Relic Swamped With Angry Dawn Of War 2 Customers

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
So Dawn of War 2 is out on Steam and retail today in Europe...and Relic are getting an ear-bashing from all over the place with complaints; crashes and mainly installation+patch problems.

Quite simply, Steam and GWFL are retarded, but no surprise.

The issue is coming mainly from the DVD retail, where upon the software attempting to detect Steam on your hard-drive causing the installation process to fail, and seems to be currently unfixable. The only known solution around the installation is to register the game with Steam, then download it...which is always fun, waiting for a game to download when youve got the ***king box sitting next to you. Personally I am one of these people, and if it doesnt work after Steam has downloaded it, ill probably go out and...punch a dog or something.

Steam seems to be choosing who to infect..sorry, effect. A day 0 patch through Steam was compiled by Relic to be downloaded upon installation to fix some minor glitches, AI issues and the usual nerfs and OPing youd expect from every WoW update, and the installation of this patch is choosing to restart itself after around 5% for most people.

Steam is also failing to recognise already installed games (download it before release like HL2 did), failing to apply the patch correctly, failing to update, failing to start, the usual.

Oh and then GFWL is also being funny, outraging customers who dont have google mail or hotmail emails to signup with, and more importantly, not allowing the pre-ordered special edition gear/paint/scenarios content to be unlocked, which is a laugh seeing as its the only reason to get the special edition.

This begs the usual question; who do we have to kill to stop companies from forcing people to use third-party software to play their games?

Anyway, this is more of a heads up for those thinking of getting DoW 2; dont be surprised if it wont install properly.

I remember I had an issue with installing Unreal 3 back when it was released, I had to do some sort of special reboot to install it, then revert back to normal afterward.

Amazing how some games are released that simply dont comply the way theyre meant to.

So if GFWL and Steam activation aren't working properly you don't think that perhaps it's Relic who dropped the ball?

Well it seems to be a combination of Relic, Steam and GFWL.

Theres some issues now proping up about save game files getting bugged at a specific point in the game. The only solution at the moment is to lower two of the details down from high/ultra to medium or lower, which seems to bypass it.

However, looking at the official forums, Relic devs are posting all over the place with updates, questions etc. Theyre even asking for people to send them their save files through Rapidshare so they can look at them locally, and have apparently already identified a number of problems and are trying to get an update out by the end of the day.

I have to admit im a bit disgusted at the issues being raised, its like Stalker all over again, but I have alot of respect for how Relic are actually responding.

Other devs seem to have managed to work with Steam, GFWL. Sounds like Relic incompetence.

From playing the beta, I was a little dissapointed in how the scale of battles were a lot smaller than DoW and even Company of Heroes. I would have loved DoW + CoH combined, but the beta just seemed to be lackluster in scope.

Are they ever gonna release a demo? Oh and GFWL sucks the big one.

Anyway, the Pirates are gonna be busy. :rolleyes:

So Dawn of War 2 is out on Steam and retail today in Europe...and Relic are getting an ear-bashing from all over the place with complaints; crashes and mainly installation+patch problems.

Quite simply, Steam and GWFL are retarded, but no surprise.

The issue is coming mainly from the DVD retail, where upon the software attempting to detect Steam on your hard-drive causing the installation process to fail, and seems to be currently unfixable. The only known solution around the installation is to register the game with Steam, then download it...which is always fun, waiting for a game to download when youve got the ***king box sitting next to you. Personally I am one of these people, and if it doesnt work after Steam has downloaded it, ill probably go out and...punch a dog or something.

Steam seems to be choosing who to infect..sorry, effect. A day 0 patch through Steam was compiled by Relic to be downloaded upon installation to fix some minor glitches, AI issues and the usual nerfs and OPing youd expect from every WoW update, and the installation of this patch is choosing to restart itself after around 5% for most people.

Steam is also failing to recognise already installed games (download it before release like HL2 did), failing to apply the patch correctly, failing to update, failing to start, the usual.

