Rockstar Attacked for GTA, Manhunt Again.

thenerdguy

Reaction score
Link

Following Rockstar's problems in the U.S. with its GTA games a new front has been opened with their latest offering, Manhunt, which now has the dubious honor of being the first game to ever be banned in New Zealand.
The Office of Film and Literature Classification of New Zealand has banned Manhunt from distribution in the country. In its 12-page decision, the classification office ruled that Manhunt depicted and dealt with matters of horror, cruelty, crime and violence in such a manner that its availability was likely to be injurious to the public good.
Chief censor Bill Hastings claims that Manhunt goes further than any game previously referred to his office.
It's a game where the only thing you do is kill everybody you see, he said.
It gets worse. Not only do you have to kill everybody you see, you can choose to kill 'mild,' 'medium' or 'hot'.
According to Mr Hastings hot kills are particularly disturbing. Weapons used range from shards of glass to garroting wire, plastic bags and machetes.
Manhunt is set in a weird city inhabited by criminals and psychotics. Through an earpiece, players are given instructions by a person making snuff films to kill everyone they see.
When you go for the `hot' kill you actually see the snuff film. . . you see the person being killed in close-up. With the plastic bag, for example, you see the victim's mouth gasping for air inside the bag.
Rockstar is already under criticism for previous games and GTA 3 is currently the subject of a USD 246 million lawsuit in the U.S. by the families of two people shot by teenagers allegedly inspired by the game.
But Rockstar's troubles do not stop there, in the past few weeks, in the U.S., a variety of protests have taken place against GTA:VC, the company's multi-million selling title, most of which have criticized the game for inciting racist attacks by including the command Kill the Haitians. Earlier this week Rockstar decided to censor all new copies of the game and remove the controversial dialogue but activists in the U.S. are not impressed. According to local media the Florida Attorney General's Office and the Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office have been asked to investigate whether the GTA:VC line violates state law.
Although a variety of media have reported the story it seems that the no one mentions that the setting of the game is in itself violent. Kill the Haitians is a line which refers to a gang rather than a people and although most war games will allow you to wage war against and bomb entire countries into oblivion, VC is the game that is criticized. It is possible that there is now an officially accepted, politically correct, mainstream type of warfare.
Oddly enough the New Zealand Chief Censor makes more sense when considering GTA:VC since he concedes that there is an element of humor there, although he does goes on to point out that Manhunt has none of that whatsoever. In fact, you're rewarded for making the kills as gruesome as possible because that's the only way you can unlock the (game's) four bonus levels.

thenerdguy said:
Link

Following Rockstar's problems in the U.S. with its GTA games a new front has been opened with their latest offering, Manhunt, which now has the dubious honor of being the first game to ever be banned in New Zealand.
The Office of Film and Literature Classification of New Zealand has banned Manhunt from distribution in the country. In its 12-page decision, the classification office ruled that Manhunt depicted and dealt with matters of horror, cruelty, crime and violence in such a manner that its availability was likely to be injurious to the public good.
Chief censor Bill Hastings claims that Manhunt goes further than any game previously referred to his office.
It gets worse. Not only do you have to kill everybody you see, you can choose to kill 'mild,' 'medium' or 'hot'.
According to Mr Hastings hot kills are particularly disturbing. Weapons used range from shards of glass to garroting wire, plastic bags and machetes.
Manhunt is set in a weird city inhabited by criminals and psychotics. Through an earpiece, players are given instructions by a person making snuff films to kill everyone they see.
When you go for the `hot' kill you actually see the snuff film. . . you see the person being killed in close-up. With the plastic bag, for example, you see the victim's mouth gasping for air inside the bag.
Rockstar is already under criticism for previous games and GTA 3 is currently the subject of a USD 246 million lawsuit in the U.S. by the families of two people shot by teenagers allegedly inspired by the game.
But Rockstar's troubles do not stop there, in the past few weeks, in the U.S., a variety of protests have taken place against GTA:VC, the company's multi-million selling title, most of which have criticized the game for inciting racist attacks by including the command Kill the Haitians. Earlier this week Rockstar decided to censor all new copies of the game and remove the controversial dialogue but activists in the U.S. are not impressed. According to local media the Florida Attorney General's Office and the Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office have been asked to investigate whether the GTA:VC line violates state law.
Although a variety of media have reported the story it seems that the no one mentions that the setting of the game is in itself violent. Kill the Haitians is a line which refers to a gang rather than a people and although most war games will allow you to wage war against and bomb entire countries into oblivion, VC is the game that is criticized. It is possible that there is now an officially accepted, politically correct, mainstream type of warfare.
Oddly enough the New Zealand Chief Censor makes more sense when considering GTA:VC since he concedes that there is an element of humor there, although he does goes on to point out that Manhunt has none of that whatsoever. In fact, you're rewarded for making the kills as gruesome as possible because that's the only way you can unlock the (game's) four bonus levels.

