Proper rotating doors with animated door handles?

SeriousStu

Reaction score
I'm sure I created this thread already... nevermind, I'll create it again.

Basically, I'd like to know how to make a rotating door with door handles that animate when the door is used. I figure it has something to do with the dynamic door props, but when I try to use them nothing happens!

Also, while I'm here, I don't know how to change the direction of the realtime chadows casts by physic props and other models. Can someone enlighten me on that one? Thanks!

Don't know about the second one [about the shadows], but the first one has definitely been done and there are tuts out for it. Just keep looking.. I'm sorry I can't help, but at least I can give you some encouragement. I know some people have made some tuts.

For the door question there are a few ways of going about it. The simplest way would be to create a func_rotdoor as the door and another func_rotdoor as the handle. Then parent the handle to the door, and in the door's outputs create one that targets the handle on use. Haven't tried it myself but I'm pretty sure this should work.

About the shadows, I believe the props' shadows are all generated from a single source, which would most likely be a light_environment. If you change the angle of this it should affect prop shadows. Not entirely sure about this one either I'm afraid, just try them and see.

JFry, in what models directory are the door handles? I looked and I couldn't find them.

I'm not sure, the method I described uses brushes for both the door and the handle tho.

do they use brushes on doorhandles in the game? I thought they had a nice moddle fo the hooked type handle. Maybe that's just a brush?

JFry's method would work, but I'm sure those door handles are models, rather than a manually made brush. I can find models that are doors and have handles, but I can't get it to work... I guess technically you have to set it up so the player can use it and it will animate the door (making it open and close etc), but I don't know how to do it...

I'll have to have a play/search around later. Thanks for the replies though.

Where in the models directories are the doorhandle models? I can probably get them to work if I can just find the models for the doorhandles.

If you want to use the door models in HL2, make a prop_door_rotating and use the models/props_c17/door01_left.mdl model. It has 14 skins, most (if not all) of the HL2 doors. For moving handles, set the hardware type to lever, or push bar if you want a bar. The handle/bar dosen't show up in hammer, but it does in-game.

Played, Hyperjag3! Never knew about the prop_door_rotating entity. It's all so clear now! Got em working no problem - thanks again!

Back