Reflective Textures

G

Gsccc

Hello, I am trying to make the transition from GTKRadient to Hammer and I have been making some maps for my new mod. I was using some of the tile textures when I noticed that in game they don't reflect like the ones in the trainstation. Is there sometihng i have to do to get this effect?

I believe you have to put in an entity and make it a env_cubemap... I had the same thing and when I put the env_cubemap in everything looked good... you can put it anywhere in the map...

I would wait for another one's affirmation though cause I'm new to mapping too...

Dont' put cubemaps just anywhere. Put them in the correct places, center of rooms where its suitably different from surrounding area's. Otherwise you'll be reflecting things you can't even see from that area. Use more than one, but don't use too many.

so you dont have to tie the cubmaps to the objects you can just place it in the center of the room

You place them in the areas that use different textures. For example if you have a green hallway and a red room at the end, you'd put like 1 or 2 env_cubemap in the hallway and one in the red room. You don't have to set any properties for the cubemaps. Compile your map, run the map, go in the console, type in: buildcubemap and wait. You'll see the difference right away.

Ahh "buildcubemap".... is that why my glass goes purple when I put a cubemap in without running that command?

Ti133700N said:
You place them in the areas that use different textures. For example if you have a green hallway and a red room at the end, you'd put like 1 or 2 env_cubemap in the hallway and one in the red room. You don't have to set any properties for the cubemaps. Compile your map, run the map, go in the console, type in: buildcubemap and wait. You'll see the difference right away.

So wait....after i release my map, players have to type that into consol to see the goods?

DoctorGordon3 said:
So wait....after i release my map, players have to type that into consol to see the goods?

Thats what i need to know also, i assumed that only the server running the map had to do this?

Hi
When i type buildcubemap in, i see one texture and then i put back to desktop. Can anyone help!!!????

Luc

Yes you are supposed to wait, when you see the one texture that means that it is building the cubemap for that texture, if you wait a while it will go back and the map will be built.

I looked at the lockdown map and saw that there was a cubemap for every window , right by it. strange

a good thing about the cubemaps is that you (in it's properties) can set which brushes it should affect.

Triggerhappy41 said:
I looked at the lockdown map and saw that there was a cubemap for every window , right by it. strange
Thats to make sure each window gets the correct reflection, they'll likely be linked to the corresponding cubemaps as batchetska says.

Back