Scientists find definative proof of water on the moon

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
NASA scientists have discovered water molecules in the polar regions of the moon. Instruments aboard three separate spacecraft revealed water molecules in amounts that are greater than predicted, but still relatively small. Hydroxyl, a molecule consisting of one oxygen atom and one hydrogen atom, also was found in the lunar soil. The findings were published in Thursday's edition of the journal Science.

"Water ice on the moon has been something of a holy grail for lunar scientists for a very long time," said Jim Green, director of the Planetary Science Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "This surprising finding has come about through the ingenuity, perseverance and international cooperation between NASA and the India Space Research Organization."

awesome, someone build a hotel!

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/moonmars/features/moon20090924.html

Hydroxyl, a molecule consisting of one oxygen atom and one hydrogen atom, also was found in the lunar soil
That's no hydroxyl ion; THAT'S MY WIFE!

God damn it NASA, build a lunar base already!

What are we even going to do on the moon?

Mining, huge fields of solar panels on the bright side of the Moon, high power telescopes on the dark side of the Moon and eventually building launch pads for the Mars missions.

But back in reality they will ignore this and go straight for a manned mission to Mars, plant another American flag take some pictures/rock samples call it a day and head back home...

Mining, huge fields of solar panels on the bright side of the Moon, high power telescopes on the dark side of the Moon and eventually building launch pads for the Mars missions.

But back in reality they will ignore this and go straight for a manned mission to Mars, plant another American flag take some pictures/rock samples call it a day and head back home...
What would the use be for lunar solar panels? Or is that what the Lunar Extension Cord project is for? And what valuable minerals does the moon have?

What would the use be for lunar solar panels? Or is that what the Lunar Extension Cord project is for? And what valuable minerals does the moon have?

1.Use moon as solar power plant
2.Beam energy to Earth
3.???
4.Profit!

It's not my insane idea, it's NASA's, to use a microwave beam to get the electricity from the Moon down to Earth.
As for mining, I've heard they have detected deposits of helium 3 which could be used as rocket fuel.

It would be awesome if we could make an atmosphere on the moon but I doubt in 1000 years we'll ever figure out how. If we were to go to the Moon the people there could only stay temporarily unless they don't want any strong bones anymore. i think it would be cool to see how far someone is willing to go to see what really happens to your body when exposed to the real elements like intense gamma rays and severe bone loss.

also so many asteroids and meteorites have slammed into the Moon, I'm positive there has to be something up there we haven't seen before.

What are we even going to do on the moon?

6a00d83451b05569e2011571fee84e970b-450wi

Yay. Now I have even more reasons to like the moon besides the fact that its close to us, its useful everyone, brightens up the sky, and makes the tides go. It may just bump cheese into 2nd.

Oh dear, another young soul yet to learn from Pink Floyd. There is no bright side and dark side of the moon per se, but a near side and a far side, and they are both illuminated as the moon orbits the earth. Admittedly you are still somewhat right, a telescope on the far side would avoid back-lighting problems from Earth, and solar panels on the near side would make sense as it would make it much easier to beam the power back to Earth.

A telescope on the far side would be an incredibly useful thing to have if it were constructed on the moon or in parts and shipped - it could be larger than hubble (hell, the reduced gravity means it could be larger than KECK) and would suffer no atmospheric haze or extinction at all. Its only problem would be the rediculous contrast in temperature during the lunar month - it would have to be housed within a dome with the most powerful air-conditioners known to man to prevent warping etc.

Hey I own some of that moon, that may be my water. *goes to find moon-estates certificate*

Oh dear, another young soul yet to learn from Pink Floyd. There is no bright side and dark side of the moon per se, but a near side and a far side, and they are both illuminated as the moon orbits the earth.

Poor choice of words. By "dark side" of the Moon I meant the other side or "far side" as you said, which is always facing away from the Earth.

It's probably worth mentioning that some of the scientists were Indian.

What a potentially useful discovery.

Back