Quite possibly my future computer

D€vIL²

Reaction score
My family might get this for me as a finishing high school present.

AN ALIENWARE
Intel® Pentium® Processor 840 w/ Dual Core Technology 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Alienware® Approved 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply with Active PFC
AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling System with Alienware® Liquid Cooling
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 Ultra PCI-E 512MB DDR3 with SLI
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
160GB Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround Firewire
Logitech® Z-5500 5.1 505-Watt Speakers

I will be stripping some hardware from the comp I have now and putting in this one. IE. monitor, keyboard, mouse and cd burner.

Its rediculous. I wouldn't say I'm a spoiled kid, and my family didn't used to have all that much money but since I have moved to Buffalo alot of my elderly family is starting to well... die off. and they are loaded :naughty:.

Tell me your opinion on what you would do if given the chance

Pfff... What are you going to do with this? Play PacMan? Commander Keen?

If you aren't confident that you can build your own pc, then I would go for the alienware, although you could build yourself a better pc with the money you would spend on that. How much is something like that gonna cost you?

J_Tweedy said:
se se senor- very nice.

Thats like...not how you spell spanishness? 0_o

Wha? Oh yeah the computer hmm...well if you don't know much about building your own then:
I think you should teach yourself how, using the good ol' internet. Then buy all the best parts (with your parents $$$) and put it together yourself :D

Idonotbelonghere said:
Thats like...not how you spell spanishness? 0_o

Wha? Oh yeah the computer hmm...well if you don't know much about building your own then:
I think you should teach yourself how, using the good ol' internet. Then buy all the best parts (with your parents $$$) and put it together yourself :D

That's what I did (accept I had to work in blistering heat for half a year for the dough :(). It's easy as hell. If some thirteen year old kid can build a PC, then a grown man (maybe not?) like you could surely build one himself.

If you can put card A into slot B, then you can build a PC.

Why dont you make the comp yourself, with parts from newegg? If you dont know how to make a comp yourself, order all the stuff from www.newegg.com and find someone who will put it together for you. You might spend 50 bucks having someone put it together, but you'll save probably $500-$1500 by ordering the parts separate.

u can ship the parts to me and i will put it together for u *cough* lol and possible send most of the computer back

I'm all about gaming right now. I want to be ready for unreal 3. But I also see this comp as an investment, using it for work.

If i were you I would build my own... you can get a far better PC than that if you build it.

WOW if you actually buy that for almost 5 grand you sir are a moron. sure it's alienware but damn you could build a way better PC for like WAYYYYY less.

xLostx said:
WOW if you actually buy that for almost 5 grand you sir are a moron. sure it's alienware but damn you could build a way better PC for like WAYYYYY less.
what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ x1000000000000000000

If somone could compile a list of "The Best" parts I should get i would appreciate it (also good sites when I can order from). I know most of the general componets but I'm a noob when it comes to all the little details of hardware.

xLostx said:

i understand. but its not my money and I wish to not have bother with building it myself. so i guess im a moron. :) thanks for the words people.

If your confident enough, build it yourself, probably save some cash. Tough that Alienware PC sure looks nice!

KoreBolteR said:
cheers ennui.

btw what was your old name.. its bugging me
Audiophile.

i also had accounts before that as Chris-008, Tseng!, and Cylleruion2012. Oh, and selfdestruct.

Ennui said:
Audiophile.

i also had accounts before that as Chris-008, Tseng!, and Cylleruion2012. Oh, and selfdestruct.

a-ha! thats it! u like a change in name then :naughty:

u ever gonna change from ennui to uh sumthing like uhhh KoreRules :angel: ?

KoreBolteR said:
a-ha! thats it! u like a change in name then :naughty:

u ever gonna change from ennui to uh sumthing like uhhh KoreRules :angel: ?
I am not changing again, I've had far too many names. If I did it would either be to Dreamscape or Flowtrip, but I'm sticking with Ennui.

how come you picked ennui.. its a cool name, but does it stand for anything, or u pick it for a reason? :D

Man, im tellin ya, having someone build it from parts is the way to go... i went through that site and selected all the parts i showed in my previous post, and its 400 dollars more :eek: but, if you have the money, buy it.

Raidmax Scorpio-668 Aluminum Tower Case (Case Lighting Blue)
Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply
AMD® Athlon-64 X2 4800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
CPU Fan and Heatsink
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI nVidia nForce4-SLI Chipset w/LAN, 7.1 Sound, IEEE-1394, USB 2.0 Dual PCI-E Motherboard
Kingston Hyper-X 2048 MB [1024MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module
2x Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX 256MB
Maxtor 250 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA-133 16MB Cache Hard Drive
Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy-2 ZS 7.1
Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 Surround Speakers + Subwoofer
Thermal Temperature LCD Display
MS Windows 2000 Professional Edition
Price: $3,679

Like I said I will be stripping some hardware from the comp I have now and putting in this one.Like my monitor, keyboard, mouse and cd burner.

From $4,675 to $3,679 thats alot better. and I think im stickin to it.

if your gonna spend that much money, atleased get some WD Raptors 10,000RPM Hard Drives in there.

I also recommend iBuyPower. Got my PC from them.

KoreBolteR said:
how come you picked ennui.. its a cool name, but does it stand for anything, or u pick it for a reason? :D
Thought it looked cool, it's fairly rare, and also it means apathetic listlessness. Which I have come close to having.

cyber power is really good too, great service ect. My friend and brother both ordered off there. But in my opinion buid it.

sinkoman said:
That's what I did (accept I had to work in blistering heat for half a year for the dough :(). It's easy as hell. If some thirteen year old kid can build a PC, then a grown man (maybe not?) like you could surely build one himself.

If you can put card A into slot B, then you can build a PC.

I made my first at 12 (and it's been running for about 5 years, I'm almost 18). :afro: Indeed, custom > branded, no matter who they are.

D€vIL² said:
I have BF2, I'm in a BF2 clan. I have to run it at medium on my specs now. Thats definitly a reason to make a major upgrade
ROFL, I Have to run on low settings at 800x600 and i still get as low as 15 FPS when i sprint. :LOL: But seriously, its time for me to upgrade too....

D€vIL² said:
I have BF2, I'm in a BF2 clan. I have to run it at medium on my specs now. Thats definitly a reason to make a major upgrade

Upgrade to the point where you can play BF2 on high settings with good rates, but don't try and get a machine that will run Unreal 3. Unreal 3 is crazy resource hungry.

giant384 said:
and y windows 2000?

XP is the best IMO, but if you can (dont know the release date) wait for the new microsoft OS its supposed to be really good

Kamikazie said:
XP is the best IMO, but if you can (dont know the release date) wait for the new microsoft OS its supposed to be really good

What? Vista (aka Longhorn) its supposed to be really good? That buggy crap... I'll stick to my good old XP, thanks.:E

Back