Second Scout Unlockable - Bonk Energy Drink & Achievements

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Today is Thursday and that means there is a new update update on 'The Scout Update' website. Today's update reveals 35 new achievements and the second Scout unlockable weapon, Bonk! the energy drink.
Runnin' rings around all them molasses-slow dummies out there on the battle- field is thirsty frickin' work. But when it comes to quenchin' that thirst, only one thermonuclear thirst detonator packs all the 'Atomic Punch' you'll ever need. Bonk! is fulla radiation, which as we all know is pretty great for givin' people superpowers. Just one can'll blast ya into a few second rush of radioactive energy so powerful you'll be dodgin' bullets like they ain't even there!
[br]Achievement examples:
  • I'm Bat Man
  • Dodgers 1, Giants 0
  • Caught Napping
  • Batter Up
  • Artful Dodger
  • Retire the Runner
The update also warns "After the beneficial effects of the radiation wear off, drinkers have reported experiencing feelings of lethargy that can last several seconds". You can visit The Scout Update web page here.

i can't access the page due to traffic, but that map in that background with 2 carts looks pretty interesting

Just keep pounding the website until it shows up, I'm sure thats what everyone else is doing..

Indeed, looks like a new gamemode. Probably involves racing the two payloads to a certain point. Which is a really interesting concept. Stop the other team pushing it, or put more on your cart?

Indeed, looks like a new gamemode. Probably involves racing the two payloads to a certain point. Which is a really interesting concept. Stop the other team pushing it, or put more on your cart?

Looks like they are side by side, which would mean you'd have to blow the crap out of each other to get it moving. It'll be loco!

Seems like an awesome concept if it's along those tracks.

Also...who says Valve don't skim through what the community posts: Post from: 01-01-2009
That Dirty Water-

Replaces: Scout pistol

An energy drink That Dirty Water when drunk ups the scout's speed by 50% for 5 seconds, making it handy for fleeing with the intel or retreating. There are some downsides though: 1) As soon as the effect wears off the scout's movement is reduced by 50% for 15 seconds. 2) There is a 4 second window while the scout is drinking where he could be attacked by an enemy
Pretty close DoctorWho! - http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2849825#post2849825

Picture1-33.png

^Mine is always completely unable to load up until a few minutes after.

Interesting. Is it really nothing but a speed increase? How is it digested? What exactly is the lethargy equate to? Is it infinite?

Good eye on that map in the background, I totally missed it.

I'm not sure Valve should be following the food and drink line of weapons - I think the laughable side of it may decrease.

I am more excited about the background and the scattergun the Scout is holding on the page. Double payload - New gamemode or just new map?
Also, that scattergun looks alot more rounded and refined than the original.

I've got a pretty idea about what "Artful Dodger" and "If You Build It" are about. Although they're sort of, you know, obvious.

Bonk might be good for specific runs but I see myself keeping the pistol.

Battle for who can get the bomb to the top of the hill first! Well thats my opinion on the background image. It was kinda obvious about the energy drink, I like the idea of of dodging bullets. It will be intresting to see if you can do this while carrying the inelegance or uber. So far the update is looking good but at the same time the unlocks are very obvious, but thats not a bad thing!

it'd be nice if the drink gave you the ability to triple jump, along with running faster

Most unlocks tend to be worse than the original weapons which adds to the what is the point aspect of what Valve is doing to TF2. They should focus on maps and game styles if this is the best they can do.

Most unlocks tend to be worse than the original weapons which adds to the what is the point aspect of what Valve is doing to TF2. They should focus on maps and game styles if this is the best they can do.
"Tend to be worse"? I beg to differ. It depends on your playstyle.

You barely even know what the exact specs of the drink are.

I'm fairly sure we can gather that there is a speed burst with a slow down afterwards. That with minor differences likely. It provides once again something that 1 in 5 having gives some sort of advantage but in regular gameplay nothing much.

If you only have one game style then yes they can improve performance, otherwise they are a flash in the pan.

the "miss, miss, miss!" part hints that you will also get a xx%(prolly 50%) chance to dodge projectile weapons while the drink is in effect.

will be good to sprint past sentries...which is something the scout needs.

also I don't think we'll see the new game mode in this update...we're were supposed to get watchtower and junction and none of them sports it....although if we do get a new game mode it's just a bonus....and yes it does seem to be some sort of payload-race which could be fun. I think the carts will only be side-by-side during the final stretch of the map and a select few areas of the map. so people need to decide if they want to defend or attack.

Most unlocks tend to be worse than the original weapons which adds to the what is the point aspect of what Valve is doing to TF2.
Disagree. I've grown used to my Blutslaugter, Kritkrieg, Ubersaw, Axitingisher, Natasha, Sandvich and KGB. I'm glad Valve took the time to develop them and I look forward to trying out what they release in the future.

