Requirements for the Half-Life® 2 Promotional Offer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jackofthetrade32

"Requirements for the Half-Life® 2 Promotional Offer:

Please mail in the following to ATI in order to receive Half-Life® 2 when available in retail (Mailing Address Below):

Photocopy of the Half-Life® 2 Coupon showing your activation key code - exposed
Original UPC (bar code) or the full product name cut from the ATI or Partner product package (Photocopies will not be accepted)
Photocopy of sales receipt with the qualifying ATI or ATI partner 3D graphics board purchase circled
Completed Fulfillment Order Form "

Why the hell are they changing this crap?
They never said anything about a photocopy of any sales receipt a year ago.
Also, I am not about to give those ass's my credit card number.
With there attitude, I'll just see about downloading the ISO.
I own a copy of HL2 and I have proof.
Try to take me to court guys and 1000 people will sue you in 24 hours!

Oh, I know why they changed it. So they won't have to send it to us. I wonder if their agreement states that they keep the money if any of those four items are missing.

http://www.ati.com/gitg/promotions/hl2offer/form_single_hl2.html

Edit...
"Offer only available while supplies last." WTF IS THAT!
Will they only have 100 copies.
Guys, you really need to read that stuff. They are playing games with us.

Edit again...
"Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable."
I guess they do keep the money. Looks like a law suit now.

Well, you're right. Those are new conditions. But only a dildo would send away for the game anyway. Who wants to wait a month after it's released to get the damn game? Not me. I'll be downloading from Steam, which better run like butter by the release date or everyone involved is screwed.

Gossoon said:
Well, you're right. Those are new conditions. But only a dildo would send away for the game anyway. Who wants to wait a month after it's released to get the damn game? Not me. I'll be downloading from Steam, which better run like butter by the release date or everyone involved is screwed.

I'm setting up a tent outside the local Gamestop a few days before it's out. Probably with some friends. Start a nice campfire, tell stories... I doubt mall security would like it, but screw them!

See, I don't get people who camp out for games. I'm assuming you're not serious, but some people really do. Why don't they just pre-order the stupid thing? Is it the experience? Most of these guys have never been out of doors, so maybe it would be good for them.

I'm going to download HL2 over Steam (hopefully Valve will allow it to be pre-cached a week before release). Failing that, I'll just get a pre-order delivered on the release date.

I pre-ordered my Collectors Edition already. I can go and pick it up the day it's released. They even call me!!!!! (like I wouldn't notice :p)

jackofthetrade32 said:
"

Why the hell are they changing this crap?

They're not.

They never said anything about a photocopy of any sales receipt a year ago.

They've required proof of purchase ever since the offer started.

Also, I am not about to give those ass's my credit card number.

So don't?

With there attitude, I'll just see about downloading the ISO.

Never heard of Steam?

I own a copy of HL2 and I have proof.

No you don't. You own a video card with a promotional coupon.

Try to take me to court guys and 1000 people will sue you in 24 hours!

Oh, the melodrama.

Oh, I know why they changed it. So they won't have to send it to us.

Yeah, because that's really sound business sense...

I wonder if their agreement states that they keep the money if any of those four items are missing.

What money? You've already bought the card.

http://www.ati.com/gitg/promotions/hl2offer/form_single_hl2.html

Edit...
"Offer only available while supplies last." WTF IS THAT!
Will they only have 100 copies.

Don't be silly. They obviously have a finite amount.

Guys, you really need to read that stuff. They are playing games with us.

Yeah, whatever you say, chief.

Edit again...
"Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable."
I guess they do keep the money. Looks like a law suit now.

What money? You already paid for the card.

It's not difficult. Cut the barcode off your box and send it in with the photocopy of your coupon.
Or send a photocopy of your receipt (blanking out the credit card number)

It's not rocket science.

The thing that mentions you needing to send them a receipt was indeed there from the start. I don't see what the big deal is... it was there before and it's still there now. I made sure to read absolutely everything about the offer as soon as I got my boucher just to make sure I didn't get gimped on the offer. Of course, I am getting the game from Steam rather than shipped in 6+ weeks from ATI.

The offer hasn't changed... I suggest you read more carefully in the future before making wild accussations that really make little sense. Did you expect them to ship you the game for free? No thanks, I'll stick with Steam.

The terms haven't changed. It's been the same since day one.

"Offer only available while supplies last."

That is saying they only have a limited supply of cards that have the coupon, not a limited supply of the HL 2 game, its plain common sense to have the same number of HL 2 game boxes as the number of coupons printed. Print a 100 and set aside finance to purchase a 100 copies (probably at a special bulk + agreement with Valve/VU price)

It's probably to cover them incase demand outweighs supply. I'm sure you'd eventually get a copy, but it might take longer than the specified amount of time.

A recent case of demand outweighing supply was in the UK. Avon were offering a free Orange mobile phone with any purchase over £15. Avon signed a deal with Orange for X amount of phones, but they completely underestimated the demand and 1/4 of people went without the phone. They were offered a discount on the goods they'd purchased instead.

Personally, I can't see a company the size of Ati making such a blatently bad PR / buying decision. There'll be plenty of stock available although I still think most coupon holders will take the Steam route to Half Life 2.

There is nothing new there. Get your head out of your ass. If this bothers you so much, just download off Steam. 100% free, infinite copies available. Quit your whining.

i wish i had a coupon, you people are so lucky, you get a great graphics card and Half-life 2 for free the very second it's released, the rest of us either have to pay extra via Steam or wait to head down the shops, quit complaining.

Oh, and the thing that pisses me off about this whole ordeal is that I purchased a video card (which now will barely play HL2) f*cking ages ago expecting to have had Half Life 2 in my hands. That was a major part of my decision to buy the card itself. I have since bought another video card (thats how God damn long it's taken) which actually came with (shock horror) actual game CDs. Which is how it should be.