Oh and then GFWL is also being funny, outraging customers who dont have google mail or hotmail emails to signup with, and more importantly, not allowing the pre-ordered special edition gear/paint/scenarios content to be unlocked, which is a laugh seeing as its the only reason to get the special edition.

This begs the usual question; who do we have to kill to stop companies from forcing people to use third-party software to play their games?

Anyway, this is more of a heads up for those thinking of getting DoW 2; dont be surprised if it wont install properly.

I remember I had an issue with installing Unreal 3 back when it was released, I had to do some sort of special reboot to install it, then revert back to normal afterward.

Amazing how some games are released that simply dont comply the way theyre meant to.

And that's all before you can even start to cry about the actual game itself being pap. :imu:

Edit: Now I want to load up some Dawn of Banter 1.

I bought the game on Steam last night and didn't have any of the mentioned issues... but I did have an issue! The default resolution the game starts at was something really strange (somethingx800?) and wasn't even supported by my monitor so all I'd get was an "out of range" message from my monitor. Fix was adding "-window" to launch options... easy, but it was still annoying.

The game itself, though, I am really enjoying, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. I usually don't go for RTS games (Starcraft and Age of Empires being the only ones I've actually liked before, and not for the singleplayer), but reviews and stuff made it sound like something I'd like.

Heh,
relicletters.jpg

Soon, doubt they'll have been delivered yet.

So the game requires Steam to be installed? That's idiotic in itself.

GTA IV was a mess too, so I doubt it's their incompetence. Windows Live needs to GTFO of gaming.

I really like to know Relics train of thought behind this.

as far as I know Steam is REQUIRED to play(even if you buy retail) so why they've also gone with windows live that basically does the same thing as steam(just worse) is beyond me... anyone know why?

same with GTA why both require social club and windows live?

Steam and GFWL come with the retail version, it installs both for you. And its THIS installing that is causing the issues.

I found my way around it by deleting the text in a setup file which basically bypassed that stage of the installation, and all was good, plays fine, I just manually installed the DX, GFWL and some MS file that I didnt recognise, but was listed in the setup file.

***k waiting 8+ hours to download it again off Steam.

GFWL should definitely not be manditory, I can see why they used Steam, it's pros far outweigh the cons, but GFWL needs to be destroyed for the PC.

I got it today and haven't installed it yet but thanks for mentioning it BUT there is one I would like to ***** about that I did notice in the game's manual.

I got the special edition version from game and so it comes with extra content (chapters, paint etc.) BUT in the manual it says I have to register with THQ. Fair enough BUT it says in small print at the bottom that the extra content is only available to the first 100000 registrants in the EU. I registered and I didn't ****ing get anything!!

WTF?! I seriously am feeling like somehow complaining to someone on grounds of misleading advertising! I'm not sure whether to blame THQ or game on this bull **** matter (to be fair I bet it was the same with exclusive content from other shops like HMV, amazon etc.)

EDIT:

Sorry ignore that guys I realsied I made a mistake the wargear for the first 100000 registrants thing is totally different sorry, that gear is just a bonus.

What I have now realised is that my copy of DOWII doesn't appear to have the wargear with it. NOw I am seriosuly ****ing pissed. Is it supposed to be on the disc or something or does the CD key automatically give me it or what? Just so I know before I strangle the people at game :flame:

Other devs seem to have managed to work with Steam, GFWL. Sounds like Relic incompetence.

To be fair, I have always had problems with GFWL, mainly that it cannot find the servers half the time

So the game requires Steam to be installed? That's idiotic in itself.

In an age where DRM and SecurRom is the norm, Its the lesser evil

So if GFWL and Steam activation aren't working properly you don't think that perhaps it's Relic who dropped the ball?

i think it's fairly safe to blame GFW because it does a pretty consistent job of sucking

What I have now realised is that my copy of DOWII doesn't appear to have the wargear with it. NOw I am seriosuly ****ing pissed. Is it supposed to be on the disc or something or does the CD key automatically give me it or what? Just so I know before I strangle the people at game :flame:

Ive just realised I didnt get anything from GAME either.