I don't think we'll see the new game mode in this update...we're were supposed to get watchtower and junction and none of them sports it.
Watchtower and Junction are community maps and won't affect any new gamemode releases just like how Steel didn't prevent Arena from being released.

Whether Valve counts double-payload as a separate gamemode or just a variation on an existing gamemode remains to be seen.

Did the energy drink originate here? Or did the guy just find it from another forum? Because if it's the former, then we're awesome.

Kudos on the map in the background. I saw it and came straight to this site.

Firmly disagree. Each unlock has situations where it's better than the original. I'd argue that the Blutslauger & Ubersaw are pretty much upgrades, in fact. The rest are either equally as good but encourage a different play-style (such as the Backburner) or are situational (like the Sandvich). (I exclude the KGB from this comment, because I never really use either it or fists.)

The unlocks are fairly equally powered and, depending on your play style, can be far better. As for these, we have almost no idea how they work out, so why don't we hold off on condemning it.

I'm hoping that the burst of speed may be able to make up for lack of double jump in maps where double jump grants you pretty good shortcuts and oppurtunities. And I really want to be able to run by sentries like some one said above, always have.

Can't wait for more info on the double payload map. If only it was Alpine :(.

Unlock looks badass though.

I'd be assuming that it would replace the Pistol... Unless they want to give us a bonus item ontop of all all the rest.

The cooldown may well be some sort of snoozing animation, read one of the achievements;
Caught Napping - it could otherwise be to kill someone AFK...

Can you imagine what a game of TF2 is going to be like after the first week or so of the Scout update?! :)

I assumed Caught Napping had something to do with killing enemies you had stunned with the Sandman.

Can you imagine what a game of TF2 is going to be like after the first week or so of the Scout update?! :)

I plan to finally finish my "kill scouts with Natascha" achievement. I don't play much heavy.

I think the background map is part of the new mode.

Not sure if this is what Mutley meant, but I think it will envolve kill counts, seeing as none of the other game modes really involve them. The more kills a team has, the further the cart moves up the hill. It may even work on a pivot were when one cart moves up another moves down, whoevers cart is highest at the end of the round wins. The lines between the tracks probably have numbers on them, showing kill count. The carts are also probably the only source of health and ammo on the map so the further up the ramp they are, the longer it would take to go and retreive health and ammo.

Shame it's not alpine, could've worked very well with a hill.

I'd be assuming that it would replace the Pistol... Unless they want to give us a bonus item ontop of all all the rest.

Yeah, would be kind of silly to give us a bonus item and he's holding the scattergun so...

Anyway am I the first one to notice than an achievement says:

Use the Force-A-Nature to knock...

Gentlemen, the next unlock.

New one's here. cp_egypt is new community map. I love that map. Also, the most broken cp map, fastlane, gets fixed. Yes. No thread yet :/

Very disappointed in Friday's update news. Didn't we already get community maps? And an update to an old community map?!?!

Long weekend waiting for Monday.

-- EDIT --
Didn't read it all. There's a bit of tasty info about the Scout's vertical ascension with the new gun.

OOOH! And the Achievement descriptions are up!

Caught Napping: Kill 50 enemies from behind with the Force-A-Nature.

a couple of interesting hints gathered from the the achievement list:

1) supposedly the new scattergun unlockable is called "FORCE-A-NATURE".

2) "beanball"-stun a scout with his own ball....so apparently it's possible for scouts to knock back balls, I wonder if both bats are able to do this and if it's possible to knock back something like the demomans grenades.

3) "out of the park"- Bat an enemy 25 meters new knock back effect? both bats? this was also sorta hinted at in the "sand man" how-to-comic...maybe the knockback only happens with stunned enemies?

4)"Caught Napping": Kill 50 enemies from behind with the Force-A-Nature. special damage/effect when attacking from behind with the FORCE-A-NATURE? maybe the knockback is only works from behind?

5)"Fall Classic": Cause an environmental death or suicide using the Force-A-Nature's knockback. just confirmation that the new gun will have a knockback effect...the map description of the new egypt map also mentions that the scout can gain a height advantage with the new gun...which hints that it will possibly also cause some sort of blowback on the scout. e.g. aim it downwards for similar effect to a rocket jump?

6)"First Blood, Part 2": Kill 5 enemies with the First Blood crit buff. new arena game-play mechanic? bonus crit chance for whoever get the first kill?

7)"Artful Dodger": Dodge 1000 damage in a single life using your Bonk! Atomic Punch. further hints that the energy drink will have some sort of bonus chance to dodge bullet-type weapons while active.

Back