really the only thing after the source engine is...

Peks

Reaction score
to make realistic clothes and hair...but after that, aside from better textures theres really nothing else to make out of a game engine. its simulated all in source. can you think of anything else that could come next?

when the radio was invented they said "close the patent office, everything has been invented!"

to make an engine simulate life, what else needs to be done aside from things listed after source?

yea i had a quote somewhere where the director of the patent office said something like:

"everything that can be invented has been invented" -1902 (way b4 the pc)

Didnt Bill Gates say we would never need more that 64k RAM?
LOL

how bout flowing water? what about an ecosystem in a game that develops on its own and forms new creatures, bugs, flying insects, etc...EH eh?

Originally posted by Xtasy0
how bout flowing water? what about an ecosystem in a game that develops on its own and forms new creatures, bugs, flying insects, etc...EH eh?

yea i forgot that he said if you made a bucket outta wood, filled it with water and shot out the side, the water wouldnt flow out.

ecosystem...i dunno

what´s about artificial intelligence? a game that really learns from your behaviour? i think, peks opinion is a little bit too briefly meant.

My brother is doing a computer science course soon, and has just about learned C++ and he knows alot about AI. He was talking about it to me the other day. He was saying that one day people hope to make a game AI that Learns from the very beggining.

I think he said it would work by giveing a human model as many restrictions as possible such as haveing so much strengh in their legs and bone joint restrictions. Then you would set up a system of algorithmic sumthin loops. Or sumthin technogablaly and it would eventualy learn to walk its self.
It would also learn from its mistakes and others and basicly would eventualy form a realistic AI behavor. Once the process is complete you simply copy the code to make endless baddies.

cool eh (even if i explained it crap)

i'll ask him again as soon as he gets bk from paris! :p

Arg, could you kill an AI model which was begging for it's life?

Scary thought.

Then a computer that learns how to grow legs... ARGH!!

/me yells "WATCH OUT! A RUNAWAY COMPUTER!!"

What about a realistic sky with stars that move as they should at night time, and proper cloud and weather systems? Imagine a game where storm clouds gather depending on the season, then lighting, thunder and rain... then the clouds go away and the sun shines through :/

That would be awsome.... but probably not until Halflife 10 comes out (other wise known as "The Matrix" 0.1 prealpha)

and persistent worlds, that grow and expand dynamically as you play, like grass and tress which grow, seasons, summer, falls, winter, spring...theres much much more to do

Originally posted by Peks

"everything that can be invented has been invented" -1902 (way b4 the pc)

The only problem with that is that the chance of new things will become rarer and rarer. Its the sad truth. I think it will be a long time until another FPS comes out after D3 and HL2 mainly because now the bar has been raised and in order to keep up in the industry, Game developers will have to deliver more and ofcourse this will take longer time. HL2 took 5 years in the making.

Eventually, by my theory, we will oneday, in this millenium, run out of ideas and the precious sayings about always something to be learned will actualy begin to dwindle short and the end of humanity will fall after this. This is a serious theory really. Just think, almost every idea has been created. Take for example music, Is there really gonna ever be a new type of music?Think maybe 3000 years from now, Can there really be original music? The zombie movies have all been made, the sci-fi alien movies have been done to death, the romantic stories have all been made, The car chase is getting boring in movies, The robots against humans movies have been overdone, the mideival movies have already been made, Now the comic book characters wil soon all ebe done, really when you think of it...nothing can be original in this day of age.;(

How many more alien type movies can we possibly see in our lifetime or Alien games for that matter, what if HL2's story is wickedly cool then what other game after that involving aliens can beet it??

so basically you dont want half life, you want....Real-Life!!!

This would be good as most of the time out in the world people get a bit annoyed if you run around shooting things.

I would love walking through a realistic jungle with all sorts of creatures and realistic water and stuff. Not that it's not possible, it's hard copying how REAL jungles would behave.

Also as technology advances at a rapid rate, the game makers have to keep up, which will be a hard task in a few years time.

Originally posted by Cleric
so basically you dont want half life, you want....Real-Life!!!

This would be good as most of the time out in the world people get a bit annoyed if you run around shooting things.

i want real-life the game, yes i do, it would be awesome to have an FPS that was a simulation of the real world, and mirrored it very closely, and you could go on shooting rampages, or be a saint, and the world would grow as you play, it would be persistent, etc..and i know postal 2 is kinda like that, but its too...hmm i dunno...its too zany, too over the top, oh well, it wont happen anytime soon, and it would probably be boring.

I believe the time it will take to develop these kinds of games will get longer and longer as the technology increases, and the expectations of gamers goes with it. The 5-year cycle for Source and Half-Life 2 will likely be the norm, which probably means only the big game companies will be able to afford to develop 'A'-class games.

One problem that has been growing slightly, is not with the technology but the people who use it and develop it. The technology that we have at the moment could allow us to create some truly amazing games, way better than HL2 but game developers simply dont yet have the experience to use it. Its advancing too fast for them to catch up.

