Problems.. ATI and F.E.A.R.

D

DreadLord

I recently got F.E.A.R. and it works very well on this computer. I can play everything at max and get awesome FPS. I'm trying to install it on my other computer though, and it's simply not working..

The computer it works on:
Asus SLI MB
AMD64 4000+
2x Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX
4GB RAM
2x 75GB Raptor 10000RPM HD
Windows XP

The computer it doesn't work on:
Asus K8V Deluxe
AMD64 3500+
ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition (AGP8x)
2GB RAM
2x 75GB Raptor 10000RPM HD
Windows XP

Granted my main computer is better, but my other computer more than exceeds the recommended requirements of:
P4 3.0Ghz
1GB RAM
256MB Video Card > 9800Pro or Geforce 6600

I should be able to play this game on max graphics even on this computer, however even on the lowest of settings I'm getting 15FPS tops, and it freezes for a few seconds every 15 or so feet I walk ingame. I've tried updating to Cat 5.11, I've updated the game to its latest version, and I've played around with tons of settings..

Any ideas as to what could be causing my problem would be much appreciated.

My friend has an X800PE and it sets the graphics pretty low for him, granted he has an Athlon XP 3200+, not an Athlon 64. It runs great on my system, but wasn't the game designed toward nVidia more?

I had an X850 XT PE before my 7800's. I could run the game on pretty much max settings. I can't think what the problem could be though.
have you defragged? Virus scan? etc etc...

I would think anything would run quite well on your system.:upstare:
What exactly is happening on the "lesser" system when you try to install/run it?

I have Cat. 5.10's and the game runs perfect at 1024x768 8xAA/4xAF or even at 1280x960 2xAA/4xAF except it's a little choppy when im in the middle of explosions. Mostly high and medium quality settings.

X800PE doesn't have shadow acceleration does it? The problem may lay there, try disabling shadows to see if you get Frame boost

gweedodogg69 said:
but wasn't the game designed toward nVidia more?

Yes, but it would be ridiculous to not have any support for ATi cards..

Ren.182 said:
have you defragged? Virus scan? etc etc...

Yes everything's fine in that department. I can play Lost Coast at maximum settings with ease, along with BF2 etc..

Adabiviak said:
What exactly is happening on the "lesser" system when you try to install/run it?

Installation goes fine. When I try to play it even the menu is quite choppy. It lags out every once in a while, and clicking through the menus takes a ridiculous amount of time due to this. When the game starts, it stutters, gets very low fps, and freezes up every 20 or so feet I walk.

As a side note, the FEAR demo still installed on my machine, works perfectly fine on max graphics..

Asus said:
I have Cat. 5.10's and the game runs perfect at 1024x768 8xAA/4xAF or even at 1280x960 2xAA/4xAF except it's a little choppy when im in the middle of explosions. Mostly high and medium quality settings.

Perhaps I should try rolling back?

DEATH eVADER said:
X800PE doesn't have shadow acceleration does it? The problem may lay there, try disabling shadows to see if you get Frame boost

Well I have the X850XT PE not the X800PE but I'll try that and report back.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back