab and click "verify integrity of game cache...".

I just did it, it said there was no problem. I also re-installed 2 times.. :(

You can close, I fixed the problem! If it ever happen to someone, you have to do that :

hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Hi, I just wanted to stop by and let you know how I solved the problem some people are having with Half Life 2.

In the path C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\YOURUSERNAME\half-life 2
you'll find the hl2.exe all alone except for 3 folders of which one is a bin folder.

So obviously the hl2.exe file is all alone and miserable. What I did is to go into the bin folder and copy all the files in it, go back out and paste them into the folder where the lonely hl2.exe files was.

Now together with all its friends the hl2.exe file didnt longer encounter any problems and the game started and played just fine.

Hope this works for other people that are also stuck with this problem.

Back