Say Cheese!

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
Since we have such a wonderful variety of people from all across the world, I am wondering how you all feel about cheese.

What kinds of cheese do you guys like? Being an American I have sampled woeful few varieties of cheese, some of the more exotic ones being things like smoked gouda and brie... which aren't all that exotic.

Do you like stinky cheeses? Strong flavored cheeses or mild? Do you like hard cheeses or those sickeningly soft cheeses.

Maybe you're downright boring like me when it comes to cheeses and only get to sample boring and bland cheddars, jacks or processed cheese, or maybe you've sampled many exotic varieties and are very much a cheese connoisseur.

I dunno why I'm making a cheese thread right now, though I don't remember one being made in the past, and I'm currently enjoying a very aromatic and tasty smoked gouda.

Cheddar (sharp, smoked) pepper jack, provolone.

Cheddar (sharp, smoked) pepper jack, provolone.

I've never had any smoked cheddar. All the cheddar I've had was either mild or sharp and very plain tasting. Just those unnaturally orange giant blocks you get from the store.

Pepper Jack is a fantastic cheese, though admittedly quite boring in the grand scheme of things. It has quite a rich flavor(due to the peppers), which is something I like. I don't particularly like cheddar because it's so bland, but it seems to be what is always on hand in American households.

My favorites are Emmentaler, extra sharp cheddar, Pecorino Romano, and a kind of sharp American cheese we have where I'm from in Pennsylvania called Cooper, which makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches.

Awh. I thought based on the title that this would be a thread about the origins of saying 'cheese' before a photo. I've always wondered where this started and why. Is it because of the way your mouth looks when pronouncing the E? But, anyway...

I like Munster, Cheddar, any spicy cheeses. Haven't really tried any "exotic" cheeses, but the worst of all has to be that disgusting ass American cheese. It's so nasty. I heard from someone that it isn't even cheese. Even when I make myself grilled cheeses, I use ANYTHING but that excuse for a cheese. I'm not really a cheese guy though, unless I'm eating something with it.

Awh. I thought based on the title that this would be a thread about the origins of saying 'cheese' before a photo. I've always wondered where this started and why. Is it because of the way your mouth looks when pronouncing the E? But, anyway...

I like Munster, Cheddar, any spicy cheeses. Haven't really tried any "exotic" cheeses, but the worst of all has to be that disgusting ass American cheese. It's so nasty. I heard from someone that it isn't even cheese. Even when I make myself grilled cheeses, I use ANYTHING but that excuse for a cheese. I'm not really a cheese guy though, unless I'm eating something with it.

Yeah, American processed cheese is really gross, except in occasional circumstances like on a hamburger or something, where it merely provides that cheese hint, without giving you a mouthful of that nastiness.

Sharp cheddar, without a doubt! But I wouldn't want a pizza without mozzarella. I guess I'd go with Swiss for 3rd place.

I've rarely tried anything new. I tried pepper jack and muenster anther one and didn't really care for them.

Feta as an ingredient in salads and on pizzas, camembert and most blue cheese for eating, mozarella for pizza, regular edam for toasted sandwiches or what-have-you.

I like shredded cheese on my salad everyday, as far as subs and sandwiches, i like cheddar and american. and not only is cheese an easy way to get dairy in your life, theres a lot of protein too. you'd be stupid not to eat it

1274655391326.png

My favorites are Provolone (smoked or non smoked), Muenster, Medium Cheddar and Monterey Jack. I seriously love cheese so much that I just eat the cheese without anything else.

My favorites are Provolone (smoked or non smoked), Muenster, Medium Cheddar and Monterey Jack. I seriously love cheese so much that I just eat the cheese without anything else.

That's what I do with most cheeses too, I mean unless the thing I'm eating comes with cheese.

Bleu cheese and feta are also great, as KA pointed out. Some can be really bad though.

I absolutely love when I get a solid block of feta, and there's a lot of moisture in it and you can chop off a chunk of it and crumble it piece by piece, popping it in your mouth and just sucking the intensely flavored moisture out of it before chewing the rest.

Amazing.

Oh, I love that string cheese too. The kind you can peel apart. I never bothered to see the exact name, but it tastes kinda like provolone and monterey jack mixed.

