Red Tide Weapon Renders

Z

ZoSo

We have some new weapon renders to show off first, that our new weapon modeler Operativex created.

This first shot is of the Franchi SPAS-12
spas2.jpg

These next 2 are of the Glock 18C.
glock1.jpg
glock2.jpg

We now need weapon skinners to help us complete these and more models. If you are interested let me know. You can contact me by email or through the forums at the site; both address are listed below.

The site is: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/RedTideMod/Index.html
Our Email is: [email protected]

poly counts?

They're good basics, but there are horrible smoothing errors all over the meshs. Expecially in the trigger guard on the glock. The stock for the the SPAS-12 could use some work as well.

Jesus this is gonna be quite sad with all the mod teams using the "high Polyness of HL2 NOT to their advantage"

Many people will take the concept of HIGH POLY the wrong way.

Just because HL2 supports more polies does not mean:

A: You can have 40 triangles making up simply something like a trigger as it will hardly be seen anyway, Something like 16 triangles should be good enough to make a trigger for a high poly game.

B: You can waste needed polies on making the gun appear ROUNDED at the edges, what a damn waste of polies.

c:Your gun(s) should be roughly around 2000 polies, too much more than that and it means you are innexperienced with the term "Optimization"

This is one of the reasons why Source engine has something called NORMAL MAPPING and LOD. Both are used to create quality graphics at performance levels.

This is not pointing a finger at you Zoso, this is a general informal message too many of the mod makers who somehow believe Source engine is capable of ANY poly count, which is wrong. I've seen too many models so far that are TOO high poly.

My first prediction is that some mods will experience overload and run like 5 fps because they were unnefective at learning the basics to low poly modeling such as Optimization. I will laugh at all the mods that experience things like online lag and blame it on Source engine when the truth is that those extra 15,000 triangles they modeled for thier moels are whats really lagging them.

I understand what you mean cyborgguineapig and realize that they probably aren't optimized. But keep in mind these are not my models. I rendered them in Lightwave and that's why the appear to have so many polys. The Spas is 2061 polys and the Glock is 1317 and they could probably look nicer with those kind of numbers but like I said I don't think have been optimized yet.

I do see what SidewinderX143 means about the trigger area, and I'll relay that back to the my guy.

fix those errors and i think it will look ace if skinnec/textured/normal mapped right..

Originally posted by cyborgguineapig
A: You can have 40 triangles making up simply something like a trigger as it will hardly be seen anyway, Something like 16 triangles should be good enough to make a trigger for a high poly game.
16 is a little low. I'd say about maybe 24 is reasonable.

B: You can waste needed polies on making the gun appear ROUNDED at the edges, what a damn waste of polies.
Rounding at the edges is stupid, but using a few more polies on the round parts so that the smoothing is correct is very smart when you're in a dynamically lit environment.

c:Your gun(s) should be roughly around 2000 polies, too much more than that and it means you are innexperienced with the term "Optimization"
You're obviously inexperienced in the art of "intelligence." 2000 may be okay for a pistol, but for large, detailed rifles, you usually need more than just 2000.

This is one of the reasons why Source engine has something called NORMAL MAPPING and LOD. Both are used to create quality graphics at performance levels.
LOD doesn't work on first person weapon models, and normal mapping would look stupid becuase usually mechanical objects look weird with normal maps.

This is not pointing a finger at you Zoso, this is a general informal message too many of the mod makers who somehow believe Source engine is capable of ANY poly count, which is wrong. I've seen too many models so far that are TOO high poly.
I compiled a 4500 poly weapon + hands into HL1 and it ran fine on my 650MHZ P3 and GeForce2...Not saying that you need that many polies, but I'm guessing, you know, just a guess, that the Source engine can handle more than HL1.

My first prediction is that some mods will experience overload and run like 5 fps because they were uneffective at learning the basics to low poly modeling, such as optimization. I will laugh at all the mods that experience things like online lag and blame it on Source engine when the truth is that those extra 15,000 triangles they modelled for their models are whats really lagging them.

The last part of the folding stock looks like a brick, its not meant to be quite that wide. Its the same thickness as the skinnist part of the top of the spas.

Heres what i mean, i made it a little lame picture, cause inm not tryin to show you up or anything, just the only way i could explain it.

Aside from the shading errors and the before-mentioned folding stock issue I think they are coming along fine. The grip on the glock might could use some help though. It's a little on the blocky side.

the grip on th glock seems to long(could be angle)...ive fired a compact a few times and it didnt seem that long

.....looking at some pics its ok.....i guess you wouldnt see it anyway.

Hey Thanks ankalar you wank, You didn't have to spend the time on spell checking my ******* message. Sorry I was in a ******* hurry and wanted to get my message out quick. Sorry I couldn't spend half an hour like you probably did in your post to seem spell error free just so you wouldn't come off as a hypocrite when spell checking my message.

Originally posted by IchI
lmfao, urrrrr. Those models are prity badly done. They just look crap. No offense.

Have got on your case about this before, but you always seem to post like this. Why don't you actually serve a purpose to the modelers and the boards by giving comments on exactly what needs work and what they could do to imrove the models, instead of jsut saying that they look like crap.

Some ppl just are not equiped to critque properly. And I understand there's going to be a certain amount of competetion going on and thats good - we ought to be at least civil to each other though :).

I think the models would look alot better with more time spent on smoothing groups.

ang about

www.3dtotal.com has a cool low poly weapon tutorial and is well worth a look for its other ones too, will teach u lots of the basics. guns shouldnt need to have too many polys in them anyway cos they are fairly geometric, lots of flat parts etc. imo 2000 is still pretty high for a gun ;)

why do people when making mods just make guns anyway?surely between u all u have made them all? :p

Back