Problems transfrering files via Wi-fi

Reaction score
Right so i have a few HD movies on my PC which i would like to transfer to my PS3 so i can watch them on my TV. So what i'm trying to do is send them via Wi-Fi the only problem is my router seems to keep cutting out. It's start transferring fine although very very slow then eventually my router dies and i have to reboot it. The Internet connection and wireless light goes off my router and Windows says to reboot it. Can anyone give me any reasons on why my Router keeps dying? I have a similar problem that sometimes when i use Utorrent or Limewire my router dies. Also what sort of speeds should i expect transferring between my PS3 and PC my PS3 is right near the router with 100% signal and my PC is at 70% signal strength. I thought the speed should be significantly faster transferring between devices on my own network yet i'm getting the sort of transfer speeds i get on the internet. My router is a Netgear DG834GT 108mbps.

Sounds like it could be a bad router, are you sure that both devices are on the same subnet? the ip address for your computer and PS3 should both start off the same, for example: 192.168.1.xxx where xxx will be unique to each device. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

On your computer you can find this by typing ipconfig in command prompt. Not sure where to do it on a PS3 but if you search the network settings Im sure you'll find it.

I remember when I used to try to move gigs of music back and forth between comps the network would just take a shit and I'd have to reset everything....I just don't move massive amounts of data anymore to avoid that problem.

Can't you use a USB drive or something.

The PS3 only supports FAT32 external drives so that means i'm stuck with a 4gig file size limit. I could split the files, but i would prefer just the one file especially as the PS3 doesn't supports folders meaning everything gets dumped at the root and having multiple files for one film is just to cluttered.

Sounds like it could be a bad router, are you sure that both devices are on the same subnet? the ip address for your computer and PS3 should both start off the same, for example: 192.168.1.xxx where xxx will be unique to each device. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

On your computer you can find this by typing ipconfig in command prompt. Not sure where to do it on a PS3 but if you search the network settings Im sure you'll find it.

I've checked the setting on both my PS3 and PC. My PC's IP is 192.168.0.2 and the PS3 is 198.168.0.3 and both are using subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and both are using 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway.

What kind of modem do you have? I've seen modems that will set themselves up at 192.168.0.1 by default if they have a router built in. That might be worth checking.

But since your wired connections work (I'm assuming) and the transfers start just never finish I would guess a bad router. Do you have a small file you could try transfering just to make sure that works like it should?

What kind of modem do you have? I've seen modems that will set themselves up at 192.168.0.1 by default if they have a router built in. That might be worth checking.

But since your wired connections work (I'm assuming) and the transfers start just never finish I would guess a bad router. Do you have a small file you could try transfering just to make sure that works like it should?

I don't have a modem. I only have my router which is connected to the phone line and it handles my internet connection. I tried transferring a few MP3's and photos over and that seemed to work fine so i'm guessing my router can't handle the big files for some reason.

Does it work with wired computers? Is the ps3 wireless, the computer, or both?

If its just effecting wireless connections you might want to fiddle with the knobs under the wireless security settings. Just as a quick test you might even want to turn off wireless security completely and see if it works that way.

Can anyone give me any reasons on why my Router keeps dying? I have a similar problem that sometimes when i use Utorrent or Limewire my router dies.
Router crash

probably due to too many TCP connections but could be DoS. Router isn't any good. If you use the latest uTorrent, you can use uTP (instead of TCP) which is much easier on the router, but it will probably still crash every once in a while. Might also lower 'max connections', etc.

Back