Proof: Where Race-X is from!

Reaction score
There's been a lot of speculation about race-x's origins, but I'm 100% positive that I've figured out the answer.
Here's the stuff you should know:

- In the brief sequence in OP4 where Aidrain goes to Xen, he enters a place with houndeyes and the (in)famous Xen organic launching pads. The sky is filled with giant microbes. The mysterious little balls of light are flying in from the sky, and being sucked into the portal high in the air.

-At the end of HL1, the g-man takes gordon to three different areas within the microbe sky. He mentons the conquest of Xen while standing in an area with microbe sky that is filled with dead grunts and destroyed military equipment.

- Nihilanth's forces (slaves, grunts, ships, gargs(?), controllers) are never seen in an area with a microbe sky. They only hang out around in a big nebula, and a cloudy area with two suns.

- The Gene Worm warps race-X shocktroopers to earth using a portal fueled by the little balls of light. The shocktroopers routinely team up with all the other race-X species in battle.

- Use the displacer gun's secondary fire while fighting the Gene Worm. The result can be seen in those attachments down there. :)eek:)

So, Race X is from Xen!
It looks like Xen contains two different areas: the nebula where Nihilanth & friends live, and the microbe sky where race-X lives. Some neutral guys (like houndeyes and the manta-bats) live in both.

The G-man, and why the military is there, and why he would show race-X part of Xen to Gordon is anyone's guess, but the rest substantiates the theory perfectly.

What do you think?

Attachments

• It's a bird or a plane!.JPG
    It's a bird or a plane!.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 392
  • No, it's the Gene Worm!.JPG
    No, it's the Gene Worm!.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 505
YEY!!!!!!

i always hated the fact that Race X was a seperate dimension. simply because it was a crappy idea. but now that they are part of Xen it makes more sense to the story and i like it more!

great find!

Brian Damage said:
Nice figuring, but where are the last two pics from?

Use the displacer gun to teleport yourself while fighting the Gene Worm.
You'll end up or the requisite Xen asteroids, and the Gene-Worm is floating in the distance.
I don't think that there are two of 'em. I'd guess that the worm is in between dimensions somehow. Maybe not completely done warping?

Freaky!

Could be why the Gene Worm is partially transparent when it's coming through?

Maybe the Gene Worm's job was to act as a launch pad for the Shock Troopers and not come all the way through. Something that big would have become stuck in Black Mesa. Shephard inconviently started shooting it with lasers, so it retreated.

From that pic, does the Gene Worm look all curled up to you guys? Or is that a bunch of tentacles...?

why not find the name of that map, and noclip around it to get better screenshots

Brian Damage said:
From that pic, does the Gene Worm look all curled up to you guys? Or is that a bunch of tentacles...?

Yup. The gene worm isn't really a worm, it would seem. It's more like a bug with tentacles instead of legs.

The appearance in space could be a mistake, but it'd be a pretty big one if you ask me. It doesn't seem buggy to me at all, and it'd be hard to miss on just one trip there.

I wasn't close to it, fact si the gene worm itself wasn't in the xen-room.. it was showing thru the sky.. so it's a bug.. if they really wanted it to be visible they wouldve put it inside the xen room

Poop. Oh well, since it is in the game after all, I guess that makes it a part of the mythos. Bug or no bug, the fact that it exists means that it's a part of the game.
Even if that one part is a bug, It's one of the better visuals I've seen in the game. :p

It's like how you can go to a room in the hazard course that's been partially destroyed in Decay, and then encounter the same room completely intact two days later in Op4.
You can whine about the continuity error, or you can just assume that there is more than one hazard course.

Besides, the little lights that get sucked into the portal come from microbe-Xen, and the gene worm apparently needs them for teleportation.
The rest of the stuff I guessed still kinda works too. Of all the possible places, microbe-Xen is the most likely home for race-x so far.

I think I'm in denial. :cheese:

Allow me to explain.

I that map, the Gene worm is half on Earth, half on Xen. Xen is the place between Earth, the Race-X world and several others. So, the Gene Worm came to Xen, in the way to Earth.
But only half way - why?

