Re-installing HL2 on my new computer

D

deveraux83

I am about to buy an entirely new system and I have heard from a friend of mine that HL2 might not install on that system since Valve keep a copy of system specs of the machine that i registered in. I was just wondering if this is true and how I would go about getting Valve to allow me to install the game to my new system?

Thank you very much for your time!

deveraux83 said:
I am about to buy an entirely new system and I have heard from a friend of mine that HL2 might not install on that system since Valve keep a copy of system specs of the machine that i registered in. I was just wondering if this is true and how I would go about getting Valve to allow me to install the game to my new system?

Thank you very much for your time!

Your friend is mistaken.
Simply stop using the steam account on the old computer (to be safe ;)) and download + login steam on the new one.

You can have Steam installed on more than one machine, but only use one online at a time. I imagine if the IP's used by the account differ too much and too widely Valve will close the account as it would appear to them as a hacked account. But otherwise its fine.

If you backup and copy the local files over to save not having to redownload everything, delete the clientregistry.blob file or it thinks its in its old location still and will probably try redownloading (happened to me when I moved it across to another drive)

Does he need to use the same userid/account or can he create a new one?

Back