SEGA secures Alien movie license

Reaction score
I was always a fan of Alien games ever since playing Alien Resurrection back in the days of Playstation. It was the scariest game for its time and I would say still today. Now, SEGA are planning to have their first Alien game released in 2009, and are even in talks with Ripley and Bishop from the film right now.

Let's hope SEGA shine with this one.

According to a report by The Hollywood reporter, SEGA will use the Alien license to create a series of games, including a first-person shooter and RPG, with the first game to appear in 2009.

SEGA is also in talks with actors from the films, including Sigourney Weaver (Ripley) and Lance Henriksen (Bishop), to reprise their movie roles and provide their likenesses and voice work for the games.

"We haven't finalized anything at this point, but everything is on the table," said Rob Lightner, SEGA VP of business development. "It's important for everyone to understand the difference here: We're taking licensing to the next level with this franchise."

The games will not follow the strict story lines of the four films, but will provide a new experience by drawing on the history and lore of the films, although the Alien Vs. Predator series is not included in the deal.

"We'll go out of our way to tie the games into the films in unique ways," said Mike Gallo, senior producer of the "Alien" games. "We're also looking at all 'Alien' source material for inspiration, in addition to the films. We may incorporate some characters that fans know and love, and we may let gamers find answers to questions that were left unanswered in the movies."

Gallo says that the new games will stand out from previous alien efforts thanks to new technology developed specifically for next-generation hardware.

Expect more in the way of an official announcement from SEGA in the not too distant future.

Hmm... interesting...

Sonic Vs Aliens? Now thats a game I'd play.

On a more serious note, that sounds like we could see some decent games in the future, so load up the M41A's and lets go bug hunting!

please please PLEASE do a decent co-op multiplayer Aliens-based game.

Check those corners!

There it is! Fire! Short bursts!

*buddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabudda*

Is it dead? Better make sure...

*buddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabudda*

Its good to know that the alien franchise is alive and kicking. I hope this one scares the pants, shoes, and socks of me.

atleast is not some crappy like EA

and I remnber the alien ressurection but didnt played it so much

I'm not too sure SEGA can pull it off to be honest and make a game deserving of the Alien series. Briefly looking at their backtrack of games, they don't have too many quality titles. But I hate to pre-judge, so I'll just sit back in the meantime and do what I do most, 'hope'. :rolleyes:

I'm not too sure SEGA can pull it off to be honest and make a game deserving of the Alien series. Briefly looking at their backtrack of games, they don't have too many quality titles. But I hate to pre-judge, so I'll just sit back in the meantime and do what I do most, 'hope'. :rolleyes:
If they have a release date of 2009, then they will have plenty of time to throw together something spectactular. With the next generation graphics and interaction we're seeing in games now, there is pretty much no way they could screw this one up.

Oh thank god they're going straight with the plain old Aliens not AvP which will bring back horrors of the movie

D:

Hahaha. I was -this- far away from asking if an AvP game was ever made...

Hmm, think I used to have the Alien(s?) game for Playstation, it was pretty fun. Much freakier than Doom anyway, but mostly the same gameplay wise (except with slower bullets... yeah, kinda weird).

The AVP games (all 2 of them) are easily examples of the best scary shooter games since system shock 2 - they really were decent games

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=6297

Looks like gearbox and obsidian might be the developers, could be BS though.

I think both could do a great job, I would love to see obsidian work with a game that isn't a bioware lisence. Gearbox is capable of good games, you just have to hope it gets the effort brothers in arms did and not the effort their shitty ports do.

Oh thank god they're going straight with the plain old Aliens not AvP which will bring back horrors of the movie

D:

Agreed. Plain old Alien series will do us just fine. None of that alien vs. predator crap. It's like doing a Terminator vs. Agent Smith movie or game :x

Not that I didn't enjoy the movie, I just hated the plot.

As mentioned though, the AvP games have historically been VERY good. It just depends what kind of game they want to do.

heh now I think about if they make it right this will be a hell of a scary game

As mentioned though, the AvP games have historically been VERY good. It just depends what kind of game they want to do.

Yeah i know they have been cvery good, but i would rather a classic Alien game

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163134.html?tag=latestnews;title;3

Yep, this is amazing news. Though, I would've figured an action/RPG working better than just a regular RPG. Obsidian's focus has always started with story first and its difficult to see what they could really do with the Alien franchise. Not to say that the Alien movies didn't have good plots or characters. I'm assuming the RPG will be from the point of view of the aliens while the FPS from the Marines.

Back