Problems with HDR skybox and then Bigger problems later

silentbob

Reaction score
OK my map has been uncompile-able for about 4 months now and i cannot figure out why. CSS just crashes to the desktop while "Aquiring resources" (after i tried to start the map through the in game "Create Server") with no errors. after compiling just part of the map i finally got some errors yay!

What does this mean?
Code:
No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "skybox/tidesrt"
Can't load skybox file skybox/tides to build the default cubemap!
Its like it wants to do HDR when i say NO. Whats up with that?

Now for the bigger problems... it wont start up... CSS just crashes right after outputing the basics in teh console:
Code:
Game.dll loaded for "Counter Strike: Source"
etc
Sound sampling rate: 44100
2 CPUs (1 physical), ...etc...
execing valve.rc
material "vgui/servers/icon_secure_deny" not found
--- Missing Vgui material vgui/servers/icon_secure_deny
then it waits for a bit and crashes to deaktop without an errors. It hasn't even outputed the Server #_ and Game: and anything... its like it didn't even try to start, it just hits an error somewhere and dies. Any other map custom or normal works... i have no idea what to do...
EDIT: the next line is supposed to be
execing game.cfg
so i guess its finding an error during the execing valve.rc command whatever that does

edit: also i found this when i compiled just part of the map(which works)
Code:
Initializing renderer...
Couldn't find customization file 'sound/player/jingle.wav'.
Compressing fragments (3555 -> 3320 bytes)
Error! CMapOverview::SetMap: couldn't load file resource/overviews/cs_highschool_repair03.txt.
"materials/Effects/FilmScan256.vtf": can't be found on disk
"materials/Effects/Splotches256.vtf": can't be found on disk
PutClientInServer: no info_player_start on level
weird.

sounds like u need to reinstall ur game configs for the hard stuff, as for the skybox, thats the incorrect name for the skybox =P

None of what you've posted is an error. The HDR sky thing comes up in every compilation, and always has, for some reason; valve.rc is a configuration file that is loaded with every map; the only potential problem is "PutClientInServer: no info_player_start on level", which is somewhat moot in CS:S but not recommended to leave there anyway.

You should continue compiling parts of the map until you find the part that doesn't work. I'd suspect a major problem with entity interactions is afoot, perhaps an infinite I/O loop or misuse of a certain entity.

----Means its not gunna comply with CSS, its a HL2 texture and HL2 doesnt use HDR so ur outa luck there unless u choose a diff texture

Let us see...

is always popping up, just like Rae said. And can safeley be ignored, it's just one of them errors that VALVe are kind enough to leave in the game for us to make us confused. Kind of like "no players start" in any Non-SP mod or "Memory Leak" in every compile. In short IGNORE.

material "vgui/servers/icon_secure_deny" not found
--- Missing Vgui material vgui/servers/icon_secure_deny

This happens whenever I load any source game I think. Just ignore that too.

I see two (three) things here wich i find confusing and that might be a cause.

1. You say your map won't compile, why do you then try to run it? the game will not run a map i which compiling has failed. Compile again and give us the log.

"materials/Effects/FilmScan256.vtf": can't be found on disk
"materials/Effects/Splotches256.vtf": can't be found on disk

You are missing some materials it would seem. If you are using those materials in your map, remove it.

(3.) you are making a highschool map. This is bad for VIS ususally and it is also frowned upon by the community quite often.

Back