PS3 has no Insomniac (EA and Insomniac partner up)

Tollbooth Willie

The Freeman
Reaction score
Nah jk, but they won't have them exclusively.

INSOMNIAC GAMES SELECTS EA PARTNERS FOR NEW PUBLISHING
AGREEMENT

New Franchise Marks the Independent Studio’s First Multiplatform Release

Redwood Shores, Calif. – May 25, 2010 – Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced a publishing agreement with independent developer Insomniac Games that will bring the studio’s upcoming, all-new franchise to the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system.

This will be the first multiplatform release in Insomniac’s storied 16-year history.

Published through the distinguished EA Partners program, the new title will mark the introduction of a brand new universe from Insomniac, creators of the universally-acclaimed Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank and Resistance franchises that have combined to sell more than 35 million copies worldwide.

The still unnamed title is in production at the company’s Burbank studio. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“Working with EA Partners allows us to extend the reach of our games to a multiplatform audience while retaining ownership of the intellectual property,” said Ted Price, founder and CEO of Insomniac Games.

“We are excited and eager to introduce Insomniac to a new group of gamers while reinforcing to our loyal fans what makes our games special.”

“This is an exciting day for all of us at EA Partners and for gamers everywhere,” said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager of EA Partners. “Insomniac is renowned for their commitment to quality and their ability to create unique, exciting worlds for gamers to explore.

We look forward to help them bring their next blockbuster franchise to the millions of diehard Insomniac fans on PlayStation and the soon to be millions of diehard Insomniac fans on Xbox 360.”

Ship timing for the game was not announced.

For more information on Insomniac Games, please visit www.insomniacgames.com.

There goes the neighborhood that was Insomniac. *Sigh* I loved the Ratchet & Clank series too. Such a pity.

Never thought I'd see the day I would say this.

Better off there than with Activision.

No shit. At least since the first Battlefield: Bad Company and Dead Space came out EA have started to put out quality games, while Activision keeps churning out the piece of shit that is COD.

Well this isn't major news. Ratchet and Clank surely can't go any further, and Resistance will still be exclusive. This applies to a new IP, not the existing ones. Definitely a good business decision on their part.

There goes the neighborhood that was Insomniac. *Sigh* I loved the Ratchet & Clank series too. Such a pity.
Who cares? Resistance was such a mediocre game, don't know why ps fanboys made such a big deal out of it from first place.

kinda off topic but is the PSP dead?? I haven't heard anyone talk about that system in ages. i still have mine but cell phone games are just as fun and ****ing free too

kinda off topic but is the PSP dead?? I haven't heard anyone talk about that system in ages. i still have mine but cell phone games are just as fun and ****ing free too

Far from it, last I heard the PSP Go had sold over 100 units.

I was just reading the news earlier today. PSP sales have dropped dramatically, and PS2 sales have dropped some, but PS3 sales have picked up the slack from the two, keeping Playstation sales unchanged overall.

EDIT:
Far from it, last I heard the PSP Go had sold over 100 units.
Oh, God. aHAAa. I misread and misunderstood this comment. That's actually pretty funny.

Who cares? Resistance was such a mediocre game, don't know why ps fanboys made such a big deal out of it from first place.

Co-op was fun, I played it with my flatmate. There were some nifty things you could do by combining the different weapon types.
But yeah, even so it wasn't stellar.

I didnt realise Insomniac made any other games other than Ratchet and Clank.

Though those games are certainly up there with the best. The comedy in those games is really hard to beat. Its childish yeah, but its like today's ''kid's films'' like Finding Nemo, UP, Monster's Inc, How To Train Your Dragon etc etc.

Its childish humour, but there's things in there only adults will laugh at. It appeals to everyone.

Hell, even my own mum turned to the PS3 just because she loved Ratchet and Clank.

[Edit] I found the first Resistance unplayable. It was like CoD 1 with aliens. It felt and looked terrible. Havent played the second though, and wont, as the first left a lasting impression of crapness.

I didnt realise Insomniac made any other games other than Ratchet and Clank.

Though those games are certainly up there with the best. The comedy in those games is really hard to beat. Its childish yeah, but its like today's ''kid's films'' like Finding Nemo, UP, Monster's Inc, How To Train Your Dragon etc etc.

Its childish humour, but there's things in there only adults will laugh at. It appeals to everyone.

Hell, even my own mum turned to the PS3 just because she loved Ratchet and Clank.

[Edit] I found the first Resistance unplayable. It was like CoD 1 with aliens. It felt and looked terrible. Havent played the second though, and wont, as the first left a lasting impression of crapness.
The main reason I liked the Ratchet & Clank series is because I've always been somewhat of a sci-fi fag despite the light-hearted theme. The humor is a distant second. I guess the action/RPG thing was cool too though, as well as all the weapons and action. It's the only reason why I would want a PS3 in fact.

I really don't care about Resistance. I have to agree with Darkside and Dynasty there. That was one of Insomniac's more overrated series imo.

I'm talking about the PS2 and PS1 days of Insomniac.

This is actually awesome news! Here's why: with Insomniac's knowledge of programming for the PS3 they will be able to help EA FINALLY be able to get stable performance from their ridiculously subpar multiplatform titles. And it won't affect the IPs that Sony owns anyway. This is a win-win-win people!!

Has anybody told Naughty Dog? They were close.

Back