Quick overclocking question (AMD)

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
I finally determined that my motherboard clocks the PCI-E bus separately from the CPU/RAM, which is very good news. I'm running DDR2-800 RAM with the timings manually set, and my CPU is an Athlon II 240 (2.8GHz dualcore). If I increase the HyperTransport reference clock (i.e. the FSB), my RAM will retain its synchronicity with the CPU since it's already synced to begin with, correct? So all I need to worry about is not pushing my RAM and CPU to overheating?

It depends on your motherboard and whatnot. I think that it should work like that, as most of the newer technology does. Old stuff like my Athlon 64 has the FSB tied to both Ram and CPU.

You can just do a google search for overclocking your processor and it will tell you what you need to know.

I did do a google search, but none of the pages I came across ever managed to spell this out in simple terms. I'm a bit paranoid since I've had so many motherboard problems in the past, I just need a simple yes/no answer. Your post is good enough :p

Back