Problem with HL2:Ep2 and Portal on new Vista32 install. Help please!

W

wazoo

Just upgraded to a pair of 9800GTX's running in SLI.

I've been playing Half Life Two Episode Two for the first time (although I've owned it since release). I've got XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate 32 installed on two seperate drives and have been running the games fine using the new 174.74 Nvida drivers.

However... I decided to do a full clean Vista install on a thrid HD just to keep it completely free of background processes (i.e. no virus scanners etc.) and make it my primary gaming partition.

So I installed Vista 32 Ultimate, patched to SP1, added my Nvidia and Creatuve X-Fi drivers. And that's it!

Problem is... when I try to Run HL2-Ep2 or Portal, my framerates, no matter what the resolution, are beteewn 1 - 3 FPS! The sound also seems to be stuttering and repeating in series of threes or so.

I tried using the -nosound launch option and no effect to frames.

Oddly, The Lost Coast, the original HL2 and HL2-Eps 1 run FANTASTICALLY! I am running at 3840x1024 with all AA/AF and graphics options at maximum and never get below the mid-50's.... except, obviously, for HL2-EP2 and Portal.

BOTH of these games, however, run just great on my OTHER Vista install (except for lack of 7.1 surround sound) and on my XP install.

I've got a bajillion others apps running on my other Vista install in the background so you would figure that would be the install that gives me the problem... but no.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Bioshock also runs GREAT on the new install... so I doubt it is a driver install issue. I'm wondering if there is some default setting on a new Vista install that I changed on my original but just don't remember.... :( I killed UAC... but no joy.

Any help GREATLY appreciated....

Back