random reboots on new build

RidleyRockets

Reaction score
It was all going far too well with my recently built pc but now i'm having random reboots and i live in constant fear. Some times it's fine for hours, others it will reboot 2 minutes after logging on.

The specs are..

Windows 7 home edition 64bit
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Socket AM3 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD 770 Socket AM3 6 Channel Audio Out ATX Motherboard
PowerColor HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
Arctic Cooling Freezer-64-LP
G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
LG GH22NS50 22x SATA DVD±RW
Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm
Coolermaster Elite 335 Case
Corsair 400W CX PSU
Belkin wirles g+mimo network card.

The cpu and gpu temps all seem fine and run well within the safe zones. I don't think it's the power supply but other than that i'm stumped. I'm dreading it being the memory or hard drive as that means i have to go through ebuyers customer service.

I miss my mac. Any ideas?

Could be wonky memory or perhaps a driver issue. Do you notice a quick blue screen? Turn off the automatic restart in Startup and Recovery options. Have you checked the Event Viewer?

If you don't find anything with that try each memory stick individually, and swap slots.

There's no blue screen, it just shuts off straight away then reboots. The plug on the PSU isn't a great fit and is pretty wobbly which is making me think that it has something to do with it. Sometimes it shuts down and doesn't reboot but when the PSU plug is nudged slightly it then reboots.

In event viewer it gives event 41, kernel power. I'll test the memory and then consider turning to jesus for help.

Oh and also it has done the same shut down and reboot dance in safe mode.

Could be wonky memory or perhaps a driver issue. Do you notice a quick blue screen? Turn off the automatic restart in Startup and Recovery options. Have you checked the Event Viewer?

If you don't find anything with that try each memory stick individually, and swap slots.
Do exactly this. You can try a memory test if you have to have both sticks (or whatever the case)
There's no blue screen, it just shuts off straight away then reboots. The plug on the PSU isn't a great fit and is pretty wobbly which is making me think that it has something to do with it. Sometimes it shuts down and doesn't reboot but when the PSU plug is nudged slightly it then reboots.

In event viewer it gives event 41, kernel power. I'll test the memory and then consider turning to jesus for help.

Oh and also it has done the same shut down and reboot dance in safe mode.
If you suspect your PSU, then it sounds like there's something wrong with the PSU. Did you get a cheap PSU or something?

Personally, I suspect your wireless adapter driver. (regardless if it's installed correctly and working) If you want to troubleshoot you can uninstall the driver and poke around on your computer for a few hours to see if it shuts down. If it doesn't, then it's your adapter.

Could also be your video card driver. Have you tried a different one?

I was getting random resets my first couple of days with my new computer. This was something I had never had to deal with before in my life. I turned off the automatic restart in Startup and Recovery options, and I caught the culprit, it was my wireless adapter driver. Then I got resets again a week later from using a really dumpy video card (FX5200) and driver.

I replaced both items and I haven't had a problem in a month so far.

Anyway, I don't know - I haven't heard of this before. Try this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...f/thread/a611d79d-9865-4a8e-917b-74b0a891912f

If you don't find the answer there, try looking elsewhere:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...5&aqi=g10&oq=kernel+power&fp=e8d6ef47431c6a4a

but when the PSU plug is nudged slightly it then reboots.

WAIT what? Replace that shit immediately.

Sounds like if you bump the plug, the PSU gives out more/less power and the computer thinks that there is something wrong. Then it restarts or whatever.

Could be:
a driver error
GPU (power?)
RAM (seated correctly? faulty?)
PSU

It's a new build so there may be a grounding issue from when it was put together. (use all the screws to put in the mainboard? that kind of thing)

If temps ever go high then it could be CPU HSF not mounted right. (but you say they are good so nvm)

Looks like it is probably the wireless card driver, after uninstalling them i'm random reboot free for the moment. I'll see if it holds out then return to shower virusType2 with praise.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Looks like it is probably the wireless card driver, after uninstalling them i'm random reboot free for the moment. I'll see if it holds out then return to shower virusType2 with praise.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Make sure you've given it plenty of time to make sure the problem is gone before trying other drivers for it (if you even plan to).

Sorry don't have time to read through the whole post but I had the exact same reboot problem. It was a dodgy HDD which I had replaced. It would always make a strange noise before rebooting so keep an ear to it while it's running.

The bitch tricked me for three hours into thinking everything was ok then rebooted.

Tomorrow i'll test the memory and maybe reinstall windows 7. I will also kick a 4 year old right in the face.

You can do the Windows memory test when you boot.
Windows Memory Diagnostics can also been accessed via Windows Boot Manager or Boot Menu with the following steps:

1. Restart the computer.
2. On initial boot up screen, press F8 to bring up Advanced Boot Options menu.
3. On the “Advanced Boot Options” menu, press Esc key to go to Windows Boot Manager screen.
4. In “Windows Boot Manager” screen, press Tab to select Windows Memory Diagnostic in the Tools section.
5. Windows Memory Diagnostic utility will launch, and continue to follow steps listed above.

Note: On some systems, Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool may be selectable on the first boot menu screen. On some dual-boot or multi-boot systems, Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool may be accessed via F8 key.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...s-7-and-vista-with-windows-memory-diagnostic/

I tried testing the memory through windows and all was well, i'm going to try with memtest anyway since the windows one is apparently not so hot.

I'm still kicking a 4 year old in the face untill this is solved.

Reboots are a serious error. You sure you RAM is fully seated, and the tabs locked? Because RAM will do that.

The other thing is obvious - you said if you bump your power supply cable, the computer reboots? I mean, that's not even cool at all. I would replace that immediately. (whether the cord or the PSU) This might be the real problem.

Is your outlet even grounded? It might just "supposed to be.", but not really. It happened at my house. I never would have known if not for my Surge suppressor lights.

Reboots are a serious error. You sure you RAM is fully seated, and the tabs locked? Because RAM will do that.

The other thing is obvious - you said if you bump your power supply cable, the computer reboots? I mean, that's not even cool at all. I would replace that immediately. (whether the cord or the PSU) This might be the real problem.

Is your outlet even grounded? It might just "supposed to be.", but not really. It happened at my house. I never would have known if not for my Surge suppressor lights.
I've taken the ram out and reinserted it so we will see if that does anything. There was also a missing screw to connect the mobo to the casing which i sorted out.

The computer doesn't reboot if you move the psu plug, i think it was a coincidence that it rebooted when i touched it as i haven't been able to get it to happen again even with a good wiggling. The outlet is also grounded and fine.

If the ram wasn't seated correctly do you know if that would register as errors when testing the memory?

I don't know.

I've had dust build up on RAM become the barrier between daily resets and no problems at all.

I just removed the RAM, hit it with an air gun and replaced it.

It's a new build so there may be a grounding issue from when it was put together. (use all the screws to put in the mainboard? that kind of thing)

this was my problem with my last build, at least that's what i narrowed it down to...i got a new PSU and it still happened...but when i got my new case i installed the mobo again and everything is fine. (i don't have all the screws, 1 is stripped)

I think it's fixed now, 5 hours and no crashes. It looks like either the ram wasn't inserted right or one of the connections to the power supply may have been loose.

Thank you all for the help.

Back