However I think its because the girl behind the counter didnt know about it, and I personally didnt realise the code came SEPERATE to the box so didnt say anything.
Gonna go in tomorrow with my pre-order slip (didnt have it on me when I bought it but she gave me it anyway after the manager recognised me and said he remembered me pre-ordering it...aha, come to think of it, thats so sad) and see what happens.

Not that bothered but would be kinda nice to get the stuff.

And yes, you have to be connected to Steam to play it, just like any other Steam game.

Its got a big sticker on the front saying that an internet connection is required to play.

[Edit] Regarding GFWL, today people are reporting general GFWL problems across a selection of games, not just for DoW 2. Fallout 3 has been hit pretty hard apparently, didnt even realise Fallout 3 had GFWL...I got the 360 version like an idiot.

I dont get why games on Steam also are using GFWL. Just use steam ffs. Its far superior.

I'm going to go back and see if I can get my code on Monday BUT I don't have my pre order slip anymore.

Don't think it matters though cos they never asked for it and this particular GAME has never asked me for a preorder slip before (okay I've only preordered two things from them before).

I'm going to have to keep this in mind when empire total war comes out cos game have another pre order bonus with that :|

Well even if you dont, just say 'call them up and confirm it', and they call their centre and give your GAME card number and they can confirm you preordered it on whenever day you did it.

Yeah, thanks I'm going to get that done on Monday then

(and keep it in mind for empire aswell)

I hope Relic is working on Homeworld 3. I dread Relic using GFLW for Homeworld 3. GFWL is horrible.

Yes.

Internet access is required for the retail versions. If you dont have Steam running in the background, a Relic Error box appears, and you need Steam running to just install the game as it uses Steam windows and theres also a 30-40mb patch to be downloaded via Steam after the install.

Haha! Complained to day and got my code for the destroyer wargear :)

Now I can actually be bothered to play the game now.

Bah I forgot to go into GAME, walked right past it earlier.

I hope Relic is working on Homeworld 3. I dread Relic using GFLW for Homeworld 3. GFWL is horrible.

I share this sentiment, except I don't want Relic touching the HW franchise until they stop sucking.

Otherwise we'll get a shoddy confused bit of software that cant decide what online client to use, and will mix and match all the bad features from its previous titles and then try and make it kinda sorta somewhat like an RPG instead of just making a dedicated RTS or RPG.

You can guess I aint getting this BTW. :cheers:

Edit: My guess?, they are wanting to emulate their past success by trying new things but it obviously shows that by this stage all the staff who did the good innovating have moved on or something so now were stuck with the glory-seeker staff who joined after Company of Heroes or something.

Or thats my guess anyway, just a guess, its also likely Relic's just taken a huge brainfart.

I bought the game through steam, and didn't have ANY of these problems; only problem I did have was in the beta, where I couldn't even log onto GFWL and had to jump through a billion hoops to get it to work. Piece of shit service to be honest. I think buying the game through Steam is your best bet if you want it.

The game itself is quite fun, especially the singleplayer. Balance is down the shitter and can be frustrating at times (especially when playing as Eldar, relic devs seem to be bitter from DoW 1 where they were massively overpowered), but it still turns out to be a fun game.

If you're not interested in the singleplayer, however, I'd recommend to either wait for a patch or a price drop (if you're thinking of buying it and are now skeptical due to this post). As of now, there are only 7ish maps (and only 1v1 and 3v3, no 2v2 or 4v4+) for multiplayer, as well as pretty poor balance, which doesn't make very good value for those buying it solely for multiplayer.

On the flip side to Kin's good post, if you've never played a DoW game pick up Dawn of War: Soulstorm, or even just the original first.

It should be dirt cheap by now, plenty of units, plenty of races, a good solid rounded RTS that got Relic its modern fan base.

I only had one crash late last night, but now I'm having a lot more fun; moreso than the previous DoW games

Back