***R520 = Radeon X1800*** (also x1600 and x1300 to come)

Shamrock

Companion Cube
Reaction score
"ATI's R520 is the Radeon X1800

RV530 is X1600, RV515 is X1300"

"WE FINALLY managed to get some solid information's about the R520 codenamed Fudo. Confused?
ATI decided to call the R520 Radeon X1800. We used to talk about R520XT, PRO or XL so new you will have to switch to Radeon X1800XT, Radeon X1800PRO and Radeon X1800XL.

We believe that ATI didn’t want to go for the X900 cliché as this is a brand new generation of products featuring Shader Model 3.0 and some interesting video features. Its marketing machine didn’t want to be that predictable.

Someone at ATI said it's so good that it deserves twice as big a number than 900 and ended up with X1800 as a product name for this new Radeon based on R520 marchitecture.

The mainstream card, based on an RV530 core, will be named Radeon X1600. This card is supposed to fight 6800 standard in mainstream segment. Radeon X1600 should sit around $199 price tag.

The entry level RV515 is going to be called the Radeon X1300. This very affordable ATI cheapo card should land around $99 price mark. ATI will finally offer wide range of Shader model 3.0, HDR and some nice video features for the whole family.

The cards will be launched in the first week of October. µ"

Source:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26011

Great, solid info.

Thanks. ;)

And release date's not too far off!

Cool cool cool :D Nice find. Pretty cool, but I have to say that X1800 doesn't roll off the tongue as good as the 7800gtx, but thats not really important. Can't wait until we see some benchmarks!!

I hope this pushes the prices down on the current x800 series...

whats the x1800 compared to and how much grrr...and i hope theese come agp soon after launch

God damn, these cards are coming out every few months! I don't think that's beneficial or fair for game developers. I'm waiting until probably next Spring until I upgrade my system.

God damn, these cards are coming out every few months! I don't think that's beneficial or fair for game developers. I'm waiting until probably next Spring until I upgrade my system.
Noo.....
Except if your thinking of the 7800, in which makes no sense really...because thats Nvidia's. ATI is making a card to go up against it. Which they will have a similar amount of power.

Well games that push your 3D card usually come out in bursts while the hardware is always improving twice a year. ;)
We will soon have FEAR and then UT2007 to stress this hardware.

And if you hang back about 6 months and don't buy right when it comes out then you can get new tech for a lot cheaper.

duffers20 said:
not got that bad a system just now satch919.

Oh, I know that. But it does seem like I can't keep up sometimes in order to run the games the way they were meant to. It's a tad bit frustrating to see your once top of the line hardware become second or third best in a few months time.

Im going to wait and see if they pass the 7800 GTX

satch919 said:
you really think that?? ive thought for a couple of years that technology has been moving waaay too slow.

Well have a look R520 pictured ( f huge ,looks like big 6800 ultra)
http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?5127

more info:
Other news we are hearing is that ATI love their GT brand so much there will be the GTO and GTO2 launched very soon
Essentially the GTO is a 12 pipeline GT, and GTO2 is X800XL (16 pipeline GT). They have decided that the XL and 850s will be gone for good. So the new lineup will be X800GT, GTO, GTO2, and their new VPUs.

R520 first look at HKEPC !
ATI X1800, X1600, X1300, GTO, GTO2? at HEXUS
Radeon X1800LE aka R520LE has 12 pipelines at The Inquirer
Master slave cards to stay with R580 and all R5xx at The Inquirer

and btw - new RivaTuner 2.0 is out.
link and what is new - http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=3043

Those cards sound sweet as hell, but it doesn't really matter me since I won't get one for at least a year.

Besides, what really good, advanced, games are coming out in the near future that could take full advantage of those? The only one that comes to mind is Elder Scrolls Oblivion, which I've heard will be more graphic intense than any game on the market right now. Besides that, what else...? Quake 4? I'm looking forward to DoD source but my system will probably run that fine..

I'll be like most people and just upgrade once they get a little cheaper.

NJspeed said:
Besides, what really good, advanced, games are coming out in the near future that could take full advantage of those?

UT2007 & F.E.A.R (to a certain extent but not as much as UT2007 & UE3 based games) I think.

$99? How can it be so cheap? I was going to get a Nvidia 6800 next week for like $285. Will the X1600 be better than that? Its significantly cheaper.

$99? How can it be so cheap? I was going to get a Nvidia 6800 next week for like $285. Will the X1600 be better than that? Its significantly cheaper.
It will cost $199.
We don't know.

:( r.i.p agp... But i was waiting on these cards to see if they would release any of the 520 in agp, but i guess theyre not. Im going to have to just get a 6800gt soon.

Benches?

And these names... they just suck.

Why can't we just go back to the old days?

Geforce 3!

Savage 4!

TNT 2!

But noo....

X1800Superkiller+sunslayer ultra XT!

Top Secret said:
Benches?