ahaha, blokes goin after game companies is always pretty funny

manhunt sounds sweet il have to pickup a copy... but in real life snuff films are repulsive fyi

Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians

I'm glad its not coming to New Zealand - the "plastic bag" is just too much.

Besides that, the natives are violent enough without this game encouraging them...

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians Kill the Haitians

When are authorities going to learn that even if a video game does have what's written above pasted all over it - It's not going to make people want to do it.

Ok, so in that respect Haitian's are bound to feel a bit badly about it, but in cases where there's violence, guns and crime - a video game is just not going to make people repeat it in real life.

oD1Nz said:
Besides that, the natives are violent enough without this game encouraging them...

Racism is dumb.

Anyway,

Sounds like a fun game to "kill" time.

That's just going too far. I can handle things like GTA3 and Doom 3 and personally I think they shouldn't be banned in any country. But a game where your only job/goal/inspiration to complete it is to go around recording yourself murdering people with plastic bags and machetes so you can get a closer view of the person dying is just going too far. What's next? A game that let's you brutally beat up six year olds with bats and fircrackers? With the realism in today's (tomorrow's) games people should use them responsibly, which Rockstar isn't going to do if it gets in the way of money.

Edit: I agree with NW909, as long as it's on the Playstation 2 those graphics can only go so far. But in the future Rockstar shouldn't make games to simply sell through violence, gore, and just plain sickening inhuman violence. They need to get back to good fun like in Midnight Club II, and good storytelling like those in GTA3 and other games (Half-Life 2). I hope this game (Manhunt) doesn't mark the new direction Rockstar's going in.

You know, I really hope they don't make manhunt 2 in the future when we have realistic limb detachments and stuff, that would just be sick. But as long as it's on the PS2 it can only be taken so far.

Chris_D said:
When are authorities going to learn that even if a video game does have what's written above pasted all over it - It's not going to make people want to do it.

Ok, so in that respect Haitian's are bound to feel a bit badly about it, but in cases where there's violence, guns and crime - a video game is just not going to make people repeat it in real life.

true that!

nw909 said:
You know, I really hope they don't make manhunt 2 in the future when we have realistic limb detachments and stuff, that would just be sick. But as long as it's on the PS2 it can only be taken so far.

my mom was really funny in the EB today... she was shooping for me 13 year old cousin so we were looking at the PS2 games... and if u sleep around in these threads... you know i want one :p... but, my mom is very strict on what i do w/ my money... even though it's mine... but anyway we were talking about the large selection of games.... that range from violent :: points at manhunt :: to fun! :: points at Barbie's Horse Adventure ::... she says manhunt sound violent... but doesn't look to violent... and she's always a pioneer so she starts playing w/ the PS2 console and starts watching the trailer for manhunt and nearly faints! she said i wasn't allowed to have a PS2 cause of that game and the EB guy (me and him are tight) stands infront of the manhunt display and you can't see it behind him... so he goes, "uhh.... they don't make manhunt for PS2... uhh.... it's an x-box exclusive :: tosses a copy to his buddy who puts it on the x-box shelf ::" So she goes "well.... no x-box... never liked that damn gates anyway"

it was fvcking HILARIOS!!! :LOL:

Manhunt is a blast! The game is quite intense at parts, and the kills are quite...rewarding :devil: . I for one could care less if a sequel to Manhunt came out in the future with photorealistic killings and all of that. Hell, this may sound sick, but I can't wait for that day! Not so that I can revel in all the gory details of brutal murder, I just want games that can affect me like movies can.

