RTS Project?

oldfaq

Reaction score
hello all,
I was wondering if anybody would be interested in such a project, it would involve a lot of work and I really haven't planned anything, I just want thoughts about an idea of starting one? I think it would be interesting and I'd enjoy doing some 3D artwork it :) so if you would like to help out, add me on msn [email protected] or email me at [email protected] I think it'd be cool since we'd be turning HL2 around and making a RTS mod, so just let me know yuor thoughts. Thanks :)
Oldfaq

They're almost as common as WW2 mods..

SixThree hit the spot, however there hasn't been one that has been executed very well...

on the HL2 engine? I don't mean for RTS games...
oldfaq

Well, I'm in the middle of making an RTS based upon the actual HL universe - but rather than doing the currently fashionable 'commander mode' with lots of players acting as troops, it uses a more traditional playmode. If I could compare it to anything, it would be to the Quake 2 mod, QWAR2. And just to please everyone, there will be a 'possess' mode, dungeon-keeper-esque.

However, being the self-sufficient person I am, I don't actually need any team members apart from myself, until, at least, I have the basis for coding and actually have something playable. I place gameplay above graphics.

No, I don't have a site for it (I don't want to pump the mod until I actually have some in-game shots to show; which will probably look quite good even though I'm not the most skilled modeller, as the theme is the Half-Life storyline and I'll be using the models included in the game) but eventually, I'll probably hunt for a competent modeler, and then you could probably join. Or (as I have with mapping, coding, texturing, and everything else) I'll teach myself.

Ahh crap, I just realised I contradicted myself - I just pumped my mod.

-Angry Lawyer

Dante,
thats a FPS, not a RTS game.. I mean making a strategy game using the HL2 Engine, like Starcraft, or Warcraft... that style... where you build buildings, tanks and stuff like that...

oldfaq said:
Dante,
thats a FPS, not a RTS game.. I mean making a strategy game using the HL2 Engine, like Starcraft, or Warcraft... that style... where you build buildings, tanks and stuff like that...
It will have both.
You get one commander on both sides. They build and research and the rest off the players can buy the stuff that you have researched for them. the commander can give easy orders etc.

If you want only rts then they only need to support bots ;)

yeah, what that guy said, RTSS game mode we announced a couple days back on our site, its RTS + FPS (build stuff and kill stuff)

Plus there's also a Source-engined game in production that's doing the whole RTS thing.

Back