Q's about HL's sdk

shadowSn1p3r

Hunter
Reaction score
Well i decided i might want to play with hl2's sdk and since its not out yet, i downloaded the hl sdk (full package). I have some c++ knowledge, about up to a basic understanding of pointers. Can anyone give me tips on how to start making mods?

Well you can make pretty advanced mods without ever having to touch the SDK, but if you want to take it further, say do something like Natural Selection did, or add nifty features, thats when the SDK becomes important.

But its quite possible to make something different without it.

www.thewavelength.net - Go through some of the basic tutorials, like replacing weapons etc. Brush up on your pointers, you'll need that knowledge :) Practice making small mods, like one that adds a new gamemode or weapon, give it to a couple of mates, get them to try it with you. Good luck :)

thanks for everyone that helped me and dark elf, do u mean like do make like a new ui, you would need to use the sdk, but if u wanted to change the sounds and models,ect, you wouldn't. Right?

"i cant find any good tuts on wave, i can only see a few..."

Look at the "Navigation" list on the left. Click on "Coding" under the "Half-Life" section. You'll see "Articles", "Server Side Tutorials", "Client Side Tutorials", etc. More than enough to keep you busy until the Half-Life2 SDK Source Code comes out.

botman

Back