Problems with half-life II

Reaction score
I seem to have a lot of problems running hl2. :eek: My system specs are a little over recommended but lighting (flashlight, "sandtraps" etc.) makes the game run at 5-10 fps. While in narrow corridors it runs steady at 25-30.

My system specs:

Intel Pentium-4 3.00GhZ Dualcore
Intel onboard 128mb graphics card
768mb DDR SDRAM (512+128+128)
SATA 81Gb drive
Windows XP professional
any more specs needed just ask.

Minimum Requirements
1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Reccomended
Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection
As you can see, you do make minimum requirements but do not meet the recommended ones (due to your RAM). Don't expect HL2 to run flawlessly.

But low ram is not just your only problem. You have quite poor onboard graphics (w/ low dedicated memory). Try lowering the detail settings, resolution, and just plainly shut-off any anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

(By the way, there's no such thing as a dual-core P4).

Get a better graphics card. That'll fix the problem.

Thanks

Thank you for the reply, i might have misread my specs. i have seen that for recommended 1GB ram is required. In the old recommended settings only 512mb ram was required. also, can the fps increase if i buy a new graphics card with hardware T&L?

-edit:
would a a 256mb Nvidia 8600gt do the trick? im not sure if it has better effects then my current, but i can try.

You need more ram, but more importantly a new video card.

First you need to find out if your motherboard is AGP or PCI Express 16x. If you get the wrong card slot type, you won't be able to use it.

Use CPU-Z to find out what model number your motherboard is and post it here.

I have already run hwinfo32 and screwed my computer open. i have 2 regular PCI's, a PCIe1x and a PCIe 16x.

Then go out and buy the most expensive video card you're willing to afford.

Another 512 stick of ram wouldn't hurt either, and it shouldn't be that expensive.

You should close the thread. I have bought more RAM and an ATI radeon HD4650 now. thanks for the information :D

You'll still probably have no more then 40 fps due to your crappy processor, but it should be playable.

How is a 3ghz dual core crappy? You know that it's not going to benefit from 4 cores, right?

If you open the task manager, it'll show two processor usage graphs. I don't know why, maybe something to do with hyper threading? But if it's a pentium 4, then it is definitely not a dual core.

Its most likely Hyperthreaded, kind of like having a dual core

Back