selfish hardware question contained - please don'tflame me!

K

krosfyah

Hi all - i'm new here (3rd post ever). I am semi technical - by that i mean i know how my system is put together, how to change my video card, what 8x AGP means etc, but, i don't over clock, i don't know what different makes of RAM will do to improve my system performance, and i can't change a motherboard.

I was hoping SOMEONE might be kind enough to rate my system against their own. I know some of you are extremely knowledgable technically and was hoping you could give a rough, general, arbitary indicator on what you think of my system.

It's a:

2500XP Athlon Barton (running at about 1.8Ghz), 512 meg ram with a ATi 9700 Pro.

I would consider this mid range, leaning towards budget. Does anyone have a comparable system that they plan on running HL2 on and have been able to try CS:Source, that can give me an indicator on performance?

Many thanks to ALL who respond with a constructive reply. I do hope everyone has a fun HL2 playing experience, and i'm sorry again for possibly posting something that people on the board have been inundated with!

I'm hoping to get at least 30 FPS at 1024 x 768, max settings, with my Celeron 500 Mhz, 128 Mb of SDRAM, and integrated graphics. You should be fine.

My system:

2600XP, 512 MB Ram, 9600 Pro

1024x768, all highest quality settings, 2x AA and trilinear filtering. I get ~43fps average in the video stress test.

are you serious? I'm no techie as i stated, but your 30fps seems somewhat over optimistic on that spec, no? Like i said, i could be completely wrong, but that is quite a ways below what was deemed the "minimum" playing requirements mate.

You should be fine krosfyah, but I'm not too sure about glamhawk though... Or maybe he's kidding?

Dude, my rig palyed HL1 just fine. I don't see how HL2 will be any different.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
512 mb ram
ATi Radeon 9600XT 128mb

63 FPS with stress test
(with 4.12 omega driver. the omega driver boosted up the performance by ~10fps)

glamhawk said:
I'm hoping to get at least 30 FPS at 1024 x 768, max settings, with my Celeron 500 Mhz, 128 Mb of SDRAM, and integrated graphics. You should be fine.
Hahaha :LOL:... prepare to be dissapointed.

glamhawk said:
Hahaha, I hope you're joking.

glamhawk said:
You must be the dumbest person on this WHOLE FORUM ! LOW setting, 800x 600 .. with your specs MAYBE .. AND i repeat myself MAYBE 12 FPS ! :dozey:

You guys are way off base. A 500 Mhz Celeron is equivalent to a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4. SDRAM was fast when I bought it (still good, I think?). And integrated graphics is super fast because it's built RIGHT ON your motherboard.

Yeah, I think you should underlock your cpu a little, or it migh run it too fast. Otherwise it will be too hard to hit all those little buggers.

glamhawk said:
You guys are way off base. A 500 Mhz Celeron is equivalent to a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4. SDRAM was fast when I bought it (still good, I think?). And integrated graphics is super fast because it's built RIGHT ON your motherboard.

umm...heh, are you kidding? :rolling: Since when is a 500mhz celeron equivalent to a 3.0ghz pentium 4? :LOL:

glamhawk said:

Uhh, yea, there's going to be quite a difference between the two ;)

glamhawk said:
Hmm... you might have a point there :eek:

If it doesn't run fast enough, I'll just put another 32 Mb of memory in my awesome rig. Then we'll see who has got the better system!!! My mom says I have the fastest computer she's ever seen.

glamhawk said:
If it doesn't run fast enough, I'll just put another 32 Mb of memory in my awesome rig. Then we'll see who has got the better system!!! My mom says I have the fastest computer she's ever seen.

Tell your mom that i said it's a bit....outdated for gaming :D

krosfyah said:
Hi all - i'm new here (3rd post ever). I am semi technical - by that i mean i know how my system is put together, how to change my video card, what 8x AGP means etc, but, i don't over clock, i don't know what different makes of RAM will do to improve my system performance, and i can't change a motherboard.

I was hoping SOMEONE might be kind enough to rate my system against their own. I know some of you are extremely knowledgable technically and was hoping you could give a rough, general, arbitary indicator on what you think of my system.