Simply to keep a constant portal.
As long as it stayed divided, any being passing "thru" it would be able to travel quickly, instead of opening a an "in and out" portal, it just used one already open. So the Gene Worm allowed beings "ShockTroopers" to go through it's intestinal system and efectivally manage to transport anything without the necessity of opening a portal.

i.e., the shocktroopers entered the Gene Worm's anus, and got out thru it's mouth.

Makes perfect sense to me.

that theory makes alot of sense, Race X are probably from xen too, but another region, left relatively unexplored...

I don't think they're from the other side of xen, otherwise more emphasis would have been put on them, If something came from the other side of xen, it's probably the combine, Remember when Nihilianth said : "their slaves, we are their slaves" he probably meant the combine (that'd explain why the vortigaunts joined you in your figth against the combine) .

He was not mentioning the combine, I'm (99%) sure that the Combine are a tech, not a race. Possibly it was stolen to a race, but not a race as it is on Earth.

And the Nihlant was mentioning something else, illusive so far.....

Sprafa said:
He was not mentioning the combine, I'm (99%) sure that the Combine are a tech, not a race. Possibly it was stolen to a race, but not a race as it is on Earth.

And the Nihlant was mentioning something else, illusive so far.....

How do you know nihilianth wasn't mentioning the combine?

Anyways, i don't think the combine is tech, i'm pretty sure it's an organisation of some kind, who are trying to do the same to earth that they tried to do on xen...

The lights are pretty darn mysterious. They seem to 'guide' you sometimes as well as their teleportation attraction, stopping and showing you the way to go once you get close enough.

Eejit said:
The lights are pretty darn mysterious. They seem to 'guide' you sometimes as well as their teleportation attraction, stopping and showing you the way to go once you get close enough.

On earth, they're usually accompanied by the sound of a vent fan, and they're quickly pulled trough the vents. I think they lead you by being pulled through the ventilation fans or some other source, towards the worm's portal.

In the part with the dam, they fly past the garg and into the G-man's portal while he's talking on his cell phone.

Also, similar little lights pop up in abundance when the Resonance cascade occurs, when Gordon is sent to Xen, and whenever similar large-scale teleportation energies are used in Decay.

I know all that. I'm talking about the times when they fly forward a little, stay still, and fly away again once you get near enough. A good demonstration is the OpFor empty biodome with the tentacles in it.

Attached are screenshots of the most obvious examples of this phenomenon. There's definitely more too them than simply being mysterious lights attracted to portals, necessary for the geneworm to cross over.

I noticed that too, but I don't know what to make of it. They seem to be associated with the squeeky noises heard on Xen sometimes too. I'd guess that they're alive, but I'm not confident that there's enough proof either way.

Yeah, either they're alive and at probably semi-intelligent at least, or they can be controlled by someone/something to make them act that way.

Yeah.....thats just a glitch.

If you go to the warp place before the worm appears in the battle area, he isn't there in the warp map.

my questiong is..
the Race X was created by valve or gearbox?
cuz I heard that gearbox made the multiplayer

if valve dont create the Race X that is a posibility that Race X is not from the real HL storyline

I don't believe you ever saw Race-X in HL1. I believe that Freeman was already in Xen by the time you first see Race-X in OpFor, so you wouldn't have seen them in HL1.

i dont understand the point of all this... isnt this a HL2 forum, not an Opposing force forum?

Marc Laidlaw wrote the story for Opposing Forces and Blueshift also.

who cares, that doesnt make OpFor not a slapped together add on for a popular game.

Well, you need to consider all the official Half-Life modifications into it. You can take Opposing Force as canon in this.

CreamOfetus said:
who cares, that doesnt make OpFor not a slapped together add on for a popular game.
...which was written by Marc Laidlaw and closely supervised by Valve.

I found it to be fun, and you never know what fun stuffs from Op4 might pop up in HL2. Barney from Blue Shift is apparently a large part of the HL2 plot, after all.

gordon is actually batman and the gman is the joker!!11oneoen

no but seriously wtf?

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
gordon is actually batman and the gman is the joker!!11oneoen

no but seriously wtf?

I smell a mod idea!

Also, why the double-you-tee-eff?

Back