Resistance and Liberation News

A

Azlan

Resistance and Liberation is a realistic WWII modification that tells the story of the 82nd Airborne Division. Their website states that the goal of Resistance and Liberation is to realistically portray the events and actions taken by the 82nd Airborne during their stay in Normandy. [br]</br>
  • They have many ways in which to add realism, with a few being:
  • No crosshair
  • Weight and intertia added to weaponry
  • Full balistics added to weaponry
  • No HUD
  • No death messages
  • Revised score display
  • An advanced damage system

Today, they have released several new screenshots of St. Come Dumont, one of the maps being made for initial release. Check it out![br]

[br]To learn more about the Resistance, simply click here.

why in the world would anyone post jpg's for screenshots of anything, let alone ones with that much compression. PNG's people.... PNG.

Besides that, its an interesting aproach to FPS, but it would surprise me if the lack of HUD makes sense in the long run.

dam

fifty7var said:
why in the world would anyone post jpg's for screenshots of anything, let alone ones with that much compression. PNG's people.... PNG.

Besides that, its an interesting aproach to FPS, but it would surprise me if the lack of HUD makes sense in the long run.

dam

What do you mean? It makes perfect sense, IRL, you don't have a HUD. It's a realism MOD

Counter-Strike has a HUD... :p

Looking great guys! It has a real Call of Duty feel in those buildings.

Dsty2001 said:
What do you mean? It makes perfect sense, IRL, you don't have a HUD. It's a realism MOD

Its realistic, but not practical.

In Real life, you have pain which tells you how close you are to dying, when you've been shot, etc. You can look down and see your spleen oozing out, and say to yourself, wow, that sucks, won't be walking much longer. There needs to be a feedback mechanism to let the player know he's hurting, and how much.

Then again i'm not real big on realism mods... if i wanted to play with guns in as realistic a way as possible, i'd pick up a gun and do it in the real world :naughty: jk

fifty7var said:

In Real life, you have pain which tells you how close you are to dying, when you've been shot, etc. You can look down and see your spleen oozing out, and say to yourself, wow, that sucks, won't be walking much longer. There needs to be a feedback mechanism to let the player know he's hurting, and how much.

Then again i'm not real big on realism mods... if i wanted to play with guns in as realistic a way as possible, i'd pick up a gun and do it in the real world :naughty: jk

Not having a HUD adds to the effect of being a real soldier.

right but once again, as a real soldier, you have knowledge about your current state of health, and how much ammo you have left clipped to your belt, unless you can look down and count your ammo, or feel your characters pain, then i fail to see how losing a hud would benifit gameplay at all. Its taking the form over function approach.

Pesmerga said:
Counter-Strike has a HUD... :p

Looking great guys! It has a real Call of Duty feel in those buildings.

haha counter-strike and realism.......your funny. Nice job to the rnl guys, i love the bottom right screen

fifty7var said:
right but once again, as a real soldier, you have knowledge about your current state of health, and how much ammo you have left clipped to your belt, unless you can look down and count your ammo, or feel your characters pain, then i fail to see how losing a hud would benifit gameplay at all. Its taking the form over function approach.

Realism. Realism. Realism.

They don't want you to be able to know the exact amount of health or ammo you have, just as in real life. I'm sure it will be easy to tell whether or not you've been shot, and to some degree, how serious the wound is.

And if you've ever played a little mod called Red Orchestra for UT2K4, having no ammo counter means jack squat.

Great, another 12 year old's idea of a mod. Realism over gameplay, it'll probably just get lost in the sea of all the other same mods for HL2.

]-UnderTOW-[ said:
Great, another 12 year old's idea of a mod.

you should enjoy it then.:upstare:

the mod looks awesome. the game should do well with no hud considering in real life if you get shot anywhere critical you're most likely not going to be around much longer much like rainbow 6!

looks nice but in all honestyI just hope the whole realism thing doesn't get overdone.

Malfunction said:
They don't want you to be able to know the exact amount of health or ammo you have, just as in real life.
That just sounds ridiculous to me. You DO know how much ammo you have in your weapons and you DO know how healthy you are (bleeding stumpy legs are assumed to be in the 10-20% range). The whole reason for the HUD is that it provides a substitute for the real-world ways of counting ammo / health (i.e. being able to look inside your backpack and and your bleeding stumpy legs) which are hard, if not impossible to implement, even as far as Game graphics / customisation have progressed.

Not that the idea of realism mods excites me one bit. I dislike CS and that's about as realistic as Tuvalu's chances of topping the medal table at the next olympics.

]-UnderTOW-[ said:
Great, another 12 year old's idea of a mod. Realism over gameplay, it'll probably just get lost in the sea of all the other same mods for HL2.
RedOrchestraGame.com
This mod won the Make Something Unreal Contest and a full Unreal Engine license. Realism isn't bad.

fifty7var said:

Hmm, a neat feature would be limping if you were shot in the legs a few times. :farmer:

This is in my top 5 most looking forward to mods now.

