Question about Jesus...

iamaelephant

Reaction score
First of all, I don't care for religion. I'm not a religious man and I think the whole idea is ridiculous, but that's not what this is about. I just finished watching The Passion of the Christ (which is a disgusting movie that should never have been allowed, nothing but a snuff film), and I'm just curious where the name Jesus Christ came from. Throughout the movie he was referred to as Jesus, Jesus of Nazareth, Lord, King of the Jews, Son of God, Son of Men but never was the word Christ mentioned. So where does the name Christ come from?

Christ comes from the Latin word Christus which, roughly translated, means "anointed". So Jesus Christ essentially means "Jesus the Anointed One". Christ is not simply his surname.

You was suppose to continue it by saying you didn't...gj. :|

Now thats sorted, i can rest peaceful that someone anointed king of everyone isnt going to come and take away my lovely beloved democracy....:D

Zerimski said:
Christ comes from the Latin word Christus which, roughly translated, means "anointed". So Jesus Christ essentially means "Jesus the Anointed One". Christ is not simply his surname.

Excellent, thanks dude.

:-/ I figured everyone knew that

Aw, you didn't like the movie?
I thought it was pretty funny...

First of all, I don't care for religion. I'm not a religious man and I think the whole idea is ridiculous, but that's not what this is about. I just finished watching The Passion of the Christ (which is a disgusting movie that should never have been allowed, nothing but a snuff film), and I'm just curious where the name Jesus Christ came from. Throughout the movie he was referred to as Jesus, Jesus of Nazareth, Lord, King of the Jews, Son of God, Son of Men but never was the word Christ mentioned. So where does the name Christ come from?

His real name was Yeshua Ben Pandira.

The concept of the Christ is abstract; Christic Atoms, the inner Christ, etc. Christ is not Jesus, the Christ is within.. Alot of things like this has been lost and misunderstood/misinterpreted in modern Christianity, unfortunately, since it makes some christians look like a fools, and giving them a reason to justify their fanaticism.. I don't recall Jesus telling people to worship him, rather he, just like Buddha and Muhammed for instance, teached people on how to act and be, and to spread the whole funky love thing we learned about in the 70's.

which is a disgusting movie that should never have been allowed, nothing but a snuff film

For someone who does'nt care, why did you bother watching?

Besides, it what actually happened to him -- remove that European artistic drivel from your mind. Thats what the Romans resorted to for tortures.

It was a fairly lame film. Once you get past the gore and guts it just feels very shallow. Jim looked so fake in that ridiculous gore suit i couldn't take the whippings seriously. I love Braveheart but the passion just didn't do it for me. A lot of those scenes that reminisce seemed incredibly crappy, except the Mary Magdalene scene (JESUS' WIFE !!! )

Mr-Fusion said:
It was a fairly lame film. Once you get past the gore and guts it just feels very shallow. Jim looked so fake in that ridiculous gore suit i couldn't take the whippings seriously. I love Braveheart but the passion just didn't do it for me. A lot of those scenes that reminisce seemed incredibly crappy, except the Mary Magdalene scene (JESUS' WIFE !!! )

Yes, perhaps she was, it's very common in esoteric teachings to having a partner being a requirement, aswell as Jesus was called Rabbi by his disciples, and a Rabbi must have a wife, they were jews so they would obviously think something wasn't right if he didn't have one.

K e r b e r o s said:
For someone who does'nt care, why did you bother watching?

Besides, it what actually happened to him -- remove that European artistic drivel from your mind. Thats what the Romans resorted to for tortures.

I watched the movie because of the huge amount of hype surrounding it - I've been meaning to see it for a while but only just got around to it.

As for "European artistic drivel," what on earth are you talking about? The movie was overly violent and isn't the type of thing that should be released to mainstream media, in my opinion.

I don't care for religion either. However, I watched the Passion of the Christ and I thought it it was pretty good. While violent, it had some very strong and amazing imagery. :)

iamaelephant said:
I watched the movie because of the huge amount of hype surrounding it - I've been meaning to see it for a while but only just got around to it.

As for "European artistic drivel," what on earth are you talking about? The movie was overly violent and isn't the type of thing that should be released to mainstream media, in my opinion.

Bless Mel Gibson for releasing such a film, depicting the truth.

I'm not a religious person at all. Saw the film, thought it had some excellent imagery, and the use of language was quite well done. As far as movies go though, it was pretty much crap. If you didn't already know the whole story walking in, you'd never understand what the hell was going on. Jesus was beat far, far, far too much as well. He'd never have made it past the whipping.