Geforce 3!

Savage 4!

TNT 2!

But noo....

marketing my friend

Top Secret said:
Benches?

Geforce 3!

Savage 4!

TNT 2!

But noo....

LMFAO!

bryanf445 said:
marketing my friend

I know it's marketing, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it's ****ing retarded.

Why is there a 6800, 6800 GT, and a 6800 Ultra? Why not just go 6700, 6800, and 6900. Or hell, even better:

GeForce 6: I
GeForce 6: II
GeForce 6: III

Why? Marketing. As you said.

Now, if you were your average retard that didn't know jack about computers, and you wanted a new video card, which would you buy?

GeForce 6
or
ATI Radeon X1800 XT SLI Crossfire Now With Shader Model 3.0!

?

Top Secret said:
I know it's marketing, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it's ****ing retarded.

Why is there a 6800, 6800 GT, and a 6800 Ultra? Why not just go 6700, 6800, and 6900. Or hell, even better:

GeForce 6: I
GeForce 6: II
GeForce 6: III

Why? Marketing. As you said.

Now, if you were your average retard that didn't know jack about computers, and you wanted a new video card, which would you buy?

GeForce 6
or
ATI Radeon X1800 XT SLI Crossfire Now With Shader Model 3.0!

?
Possibly the second one. Sometimes people go for the shorter name while others are casually attracted to the long, flashy name.

Yet more information on ATI's next-generation products has made its way into the public domain - This time Anandtech have the scoop. Not a lot of new information all in all, but they do clear up some of the questions about R520's memory bus configuration, as well as mention some other aspects of the cores feature set.

The 90nm R520 components will come in three flavors as we mentioned earlier, all with the X1800 Radeon moniker. The available marketing information claims that the GPU uses an "ultra-threaded quad-core 3D architecture" and a "512-bit ring bus" memory controller. For those of you who know a little bit about GPU architecture, the core-quads split the pipeline in the GPU into groups of four (hence the word "quad"). The documentation hints that there are four quads, so expect to see 16 pipes on this card. There are some "confirmations" of 24pp and 32pp, but the roadmaps clearly say four quads (at least to begin with) due to yeild. All signs indicate that a future generation, R580, will use six quads instead. The 512-bit internal ring bus actually excites us the most; Cell's Elemental Interface Bus (EIB) uses a 16-byte wide quad ring bus, capable of transferring 16-bytes per cycle to the various SPEs. R520's ring bus would actually be four times wider than the bus found on Cell; though this implementation is in R520's memory controller rather than the PPE-to-SPE interface. With all the hype for R520 so far, everyone is banking on the memory controller to put X1800 ahead of G70.

Find the full article here

16 pipes...... This card is going nowhere fast, i really dont see it being faster then the 7800. And seeing how a 6800GT out performs a X850XT PE in FEAR.... I have bad hopes for ATI.

As you didnt read the article they are using "512-bit ring bus" memory controller, so there is some hope, it is not all in pipes.. but we shall see.
And they are using complety new architecture for R520..

The lower fillrate seems alarming at first, but consider several factors. First of all, ATI's traditional core design can do "more" per clock cycle (at least on the R420 design) than NVIDIA. Secondly, R520 has a lot of little tweaks including hardware asissted H.264 decoding. Just last week, we also received details about ATI's revamped memory controller which operates on an internal 512-bit ring bus. There is a lot to speculate about performance, but even with similar fill rates as NVIDIA, there is a strong possibility that other workings in R520 will differentiate the card on a real world performance level.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2532

NikolaX said:
As you didnt read the article they are using "512-bit ring bus" memory controller, so there is some hope, it is not all in pipes.. but we shall see.
And they are using complety new architecture for R520..
Translates into a 256bit memory bus. Marketing gimmick.

This new realse better push the prices down on the x800xt All-in-wonder that i've been wanting forever.

Reaktor4 said:
these names are getting ridiculous

Yeah.

X800 means 1,800, and it comes right after the 9800.

A x1800 would be a 18,000 if i'm not mistaken, and that's completely jumping one generation :O

sinkoman said:
Yeah.

X800 means 1,800, and it comes right after the 9800.

A x1800 would be a 18,000 if i'm not mistaken, and that's completely jumping one generation :O
Well, you're partially right. It is screwed up... but for a slightly different reason. Here's my take on it:

8,000 series
9,000 series
10,000 -> X,000 (since X = 10 in roman numerals) series

So, following that pattern the next series should have either been the XI000 series (continuing in roman numerals) or the 11000 series (going back to regular numbers. Instead, it looks like they chose to mix the two.

The X1800, following their previous pattern of replacing the number 10 with X, would be 101800... which makes no sense, because it's 91,000 higher than the X800... unless they're trying to say that the new cards are 10x better than their last cards. I hope they meant to make it XI but someone accidentally wrote it X1. If it is a typo I might be able accept it.

Back