The only thing that will annoy me is not knowing who shot you... It was the single most annoying thing on some Red Orchestra servers. I hope there's no scoreboard either.

I don't think it'd be hard to show the player how hurt they are. The slower you move the more critically injured you are.

"You DO know how much ammo you have in your weapons"

The only way to know how much ammunition you currently have in your weapon is to know how many you had in a full clip, and how many you have fired. I believe the same thing can be done with a computer game, unless you can't count backwards. Last time I checked most rifles, especially those from WWII don't have a nice LCD display to say: 5 shots remaining, 4 magazines left. In real life you have to either count it down or, in a firefight, forget it and keep moving. If soldiers in real battlefields can do it, so can you, but on a computer. Every time you click, its -1. Submachine gunners will have to guess, or listen very closely, unless their weapon has a fire setting (single shot, three shot burst) just like in real life.

"DO know how healthy you are (bleeding stumpy legs are assumed to be in the 10-20% range)."

If you have bleeding stumpy legs your last thought is on continuing the fight. I think that a wound like that would be considered critical enough to remove a player from the gaming arena, at least on an online game. Depends if they want to have you yell and scream, then crawl around, maybe pass out or fall into shock, then die from blood loss. I don't think it's really a big deal...most places you get shot will more or less take you out of combat...you won't be a frontline fighter with a bullet through either arm, in your leg or foot, nor your hand. Getting shot in the abdomen may leave you able to fight, but guess what? You are still a casualty and still going back to the med station. I'm not suggesting a critical wound lead to instant death, but it could be accompanied by reduced accuracy (if hit in the arms), a more slunched forward position for the camera if hit in the abdomen, heavy choked breathing if hit in the chest, and slowed walking speed or inability to walk (autmatically forced to prone position) if hit in the legs depending on severity of the wound. I think those would be pretty good reminders that you have been shot.

I hope this mod creates the same feeling as in Red Orchestra when you have a sniper rifle in your hand.

In Red Orchestra, it feels like you are Pvt. Jackson in Saving Private Ryan when playing as a sniper.

The only way to know how much ammunition you currently have in your weapon is to know how many you had in a full clip, and how many you have fired. I believe the same thing can be done with a computer game, unless you can't count backwards. Last time I checked most rifles, especially those from WWII don't have a nice LCD display to say: 5 shots remaining, 4 magazines left. In real life you have to either count it down or, in a firefight, forget it and keep moving. If soldiers in real battlefields can do it, so can you, but on a computer. Every time you click, its -1. Submachine gunners will have to guess, or listen very closely, unless their weapon has a fire setting (single shot, three shot burst) just like in real life.
In RO, I just forget about counting unless it's a bolt rifle (which, unless you're sniper, can't be reloaded mid-clip), and just reload after I've been in a firefight.

As I lead INS, I am obviously a fan of 'realistic' games. However, I do agree with the fact that not including some things for the sake of 'realism' is quite unpractical.

When all of these 'realistic' elements stack up, they end up making things more complicated than they should be and usually the gameplay ends up suffering. Not only will the gameplay become slow and boring, but it starts to even overall play 'unrealistically.' I have 3 years experience in the Canadian Army with an Infantry unit, so I've been in many scenarios during training to know how things usually work out.

There are certain things that might have to be conveyed in order for the sake of gameplay, although it wouldn't be 'realistic.' For example with the HUD, I think it might be a weak approach to have no HUD at all. How will the players know where to go and what to do? Sure, you could rebuttle with having a map they can look at, but in the heat of battle, you can't always be bringing up a map to look around. Things will suffer as a result, and players will likely tend to be more disorganized and random.

In the case of RO, I don't really like it. But I'm supposed to be a fan of realism! For one, the engine just plain sucks. Not even that though, the level design is fairly weak for smaller numbers (which most of the time is all you will encounter). The pace of World War II and realism also slows it down so much that you are wandering around for minutes on end seeking for some enemy to shoot, when out of the blue, you get picked off by a bolt-action rifle. In close quarters, the latter weapon sucks huge amounts of ass. Anyways, enough of my rant.

I hope the RnL team can pull things off properly. I think making a WWII 'realism' mod is a big challenge to pull off in order to make it fun and enjoyable to not just those who want a 'realistic' experience... who are a vast minority in gaming.

I don't know guys, if you enjoy RO, which a lot of people do, I expect you'll like RnL.

I play both highly unrealistic and realistic games, I like both. In RO, one of the coolest things, I think, is how if you're running out in the open across a street, there's a good chance of getting picked off. You really have to stop at buildings' corners and take a glance at who's where and such. That's realistic, and it works great.

If I remember correctly, to figure out where you're heading in the game in RnL, you have to go to an NCO or somebody and like hit your use key to open up a map, which makes complete sense. Sure, that's a lot different than what we're used to, but I think that sounds pretty damn cool. Now you can no longer immediately know where you're heading just by glancing at your HUD, because there isn't any.

