Request for a spoilers forum?

Should there be a spoiler and non-spoiler forum?

• Yes

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

Mr-Fusion

Tank
Reaction score
It's becoming more apparent that some people want to avoid spoilers at all costs while some people like myself want to talk about them in much more detail.

Even when i used the spoiler tags the other day someone criticsized me for posting it.

Planetdoom.com has a General discussion (no spoilers) and a single player discussion (spoilers allowed) . Could we have something like that set up here because there's stuff i want to talk about but risk annoying too many people at the same time.

Well, at this time any spoilers you post are spoilers from the preloads or the leak. As far as I know the staff doesn't exactly encourage playing the leak or messing with the preloads. Therefore, there won't be a spoiler forum until after the game is released. Only logical.

By the way, there already is a spoiler forum I think, it's just not in the forum list. There was a link posted in this section a while ago. Not sure it's still around, I'll try finding the post.

edit: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

We had one, it was abused. We do plan on having something like that after/when HL2 is released though. Until then its simply abused by people, and there's the whole issue with thick people putting spoilers in titles that others end up seeing, then they start complaining and bleah.

I say yes. I like the fact the game gets ruin even though I MUST admit I do love spoilers.

I like spoilers too any spoiler tags i highlight you could say i dont like surprises like finding christmas/birthday presents we moved house so i dont know where their kept now.

If you can mask the topic titles in recent posts or on the main forum page, I'm all for it.

I don't see the point of having a spoiler forum, when you have spoiler tags.

The Dark Elf said:
We had one, it was abused. We do plan on having something like that after/when HL2 is released though. Until then its simply abused by people, and there's the whole issue with thick people putting spoilers in titles that others end up seeing, then they start complaining and bleah.

If you hide it from showing up in the 'latest posts' they have no right to complain for entering the forum to begin with.

The Dark Elf said:
Stick it in it's own sub-section that is minimised by default.

[[LuCkY]] said:
If you hide it from showing up in the 'latest posts' they have no right to complain for entering the forum to begin with.

That would work, actually. Go for it!

but do the all mighty and powerful mods?
oh im sorry masters for speaking of your name! please do not smite me without remorse! *worships*

Have a WARNING! message before you enter just so you know where you are going. And keep it out of recent posts etc.

westie said:
Have a WARNING! message before you enter just so you know where you are going. And keep it out of recent posts etc.
A warning page that appears with a choice accept/decline would be best. Since you'd have to consider that some people will take pleasure in pasting up links directly to some big spoiler in it. So a warning page that appears before entering that section, regardless of how you enter it would be a really good idea. If anyone complains about it then, well, they shouldn't be using a computer.

Course with something like that it would be good to make it optional in the user settings. Some don't mind spoilers so in those cases I doubt they'd want to be forever seeing this page popup when they check for new threads/posts in that section. So a way to turn it off (have it turned on by default) would be good.

I think that now we're coming up to the release of the game, we should definately include one.

Having a spoiler forum will not encourage playing of the beta at this point, since those who will play it already have and those who won't are not going to try and get it with the game so close.

Such a forum would allow the beta players somwhere to vent and discuss, while people who wanted spoilers could view a seperate area. Those who wanted no part in spoliers would, in return remain protected, especially from accidents.

The main point is that with the game so close, a spoilers forum is unlikely to do any harm.

Sure, we should have a spoilers section, at the very least so mods can dump threads in there which contain spoilers, and with the release of the game coming up, we'll need one soon anyway.

The Dark Elf said:
A warning page that appears with a choice accept/decline would be best. Since you'd have to consider that some people will take pleasure in pasting up links directly to some big spoiler in it. So a warning page that appears before entering that section, regardless of how you enter it would be a really good idea. If anyone complains about it then, well, they shouldn't be using a computer.

Course with something like that it would be good to make it optional in the user settings. Some don't mind spoilers so in those cases I doubt they'd want to be forever seeing this page popup when they check for new threads/posts in that section. So a way to turn it off (have it turned on by default) would be good.

That's a great idea. :cheers: Hope it get's done. I'm a very nosy person so I usually ruin games and movies from reading spoilers. A warning would be nice, so that I get the time to think twice.

Back