On a totally unrelated topic, why is saying "Oh my god" a bad thing? I remember my old catholic school teacher saying "Excuse me gentleman. Did I just hear someone using the Lords name in vain?" whenever anyone would say it. His name isn't actually "God" though is it? Isn't it Yahweh or something along those lines? So why be so uptight about saying "Oh my god"? Shouldn't everyone spit fire when someone shouts "Oh my Yahweh"?

"Oh my God" is something that most people these days seem to think of as "God help me!", which I think is entirely acceptable.

NapalmAndFriends said:
"Oh my God" is something that most people these days seem to think of as "God help me!", which I think is entirely acceptable.

I've been told off by quite a few people for it. One man actually screamed at me to "stop using the Lords name in vain". I'm talking screaming, in a crowded area, with other human beings mere feet away.

qckbeam said:
I've been told off by quite a few people for it. One man actually screamed at me to "stop using the Lords name in vain". I'm talking screaming, in a crowded area, with other human beings mere feet away.

Fanatic idiot. I think this is the same sort of person who opposes gay marriage. I have never been told of for saying or yelling "Oh my God". Ever.

I use it all the time, and i'm religious. I don't see anything wrong with saying "Oh my god".

By the way, i'm curious why exactly you thought the movie was disgusting? It depicts what happened to jesus. Sure there may be more in it than that, but thats really for the religious people, not the average moviegoer. Much of the film depicts the truth as it was recorded in how he was beat and staked at the cross. The violence may have been a bit extreme in it, but I don't think it would have made the same impact had the violence been less brutal. I think the truth of the brutality lies more towards the extreme spectrum, because I believe strong willed individuals can survive that kind of punishment.

Also, I don't think the film portrays the jews negatively, or tries to instill distrust and hatred in jews among christians, as Jesus himself was a jew.

I'm just curious exactly, what aspect of it do you find 'disgusting' and why exactly do you think it should have been censored? You athiest types are always big on being against censorship, yet when it comes to religions you think there shouldn't be freedom of speech. Hrm.

qckbeam said:

all you say is "turn the other cheek"

either that or just say: "shut the **** up you mother****ing goddam hypocrite" ...works for me :E

I thought "Christ" came from the Greek word "Messiah". At least that's what they taught me in religion class... :\

ray_MAN said:
I thought "Christ" came from the Greek word "Messiah". At least that's what they taught me in religion class... :\
I thought it came from

RiCe...[H] KRISpies [T]

Jesus' number 1 favorite cereal!

/me apologizes

As an open-minded non-Christian, the film seemed to just be one giant guilt trip however the bits I respected were the moments when they showed Jesus hanging out, being cool and telling people how to live a decent life.
Because of this, I basically just think that, if God or Jesus did exist, surely the point is to spread their teachings with examples such as that rather than to spend hours showing a blood-covered man fall over in slow motion to tacky music.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

Raziaar said:
I use it all the time, and i'm religious. I don't see anything wrong with saying "Oh my god".

By the way, i'm curious why exactly you thought the movie was disgusting? It depicts what happened to jesus. Sure there may be more in it than that, but thats really for the religious people, not the average moviegoer. Much of the film depicts the truth as it was recorded in how he was beat and staked at the cross. The violence may have been a bit extreme in it, but I don't think it would have made the same impact had the violence been less brutal. I think the truth of the brutality lies more towards the extreme spectrum, because I believe strong willed individuals can survive that kind of punishment.

Also, I don't think the film portrays the jews negatively, or tries to instill distrust and hatred in jews among christians, as Jesus himself was a jew.

I'm just curious exactly, what aspect of it do you find 'disgusting' and why exactly do you think it should have been censored? You athiest types are always big on being against censorship, yet when it comes to religions you think there shouldn't be freedom of speech. Hrm.

I know the movie only depicted recorded history, and is probably what really happened, but how does that make it okay to film such horrible violence? Is it okay to release a movie showing graphic kiddie rape, just because it's based on a true story? No, it's not.

As for the censorship issue, I do believe that there are some things out there that need to be censored. It's my opinion and i'm fully entitled to it.

Because of this, I basically just think that, if God or Jesus did exist, surely the point is to spread their teachings with examples such as that rather than to spend hours showing a blood-covered man fall over in slow motion to tacky music.

Well, the whole torture and death thing is one of the important parts of the Christian faith, the fact that he died for the sins of mankind. Irregardless of whether you believe that or not, thats the reason so much emphasis of the torture and death was in the movie. The movie was ABOUT the torture and death of Jesus, so I fail to see how any less would be better.

Back