Even when Manhunt 2 is released on the PS3 or 4 in all it's disturbing, photo-realistic glory, it's still just polygons and textures, only more polygons and higher res textures.

Damn, manhunt sounds pretty fun. Funny how they ban it, only for it to become more popular :D

Manhunt was defenitly a good game. I liked it alot and not for the gore factor. It actually isnt all that bad if you've watched a couple of Quintin Terentino films(Kill Bill) before hand. I just wish they'd done more with the awsome story they had going. There were only bits of story at the begening and the end of the game.

But I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10.

thenerdguy said:
Link

Yes, because Doom, Quake and Duke3D were all intellectual digital board games. If these violent games are going to have such an effect on society then why didn't the aforementioned three?

I'd have to check out manhunt personally. I didn't think the GTA series was bad at all...but I've got to wonder about the descriptions for Manhunt.

Manhunt is awesome, if you like stealth-like games.
Lots of atmosphere, creeping in the shadows for your target to walk by.
Then sneak up on them and hack their ****ing head off with a machete.

Hunt or be hunted... how is that not a great game?

I admit it is quite violent, but it all fits in the storyline.
The people you have to kill aren't exactly nice.
They're hired to kill you on sight.

The game shouldn't be played by kids, but that's why its rated M.
It's a game for adults imo. A good one too, with decent graphics and an awesome soundproduction.

Banning it is just ridiculous, but it's not like Rockstar is going to lose a lot of money with their game not coming out in New Zealand.

Big deal, their ****ing loss.

Hmm...not certain on this one.

Psycho2 sounded bad enough, and just plain stupid besides

but this? To far. In GTA you COULD kill civilians, but that was NOT the main objective. Nor was it this brutal. Excess brutality = just plain stupid IMO.

I'll pass.

Same, ill pass too... doesn't sound like a game for me... pretty sick devs imho if they come up with games like this.

I think that regardless of whether you like a game or not, I don't think that's a reason to ban it. As little as the game interests me, I think freedom of speech is far more important than being politically correct.

What about Half-Life, where you can brutally murder scientists and security guards with a crowbar while they scream for their lives?

EDIT: Damn you mods! The change of color scheme ruined my avatar.

Well, i don't mind as long as it's a good game . See, like many people I was simulteaniously shocked, disgusted and reduced to tears of laughter (especially the cats. Ewww). However, behind all the violence you had what is basically a very rubbish first-person shooter.

Manhunt is Boring.

So let me get this straight,

Its alright to shoot someone in the face and make their head blow off, but if you are up close and personal using a plastic bag, its worse?

I don't understand the logic.

It's called being a hypocrit, AudioRage.
A lot of people here are very good at it.

You didn't like the game because you thought it was boring?
Oh well, atleast thats a better reason than "I don't like it because it sounds stupid" ;)

Anyways, i thought it was pretty good.
And in my opinion it's a better stealthgame than the Metal Gears, or Tenchu or whatever.

bastard_loud said:
It's called being a hypocrit, AudioRage.
A lot of people here are very good at it.

You didn't like the game because you thought it was boring?
Oh well, atleast thats a better reason than "I don't like it because it sounds stupid".
Its not that I didn't like it persay, Its that after the 300th or so stealth kill, I got bored.

I guess it can get a bit repetitive at times, but my schedule only lets me play games in short bursts, so I don't get bored too quickly with my games.

bastard_loud said:
I guess it can get a bit repetitive at times, but my schedule only lets me play games in short bursts, so I don't get bored too quickly with my games.
I don't know how far you've gotten in the game, but not too far into it there's a part with a crane with a magnet, a fridge, and a horde of bad guys. Hilarity ensues, My favoraite part of the game.

I'm close to operating the crane i think.
Last time i played i was carrying around a jerrycan of fuel to get it working.

*edit* it didn't disappear - it showed up under your last post.
it seems the bugs in this forum aren't completely gone yet :p

Reminds me of the Wages of Sin expansion pack.
No? Oh well.

Back