Argyll while I respect your opinion I cannot agree with it. After reading your post it makes me think of “everything must be unoriginal and inside the box.” Now in no way is that a flame but, more of an observation by me.

It seems in the last couple of years about 95% of retail FPS games follow one simple design. This design works with any setting from World War II up to Modern Combat. A few examples include:

Some kind of weapon that completely matches the opposing team’s weapon for the sake of balance.

All sorts of HUD items that will even remind the player to breathe in real life and order them a large thin crust from Domino’s.

A map that pinpoints every location, player, flea, and hiding spot on the map.

Sure the three above are very basic but I could fill three pages with such information. Why you ask? Simple because I play the same game over and over and over each time. Very seldom does a game release with something fresh and exciting enough to make me say wow. However most companies will plaster words like “authentic,” “original and exciting,” and “never done before” all over a shiny box to suck the player in. Realistically speaking though it usually ends up being just better graphics with the same game play as title X.

Do I blame the companies for doing this? Not for an instance. Unfortunately big companies need big money and the only way to do it is share the market. If company X releases a World War II title that sells so will company Z. It is really comparable to movies and how trends hit and fade and everyone cashes in along the way. Working on a modification though is a totally different and beautiful story.

Modifications have the luxury of taking any idea inside engine limits and making it happen. There are no bigwigs, distributors, or investors telling them what to do. They have free reign to make anything and everything their heart’s desire and gamble with it. Cause in the long run any true game creator will do nothing but a gamble. Just think of the gaming industry if names like Al Lowe, John Carmack, or Gabe Newell would not have stepped forward and mixed it up a little. There would be no Sierra Classics, Doom, or Half-Life games that jumped up and grabbed you.

Resistance and Liberation is planning on doing a little gambling also. We are not in it to be plastered all over every forum, magazine, and fan site. Instead we want to take WWII a very popular trend and put our on spin on it. Sure not all players will like no hud, iron sights, slow game play, and the use of actual tactics but, you cannot please all. 638 fans on our forums though like what we are doing and we hope to give them what they signed up for. If we do deliver and it becomes a sudden hit Yay for us. We release and 638 people play it we will be happy. If it does fail and nobody plays well, we got two good things out of it: experience and proving the ability to follow through. End Rant.

In closing I would like to say that I welcome all mod ideas and refuse to argue if their ideas are unpractical or boring. Instead I would much rather congratulate them on their victory of making it another day in the beast that is modding. Thanks for reading.

JoshS
Resistance and Liberation
Boring WWII shooter for HL2

The idea of No HUD pertains to what you would typically consider to see on a "hud", that being, health, ammo, equipment, a rader, your stamina and all the other stuff. There will still be some visual elements to improve gameplay, we are not stupid enough to completely remove them. The player would be totally lost without some information.

I wish people would stop making online games with no crosshair. Not because its not cool, its just to easy for someone to put a dry erase dot on their screen and gain an advantage. BLEH!

[RnL]JohnyM said:
The idea of No HUD pertains to what you would typically consider to see on a "hud", that being, health, ammo, equipment, a rader, your stamina and all the other stuff. There will still be some visual elements to improve gameplay, we are not stupid enough to completely remove them. The player would be totally lost without some information.
That's good to know, but I'm kind of sick of WWII mods, and realism isn't my thing. I'll check it out one day, maybe try it at a friend's LAN or something.
JoshSH said:
It seems in the last couple of years about 95% of retail FPS games follow one simple design. This design works with any setting from World War II up to Modern Combat.
Of course A realistic WWII mod is highly original.

WritingARequiem said:
Of course A realistic WWII mod is highly original.

Well I don't know of many World War II simulations besides Hidden and Dangerous. So I would think that we are doing something pretty fresh.

Unless you want us to do:

Aliens Vs Marines
Terrorists Vs Counter-Terrorists
Gangs Vs Cops
Spy Vs Rogue Government
Man Vs Beast
Etc Vs Etc

None of those have been done before.

Well sounds like you know what you are doing, and i wish the best of luck to you.

However you may wish to consider different gameplay "modes" of realism. Make it a server setting, so you hardcore fans could have full on realism (no HUD/Crosshair etc) and then have a relaxed realism mode where you have a hud and a map or something. I personally would like to play your mod to see how the gameplay turns out, but as a vetran player of many games, i think i can see how this is going to turn out.

You also said something about balancing weapons out, but now i cant find it, ahh well, anyway... So are the geramans always going to lose becuase they had insufficient weapons and supply routes? I for one a a true fan of realistic weapons, so i hope you can do it without screwing over gameplay. Most weapons were one shot kills in R/L, so how are you going to do it in RnL?

When you are shot, will there be a medic to stop the bleeding and carry you to the nearest rear aid station.

Back