Question the Source your in.

S

shadowbleed888

Has anyone ever questioned the vision of Valve? : Half Life was a great game, great story line, lots of fun to play, room to carry on – but did Valve even expect to make a second game? They covered their bases by having the opportunity, but they could never have envisioned the monumental success that HL would be and the subsequent truck loads of cash that followed. I see people everyday trying to piece together the conspiracy behind HL and how it will effect and mold our HL2 story line, but one has to ask: How much fore ground story did they lay in HL ready to wind it's self down in the lonely world of sleep to bring us ten years down the line? To City 17. To the Combine. To Antlions. To the fully blossemed Alyx Vance and her one-legged father.

BTW : Does anyone know who wrote the story line for Half Life / Half Life 2? I know that it was the same person, and that I have read his books before, but I forget who it is. Thanks.

shadowbleed888 said:
Has anyone ever questioned the vision of Valve? : Half Life was a great game, great story line, lots of fun to play, room to carry on – but did Valve even expect to make a second game? They covered their bases by having the opportunity, but they could never have envisioned the monumental success that HL would be and the subsequent truck loads of cash that followed. I see people everyday trying to piece together the conspiracy behind HL and how it will effect and mold our HL2 story line, but one has to ask: How much fore ground story did they lay in HL ready to wind it's self down in the lonely world of sleep to bring us ten years down the line? To City 17. To the Combine. To Antlions. To the fully blossemed Alyx Vance and her one-legged father.

BTW : Does anyone know who wrote the story line for Half Life / Half Life 2? I know that it was the same person, and that I have read his books before, but I forget who it is. Thanks.

... HL is like books that aren't written, but played.

Mark Laidlaw wrote every storyelement for the Half-Life series to date, and will probably continue on doing so. One has ti say he has succeeded in creating an appealing game working with VALVe :).

Anyway, they were a new company back then but they knew what they were doing (Even if people didn't know that back then).

Regards
Dead-Inside

Thanks you Murry_H for that link.

Now THAT looks like a fun job!! Sign me Up!

quite an interesting topic youve brought up there. while reading through alot of theories about hl and how its story affects hl2's, and looking at the fantastical conclusions alot of people come up with, i often wonder whether even valve thought that much about it. for example the gman talking to the scientist. at first glance, its just a mumble, but some people have managed to get a complete conversation from it. im thinking valve just created a mumbled sound file that infact made no sense at all, but we have managed to make something out of it. what im trying to say is, i think we often go deeper into the story than valve themselves just for something to talk about!!!

HerzaiMekhtar, you're right. :D
Now i know where did they made up the looks of Gordon! :)

copied from the link of http://www.planethalflife.com/featu...rviews/laidlaw/

PHL: How much of Half-Life 2 did you have in mind when you were writing the story for Half-Life? Has the story evolved much during development?

Marc Laidlaw: The specter of a sequel loomed large near the end of Half-Life’s development, but it never figured into the original storyline. The immediately obvious sequel ideas were spun off into Opposing Force and Blue Shift right away. But our main concern was to leave things open enough so that we could do what we wanted to do with Half-Life 2 when we had time to actually design the game.
Asking if the story evolved during development is a bit like asking if humans evolved from tree shrews. I can tell you that the story has changed drastically in the last few years, while still retaining many features in common with its primitive ancestral design spec. But there will always be those who believe the story was born in a single gush from the spigot in Valve’s forehead on September 29th. Ye shall know them by their bumper-stickers.

Hrm, the scientist looks like he would have been a better barney.

Daiceman9 said:
Hrm, the scientist looks like he would have been a better barney.
I didn't make it... Look at the attachment number. We are almost at attachment number 8000 now.

He would need a helmet though, and I admit that would look pretty good!

Back