Quicksave dumps

T

twinscythe

I am wondering if there's any internal (or external) method to keep a backup of every quicksave that you make in-game. I think half life keeps like 2 quicksaves just in case you screw one. Maybe there's a way to never overwrite any quicksave so that you have a real traceable record of how you played the game, and you can go back to any stage of your progress.
If thats not possible, then is there a program that lets auto backup a specific file/folder at a press of a hotkey?

no, there's no way of doing it in half life. i guess someone could write an external program that kept an eye on the save folder and automatically renamed quicksave files whenever they changed, but it would have to run in the background and scan the folder often and that would affect your gameplay quite badly. i don't think a hotkey would work as key presses are intercepted by half life.

someone could mod the game itself to increment the quicksave filenames indefinitely, why not suggest it on the mod forums? problem is, if you go back to a previous save it would have to either overwrite the later ones or just always use a filename 1 digit bigger than the highest in the save folder, which would destroy the linearity you're looking for.

you can use save [filename] in the console, but that ain't exactly quick and you'd have to keep a bit of paper beside you to keep track of the next file number

I haven't tried this myself, but, you should try making autosaves of your own. I've noticed that they look like this: autosave01.sav. Perhaps if you make more of them with different numbers, they won't overwrite. You can have like autosave 1 - 100 or so. Not sure if this will work though but its definatly worth a shot.

[This probably would be a dup post, I already made one, but didn't show up]

I was thinking of making a script that would increment saves at a press of a button (probably bind it to F6, so it can do both quicksave and increment save). But it wouldn't be that easy to figure out a script that knows how to increment filenames (since it requires conditional checks).

Back