Quick OCing Questions........

thehunter1320

Reaction score
A: where do you OCing programs B: which are the best ones C: would a barton 2500+'s retail heat sink and fan be enough to cool itself if OCed to a 2800+?

A) For video card ocing programs check out http://www.guru3d.com
For OCing your processer, you generally do that htrouigh your BIOS (hit f2 in startup)

B)Rage3D for radeon cards and coolbits for nVidia Cards.

C)I own a p4, can't help you.

The 2500+ is actually a pretty poor overclocker... But to 2800 speeds I think is possible on standard HSF.
Best way to find out: Set the shutdown temperature to fairly low levels, then just up it a little... See where the temp end up after running a few laps of 3Dmark. If it shuts down... Either you set the limit to low, or it got to hot :)

ok, what point during startup and is it F2 for all mobo's? cause i got a pre-built (gasp) HP.

It can be any key, Usually its Delete or f1. Usually during boot it will say near the bottom
press *Key here* to enter setup.

Originally posted by thehunter1320
C: would a barton 2500+'s retail heat sink and fan be enough to cool itself if OCed to a 2800+?
the retail hsf can handle being oc'd to a 3200+, albeit very hot.

Your question shouldn't be whether it can do it, but how well can it do it.

You're always best with a 3rd party hsf. If you are on a budget, look at the vantec aeroflow. If not, the slk900 from thermalright is your best bet (heard the 900 doesn't fit on the asus a7n8x)

edit
since you have an hp, you're looking at voiding a slew of warranties by ocing or replacing the heatsink

ok, i get to the bios screen and i see my processor, but how do i change it from 1.83 ghz to X.XXghz? i cant even select the processor

Originally posted by thehunter1320
ok, i get to the bios screen and i see my processor, but how do i change it from 1.83 ghz to X.XXghz? i cant even select the processor
Change the FSB or multplier.

i wonder if you even can oc with an hp.

you have two setting to oc. The fsb and multiplier. Your barton should be at 166 fsb and x11 (=1833)
You should like you don't know what you're doing, so read an oc'in guide like this one here

DAMN! ok, thanks anyway guys, guess i'll have to wait until i build my new computer

Even if you could OC on a dell or Gateway or HP, it would be terrible. OCing by 100mhz would probly be unstable as hell, they have about one fan in the whole comp.

if you thin you overclock with a program then you shouldnt be overclocking. your gonna fry your system.

A 2500+ is @1.8 ghz. since it has 333 fsb the default ram you need is pc2700 which is at 333. to overclock you will need pc3200 which is at 400.
you need to have ram and cpu FSBs running 1:1 for optimal preformance or you can also go 5:4 or 3:2

Stepping is all that matters .
Check at o/c to see what your cpu can do. If you know that a barton 2500 (ADX) @ 2.2 will get you lower speeds than a barton 2500 (AQX) @ 2.6.

My cpu can get up to 4.3ghz with vapochill. :)

Yea I heard vapochill was great.Promethia has the best compressor setup.But the problem is that it is BIG!If you have a Lian Li case they have this box that goes under it.But vapochill is great because the case is small and you don't need a big ass box under your case.

Back