Cheers Gabe! :thumbs:

Edit - Oh, and oldagerocker, I payed cash out of my own pocket for that damn video card, don't give me that "lucky" crap.

I think Pimurho delivered enough ownage.

My services are not required here.

/me walks away.

Ati will still have paid for the CD Keys the Steam downloaders must use, so the most likely scenerio is that Ati budgeted for X number of coupons = x number of CD Keys + a minor consideration for the few that actually order the boxed ver. with thier coupons.

Quite strange though, I thought Ati would make the sellers of the cards with coupons honour the coupons, after the special benefits the seller too. I thought if you had the coupon you merely had to visit the shop where you got the card and exchange the coupon for the game, much more efficient.

iamaelephant said:
Oh, and the thing that pisses me off about this whole ordeal is that I purchased a video card (which now will barely play HL2) f*cking ages ago expecting to have had Half Life 2 in my hands. That was a major part of my decision to buy the card itself. I have since bought another video card (thats how God damn long it's taken) which actually came with (shock horror) actual game CDs. Which is how it should be.

Edit - Oh, and oldagerocker, I payed cash out of my own pocket for that damn video card, don't give me that "lucky" crap.

It's generally a bad idea to purchase hardware in anticipation of future software that's not even out yet, as learned here.

I got a 9600Pro All-In-Wonder with a coupon, but I haven't the vaguest idea where my receipt is. I guess I'm using Steam and burning an .iso

[Dragoon] said:
I'm setting up a tent outside the local Gamestop a few days before it's out. Probably with some friends. Start a nice campfire, tell stories... I doubt mall security would like it, but screw them!
I'll bring the beer. :cheers:

Do you really have to wait a MONTH after the game is released to get it that way?

So you own't be able to use the voucher at a retail store that is selling the game?

BigNamek...

iamaelephant said:

so you're saying that your video card that you purchased won't be able to play HL2 well?? Was your ATi card replaced by a geforce 3 or something?? How can you even tell when the game isn't out yet??

vegeta897 said:
I'll bring the beer. :cheers:

Do you really have to wait a MONTH after the game is released to get it that way?

it says 4 to 6 weeks.

maybe sooner as 4 but not later as 6 weeks.

if it don't receive it after six weeks iam going to call ati and send some mails
and for those 6 to 4 weeks: maybe ill buy doom 3 so i can game those 4 to 6 weeks or iam just going to have a lot of cod wars

BigNamek said:
So you own't be able to use the voucher at a retail store that is selling the game?

BigNamek...

no.
gotta do what the Ati website says to do in order to get the game using the coupon

PowerLlama said:
so you're saying that your video card that you purchased won't be able to play HL2 well?? Was your ATi card replaced by a geforce 3 or something?? How can you even tell when the game isn't out yet??

No, what I'm saying is that I bought a 9600xt with a HL2 coupon. Now I'd be extremely lucky to get medium detail settings with that card. It has since been replaced with a 9800 pro (flashed to XT).

When did they pump up the graphical requirements elephant?? oh wait.... they didn't.. yeah...

PowerLlama said:
When did they pump up the graphical requirements elephant?? oh wait.... they didn't.. yeah...

Yes they did.

Originally the minimum was 700MHz, 128MB RAM and a DX6 level graphics card.

It's now 1.2GHz, 256MB RAM and a DX7 level graphics card

oldagerocker said:
i wish i had a coupon, you people are so lucky, you get a great graphics card and Half-life 2 for free the very second it's released, the rest of us either have to pay extra via Steam or wait to head down the shops, quit complaining.

I don't know what store you be goin' to, but I don't know of any store where you can trade in your coupon that came with a 9600XT for HL2. If I send it the coupon it will take forever for it to actually arrive at my house. This is assuming that the still have supplies and all. I don't see how I am lucky at all, I bought the card so I could play it (I thought only a few months later, since I bought it in NOVEMBER '03) and now my card gets owned. Am I lucky because I still have the coupon and can download it off steam like everyone else? Yes. Because HL2 is still free and I can play CS:S Beta. But don't think that I am going to get it the very second it's released... It's all going to depend how many people buy it off Steam. I'll get it the same time as everyone else does. Hell, I don't even get it for free, I paid for it when I bought the card!

PowerLlama said:

Are you trying to argue with iamelephant & Shuzer? They are going to disown you...

Shuzer said:
Yes they did.

Originally the minimum was 700MHz, 128MB RAM and a DX6 level graphics card.

It's now 1.2GHz, 256MB RAM and a DX7 level graphics card
that doesn't justify the statement of "I won't be able to even play the game in medium settings" especially considering the fact that there is no benchmark, nor is the actual game out.

Azrael said:
Are you trying to argue with iamelephant & Shuzer? They are going to disown you...
Yes I am.. and I never realized they owned me in the first place

PowerLlama said:
that doesn't justify the statement of "I won't be able to even play the game in medium settings" especially considering the fact that there is no benchmark, nor is the actual game out.

If the minimum requirements go up, it's natural the recommended would go up too. Though, I agree, the 9600XT will be able to pull higher than medium. Probably even full detail, without AA/AF.

PowerLlama said:

I strongly doubt you will pull better than medium at 1024 * 768 on a 9600 XT. Obviously I don't know this for a fact, but I suppose we will soon see, come November when they finally release the game.

iamaelephant said:
I strongly doubt you will pull better than medium at 1024 * 768 on a 9600 XT. Obviously I don't know this for a fact, but I suppose we will soon see, come November when they finally release the game.

You strongly doubt everything. What is it with you? :p

You could always ask Valve to see how well your PC can run HL2.. :) No need to wait until "november". :x

This has gone rather off-topic, so I'm going to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back