Oh, I love that string cheese too. The kind you can peel apart. I never bothered to see the exact name, but it tastes kinda like provolone and monterey jack mixed.

Most of that is just mozzarella.

I wanted to make my own Queso Blanco. I found a recipe where you can make some of that, which is a mild cheese, for spreading or crumbling I think(not melting though), which can be made with just a gallon of milk and some juice from a few limes, or vinegar.

I have never tried a "crumbling" cheese. Just soft moist cheeses. :I

Thank science for cows. No bullshit, I'm vegetarian. It would be challenging to get proper nutrition without dairy products. Plus it tastes great.

All glory to the - holy cow, is that some cheese?

I put Parmesan on my spaghetti tonight.

I'm eating cottage cheese right now. Cottage cheese with some salsa as a dip.

I don't really consider Cottage cheese to be a cheese, but sure enough it is.

I love my cheddar, strong stuff the best really, Cathedral City etc. here are some of the good ones. Mexicana is nice, lots of spices/peppers, veeeery tasty :D

Favourite though has to be Red Leicester, nice hard texture and such a great taste, if I can't get that then some Double Gloucester does the job.

Don't like crumbly/soft/blue cheeses though :(

Manchego is my favourite at the moment. It's a Spanish sheep's cheese. I also like goat's brie and Saint Andre (it's kind of soft and doesn't taste of much, made from cow's milk in France). There's a really tasty Irish one called Durrus that I like too.

I hate blue cheese, with a special hatred reserved in my heart for Roquefort.

Hey RJMC, is that much different from Queso Blanco?

boursin_cheese.jpg

What is "sharp cheddar"? We have mild or mature in the UK.

Also Brie, Edam, Stilton all rather delicious.

Fried Spanish Cheese placed inside a triangle of pita bread with green olives on the side.

Not big on cheese, although I opt for American while ordering lunch at subway.

boursin_cheese.jpg

Sharp just means mature - it's aged longer so it has a stronger flavour.

Cheese is probably my favorite food. I'll eat any ****in cheese you put in front of me. Smoked cheeses are the shit. I made a grilled cheese sandwich with smoked Gouda and italian Fontina.

American cheese is generally shit, except for good Cheddar. Goat cheese is awesome, feta is delightful. Greek mizithra is one of my favorites. Damn, I'm getting some cravings for cheese now, I think I want to join a cheese of the month club, there are so many different kinds to try

I love my cheddar, strong stuff the best really, Cathedral City etc. here are some of the good ones. Mexicana is nice, lots of spices/peppers, veeeery tasty :D

Favourite though has to be Red Leicester, nice hard texture and such a great taste, if I can't get that then some Double Gloucester does the job.

Don't like crumbly/soft/blue cheeses though :(
You and me should be cheesebuddies. We'll go on cheese hunts across the world, shining a light on rare and exotic blends of fatty acids and capsaicin.

I think it's hard to beat a good Stilton served on crackers/hovis biscuits.

Generally I just eat mature cheddar cheese and have been sampling some great cheddars from local farmshops. 'Vesuvius Cheddar' which had chili in it was rather nice.

I remember having a local cheese down in Exeter called the 'Little Stinky'. The smell was abhorrent, seriously made me gag. I'm not usually affected by the smell of strong cheese, but this was in a league of its own.

there's a lot of moisture in it and you can chop off a chunk of it and crumble it piece by piece, popping it in your mouth and just sucking the intensely flavored moisture out of it before chewing the rest.

Amazing.

4toqjm.jpg

...And die!

n11692.jpg

I actually own that :(

Also, I don't really have an specific likes/dislikes when it comes to cheese. Cheddar, PeperJack, and Swiss are the two that come to mind when I think of delicious cheese, though.

boursin_cheese.jpg

I love that Boursin stuff, I buy it at the grocery store a lot.

I love all cheeses, especially sharp cheeses. Cheddar is my favorite generic cheese. Goat cheese is ****ing awesome. I really just love cheese in general. Whenever I have a little spare money I get nice cheese.

Pepper jack for sure, tillamook cheddar, brie. And I've also been meaning to try some camembert...

Any sharp cheeses, love the bite of it. Actually, pretty much any cheese.

I don't eat cheese, unless it's on top of a pizza.

Back