question about power supply and cooling

Codcommando

Reaction score
Im FINALLY ordering a new PC this weekend equipped with all the bells and whistles(cold cathode lights,fancy wiring,super hardware,blah blah blah). Now this computer is gonna run me a little over 3k$ and i was wondering iff the five 80mm fans that come with the case,CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan ,and a 680watt power supply will be enough to cool and power my computer without overheating with extended hours(12+)of play.the specs are as following

ALUMINUM X-Navigator Server 420W W/ Window & Temp Dis,Fan Control

AMD Athlon™64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE

300GB SATA-II 3.0GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

IEEE 1394 CARD AND DRIVER

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio

2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY

Aspire 680W BEAST POWER ATX Power Supply

Creative Labs X-FI XtremeMusic 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

Sicuro RW-670XL 5.1 Gaming Speakers System

DUAL NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

LINKSYS WMP54GS 802.11G PCI Network Card

Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband 802.11g Router with SpeedBooster

please feel free to make some suggestions about what hardware to change etc. like I said this is gonna cost about 3,250$ after shipping,I wanna make sure this thing will be perfect :cheers:

It's all about air flow. Have more fans blowing air out than sucking in, creating negative pressure. Have the out fans at the top of the case, in fans at the bottom and preferably on opposite side to each other to create a flow of air diagonally across the system.

As for the PSU, 680 watts is more then enough. You'd probably get away with using the 420W that comes with the case infact.

And I'd be surprised if you ever used the floppy drive, I've recently removed my one from my system after realising that I haven't ever used it

Back