RAM bottleneck?

Dinnesch

Space Core
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got a 2nd hand secondary PC to use when i'm at my dads house, with these specs:
Pentium 4 3.4GHz(stock)
1GB DDR 133MHz OC'd to 166MHz
Radeon 3650 AGP 512MB
80GB HDD
Windows XP 32bit

These specs look pretty good, but I think the slow RAM bottlenecks the whole PC.

EG in TF2 I get like 10-15FPS when a lot is going on, and it doesn't really matter what the settings are, the minimum FPS doesn't change while the maximum does.
Also CoD4, which is supposed to run smooth on medium/high usually gives me around 12FPS on low when there is a lot of shooting.

Do you guys think replacing the RAM with something faster will significantly improve the performance?

Just play older games - games that were designed to be run on a system from that era.

If you try to play games designed around dual and quad core systems, it isn't going to run well.

You might get amazing framerates from games from a 7 years ago, but trying to play intensive games that just came out are going to be too much for it.

If you had a PCIe x16 slot and a new graphics card and RAM, then they would run well. But you've got an AGP slot, and so you are going to be pretty limited on graphics card selection.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime on it. However, DDR RAM would be extremely cheap, so you might try it anyway if you are desperate for more performance from it.

Back