RAM Problem

VirusType2

Reaction score
Recently, I've had my image editor tell me there isn't enough memory to load the image, then it locks up and crashes.

By right clicking 'My Computer' in Windows XP, it states that I have 880MB of RAM. It should say 1024MB. I have two 512 MB modules that I've been using since 2005.

I took out both RAM modules and cleaned the dust with compressed air, then put them back in.

When I booted up the PC, I checked the BIOS and it said 1024 MB, so I figured everything was fine now. But when I right click 'My Computer', it still says 880MB.

Any idea what is wrong?

Do you think it is an OS setting, a bad RAM module, a damaged Motherboard, or what?

yea, is that what it is? I don't even use this computer for games. Yeah I see now, 128 MB reserved.

thanks.

also, try starting your pc up with 1 stick at a time...make sure they are both functioning properly.

you could try peeing on your motherboard if you want as well.

yea, is that what it is? I don't even use this computer for games. Yeah I see now, 128 MB reserved.

thanks.
You might be able to reduce the amount of ram allocated to the graphics, check bios and graphics driver settings.

Yeah. I assumed that it was shared, and would only use it if it needed it - like if I was running a graphic intensive program (usually full screen anyway). I didn't know it would reserve the RAM where windows could no longer use it.

I recall upping it to 128 MB in the BIOS a while back, so I'll put it back on 64 or whatever.

Back