Proper method of overclocking a graphics card?

Shuzer

Reaction score
Wee, second post in hardware today. Anyhow
I've used Rage3d Tweak to overclock my Radeon 9700 pro a bit, went from 276.75/270 to 312.75/306, overall, the performance boost has been noticeable, and I'm happy with it

My question is, is there a rule of thumb when it comes to overclocking a graphics card? Am I supposed to keep the core clock higher than the memory, am I supposed to go up by an incriment, what? I couldn't find any guides on overclocking graphics cards, so I figured I'd ask here

Like I said, my card is running stable and it's a nice performance boost, but, did I set it properly? Or is there a more proper setting to get it running even better?

edit: If I push it any higher with a 6.75 lead over memory I get artifacting, so as far as I can tell, that's as high as I can set it

Do whatever you want. Just be cautious. What's your highest? I've reached 450/780.

btw, some people think you should find out the max and set it atleast 10mhz lower. idk, after i overclock and run bechmarks, i set it back to default. we really dont need to o/c our cards for the games we play. but i have a feeling ill be doing it for hl2.

Originally posted by Shuzer
Wee, second post in hardware today. Anyhow
I've used Rage3d Tweak to overclock my Radeon 9700 pro a bit, went from 276.75/270 to 312.75/306, overall, the performance boost has been noticeable, and I'm happy with it
The 9700 Pro doesnt run at 276.75/270. It runs at 325/310.

well, some general guidlines for OCing are this:
Start by moving up 5MHz. Run 3Dmark or some other graphicall application. Do that until you either get artifactinf or your complocks up. Then drop it to the pervious frequency you had, and increase by 1MHz. Once you founf the max, drop it down 5-10MHz so you don't completly wast your card.

Generaly, memory doesn't overclokc as high core, and when your comp locks up, that's because the memory is too high.

I can put my core on about 360 and my mem at 335......that should be something to shoot for.

Question is if his memory can go that high. That still isnt a Pro version if it started on those clocks, and then the memory is doubtfull to clock that high.

My bad, lol, I've been in disillusion ever since it always Windows always has read my card as a pro

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions

Shockway wave are the last 4 numbers/letters on the ram on your radeon? And was make is the ram, samsung, infineon? With clockspeed like that they are probably pretty good and you could probably squeeze more out by flashing the card with the pro bios.

Back