I think in the end, We will never run out of idea's.

to create a realistic sky or a fully dynamic trees and stuff are absolutly not neccesary for a game. u could better fake the "dynamics", cause this is easier to code and doesn´t need so much CPU power.

i think realistic hair, realistic skin, fluid physics and virtual reality are the next steps for games.

Just think of a game that would lets say simulate New York, "real life" graphics with all the facial expresses and stuff like that, you could get a job, be a hooker, be a mobster, be a bum a millionair the next day. Also let's say the brooklin bridge collapses, the game authors send out a file or something and it happens in the game too, to keep up with the real happennings..
Maybe...... 100 years from now... its possible.

Originally posted by smilez
What about a realistic sky with stars that move as they should at night time,

Operation Flashpoint had that

I had an idea about an ultimate game engine that actually uses simulated matter to create solids and liquids and such. It'd need like a super-computer (by todays standards) so we wouldn't see it for a while but imagine what it'd be like :O

Also games need to move away from the restrictions of a monitor screen sooner or later, into something similar to virtual reality. I'm just talking about ways to increase realism here coz that seems to be the topic. Ask me I like pixels and shit so im not too bothered.

Radiskull - I thought that was real at first... then i was like OMG IT WAS FAKE!!!!!

Then i looked at it again and some of his hair was dodgey, but apart from that it was REALLY realistic.

If game's ever get that good they better improve the voice acting. :b

I'd like to see real-time raytracing. That would change the way games look completely.

Also if we ever managed to construct a useful neural net that would be cool too.

Radiskull i realy though that was a picture :0 amazing that can be done.

Direwolf - Voice acting was exelent in GTA: VC and even thought the GFX wernt that great that made up for them. People just need to puy as much attention to detail as they do and itll make up for any imperfections.

heres an awesome idea for AI in a game. The AI would have to be able to learn and would come out of the box with just basic knowledge, like the skills of grunts in HL1. As you play through the game, they learn and the game gets harder. No need for difficulty levels! If you play crappy, they won't need to learn much before wiping you out but if you play well, their survival instinct would kick in and they would quickly try to adapt. Only problem with this is that the game owuld need to be pretty long so the AI has time to learn. After you're done then you can play through again using the smart AI (like playing through on a higher difficulty). The game would have a lot of replayability. Maybe even let people export their AI so other people can play against them or have AI vs AI to see who has better AI!

Sorry, I started rambling, I still think its a cool idea though.

I think minor improvements should be made to graphics. The small details such as total elimination of clipping (weapons going through walls etc.), rather than having set animations, let the animations deviate according to the situation.

Things that can be improved a lot are:

1) AI - HL2's looks pretty cool, but I always see the flaws. The problem is, if AI becomes too real, games would be much too hard. Think of games like Splinter Cell. It is veeeery generous to players when it comes to being caught. Even if they are spotted, the enemy forgets about them a minute or so after. The balance between realism, fun and playability must be kept.

2) Visual Output - Virtual Reality is definitely the next step. I can't wait! Also, new types of input might be neat as well...it would be a lot of hardware, but some kind of walking treadmill would be cool, workout while you play! Also, maybe a gun rather than a mouse :D

3) Creative Storyline - Sure, every genre of storytelling and movie might have been done, but that doesn't mean you still can't make it entertaining. As long as you're telling your own story and keeping it fresh, people will like it!

What about a realistic sky with stars that move as they should at night time, and proper cloud and weather systems? Imagine a game where storm clouds gather depending on the season, then lighting, thunder and rain... then the clouds go away and the sun shines through :/

Go play Asheron's Call or Dark Age of Camelot, (most) MMORPG type games have that. Although i'm not to sure how you could implement that into an fps map.

Radiskull, That picture of that boy brings me to a point.
We have the technology to do all this great stuff to video games, even creating your own ecosystem and watching it grow if you could put all the physics, wind speed, bacteria growth rate, and everything else...it would take time but you could do it...Only problem is, we don't have the hardware to do it. Our technology is nothing if we can't execute it. And we are brginning to execute that technology but it will take awhile for NVada and Radon to develop it.

That picture was scary...I'm going to go look at it again

Radiskull, wouldn't those graphics such as the head of the boy make gaming THAT much more immersive...hell it may actually lead to mistaken identities lol. Wow...you would actually think your the guy in the game

"What a mind job"

One word, Fable. It has grass that grows, seasons, u can cut the grass and it will stay that length till it grows, u grow up, get facial hair, wife, house, barfights.

If AI gets to advanced...
Wouldn't uninstalling be murder? :)

Yes a major imprivement after SOurce, possibly its fixed in SOurce right now?!?! is clipping. If two dynamic objects, like two dea bodies, fall ontop of eachother, they go right into eachother. Ive seen pictures that showd this, but they are about 3-4 months old already, so maybe it was taken care of?

Back