radeon 9800 xt buggy?

ZeroCool

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal
Asus P4S800 motherboard
intel pentium 4 3000
512 mb of ram
radeon 9800 xt

ok the problem is when i try to benchmark my computer with 3dmark 2003 or any benchmark program it freezes up or my computer screen goes black and my monitor goes on stand by.sometimes the video gets all messed up and its like wiggly lines all over the place going up and down.i already downloaded the latest drivers for the xt and i updated my bios.Im on the verge of getting a new mother board what should i do?!:flame:

First try some different driver versions. Specifically catalyst 3.7, since they seem to be the best damn ATi driver created.

The first thing that pops into my mind with instability and hardware is RAM. I have got a 9800XT aswell and it runs sweeter than pie. But I've got to up the rest of my comp though. 1800+ and 512 megs of PC2100. ;(

Sounds to me like your 9800XT is possibly defective. I say this because my first 9800 Pro was defective and it did the exact same thing your 9800XT does when benchmarking. If you have another working video card laying around i'd swap it out for the 9800XT and see if you still have the same problem.

Hehe... i hope that ATI isn't gonna get that "crapy drivers" reputation again... =)

Originally posted by |SwE|FishStick
Hehe... i hope that ATI isn't gonna get that "crapy drivers" reputation again... =)

Seems to be heading in that direction...

Originally posted by Sgt.Igneri
Seems to be heading in that direction...

I think you're just in the 1 percentile of people who don't like the new drivers.

I've been using the 3.10 beta drivers (only installed them to try to fix another game, too lazy to go back), before that I was using 3.9 and 3.8.. never had any problems. I was spooked about the monitor thing, but when that turned out to be poppycock (or atleast seems to have turned out to be), I installed and have had no issues, so yay

I had graphic problems and random freeze ups and crashes with the game Call of Duty while using the 3.9's. Went back to 3.7's - no problems.

Originally posted by $pazmatazz
I think you're just in the 1 percentile of people who don't like the new drivers.

3.8 and up have so many compatibility issues it isnt even funny. Do you read the rage3d forums?

The 3.10 hotfix did some things, but it really didnt even help most people.

However, the omega 3.9's are excellent.

but do you know whats wierd? I took out the xt and put it in my fathers mother board which is a ABIT max 3 and it works perfectly its really wierd but he has 1 gig of dual channel ram i suspect its my mother board because it runs just fine in 3dmark when its doing the game benchmarking but when it gets to the cpu benchmarking it freezes.and sometimes when im surfint the internet my computer freezes then that VPU Recovery program comes up and says that my graphics card stoped responding to graphic commands or something like that its getting very annoyying :( ill probably send it back to get another one cause these things arent cheap!:angry:

turn VPU and fastwrites off...

fastwrites enabled should be slightly faster but it's not, if you have installed cat 3.7 to get COD to work go back to 3.9 and switch off vpu and fastwrites, it worked for me.

ive been having 3.9 cat installed and fast write was already off and it still does what it does.Freezes more when im on the internet than doing anything else :(

Originally posted by ZeroCool
ive been having 3.9 cat installed and fast write was already off and it still does what it does.Freezes more when im on the internet than doing anything else :(

You don't have anything overclocked, do you?

well before when i had a 2.4 i overclocked to 2.7 on the mother board i have right now the ASUS P4S800.But then i got the 3.0 and when i put that in my mother board every thing messed up.i think i messed up the motherboard when i overclocked because sometimes my computer wont even start up.

Make sure the fan on your 9800XT is running. A few people have had a problem with the fan shitting the bed on the Built By ATi boards.

Originally posted by iamironsam
Make sure the fan on your 9800XT is running. A few people have had a problem with the fan shitting the bed on the Built By ATi boards.

If his fan wasnt running his card would be long gone.

400 MIGHT just be cutting it a bit short, depending on the brand. What brand is it?

i read 350 is a mimimum to run the card,

im getting true550 from antec just to be safe.

ya i overclocked my crappy mobo, it never turned on from then on, i called my freind he just came switched the buttons on my mobo, resetting the default settings. then it started up again,

i changed somethign from 100 to 133, i dont know what it was, it just went dead. never started up, good ol freind saved me $40/hour in just 4 minutes.

god i love having freinds who know about computers.

P.S. i think its just a given on how much free software i get =P,

*** FOR THE RECORD I NEVER ACCEPTED FREE SOFTWARE OF EVER HAD ONE, ALL MY SOFTWARE IS LISCENCED AND PAYED FOR.

well it came with the case but i found out that its 450 so ima change my motherboard to the max3 just to see cause my dad has a max3 and i put the XT on his computer and it runs just fine

and the really wierd thing is it wont mess up until i go in games or i go on the internet.My Asus P4s800 motherboard goes up to intel 3.0+ but i suspect when i overclocked my 2.4 ghz to 2.7 ghz i fried something on the motherboard cause now when i put a intel 3.0 in the computer is acting all fregin wierd and stuff.I HATE ASUS!! im going with ABIT:flame:

dude lol, im buying asus p4c800e deluxe, i dont think i wanna hear people talk shit about asus mobo lol, kind of freaks me out ARH!!!!!

but hopefully mine wont **** up with the asus 9800xt, so thats 2 asus', they best be compatibale or im going postal on someone.

and the really wierd thing is it wont mess up until i go in games or i go on the internet.My Asus P4s800 motherboard goes up to intel 3.0+ but i suspect when i overclocked my 2.4 ghz to 2.7 ghz i fried something on the motherboard cause now when i put a intel 3.0 in the computer is acting all fregin wierd and stuff.I HATE ASUS!! im going with ABIT:flame:

let me get this straight, you hate Asus because you think you may have fried something on an Asus board while overclocking?

lol.

im mad at asus because their cheap motherboards cant even handle a 300 mhz increase.So anyone that gets asus never ever OC your processor.

finally fregin IT WORKS was the motherboard now i have my Abit Max 3 motherboard TIME TO DO SOME FREGIN GAMING!!!
*Hugs Working 9800 Xt and computer* :cheers:

im mad at asus because their cheap motherboards cant even handle a 300 mhz increase.So anyone that gets asus never ever OC your processor.

Hmm...i've known plenty of overclockers that got much more than a 300 MHz increase with Asus boards, but whatever.

Back