It's a:

2500XP Athlon Barton (running at about 1.8Ghz), 512 meg ram with a ATi 9700 Pro.

I would consider this mid range, leaning towards budget. Does anyone have a comparable system that they plan on running HL2 on and have been able to try CS:Source, that can give me an indicator on performance?

Many thanks to ALL who respond with a constructive reply. I do hope everyone has a fun HL2 playing experience, and i'm sorry again for possibly posting something that people on the board have been inundated with!

amd 2500 should be equivalent to 2.5ghz from intel.
since ive got a 2.4ghz @2.7. with 1024ddr pc3200 (400mhz)
and a radeon 9700pro.. and my game play is quite alright.
but you might want to overclock your radeon... www.guru3d.com look for ''atitool'' newest catalyst 4.11 helps out too.. you should be allright.. but when you want to have slightly better performance upgrade to 1024ram. same freq. as your old ones or buy 1024ram with a higher freq.

My 8mb integrated vid. card didn't make my computer have only 24mb of RAM, I LOVED it! It wasn't a no brand piece of shit! I'm so sad that I bought a much MUCH better computer in January!

CloSe2InSaNitY said:
amd 2500 should be equivalent to 2.5ghz from intel.
since ive got a 2.4ghz @2.7. with 1024ddr pc3200 (400mhz)
and a radeon 9700pro.. and my game play is quite alright.
but you might want to overclock your radeon... www.guru3d.com look for ''atitool'' newest catalyst 4.11 helps out too.. you should be allright.. but when you want to have slightly better performance upgrade to 1024ram. same freq. as your old ones or buy 1024ram with a higher freq.
Overclocking the graphics card would only give a marginal improvement, better drivers can make just as much difference.
Overclocking the 2500+ processor to 3200+ speed is easy and could give a decent performance boost.

glamhawk said:

lmao! Ok you were kidding - sorry, im new, don't know who are the kidders and who are the serious peeps. I guess you are definitely one of the former :p

Yellonet said:
Overclocking the graphics card would only give a marginal improvement, better drivers can make just as much difference.
Overclocking the 2500+ processor to 3200+ speed is easy and could give a decent performance boost.

thanks Yellow - im too new to send you a private message - was hoping you might be able to provide a link or explain to me how to do this...bearing in mind as i said, im far from a tech head.

Many thanks to you, and all who provided some nice stats on similar rigs as mine...

And to the guy who said i should be running around 2.5Ghz - it says in my system info it runs at 1.8Ghz, so that was what i was going on...

Thanks all!

Whoever said that is wrong, 2500+'s run @ 1833mhz so your fine.

edit: just read his post, he wasnt saying you should be running @ 2.5ghz he said that a 2500+ is the equivalent to a 2.5ghz Pentium, which is right.

edit: what speed is your ram as well? if your running 3200 ddr then its easy fairly to overclock your 2500 to a 3200. 2500+'s are 11x166fsb chips and 3200+'s are 11x200fsb chips, so all you have to do is set your fsb to 200 and make sure cpu/ram are running 1:1 and your done. I wouldnt try doing it on the stock AMD heatsink though because they are pretty much useless. But if you get a cheapy Thermaltake or something similar you should be ok, just make sure you dont run over 50-55c under load and your chip will be happy.

ill be playing on

amd xp 3200+ , 1gig ram , 9800pro oc to x800, WEVE ONLY GOT hours to go guys n gals!!!!!

haha i'll be using my crappy windows 98... 1.7gHz Pentium 4, 256mb ram..... 3 gb of hd space all for half-life 2.... and my geforce 2 mx 400

glamhawk said:

JESUS!! LMFAO

Dood are you for REAL?

krosfyah said:

It's a:

It will play just fine on your computer. You need to upgrade to play the game "the way it was meant to be played", but it will still run fine with your specs. Don't expect supersexy grahics though :)

krosfyah said:
I use to have an Athlon XP 2800+ and a 9800 Pro. I'm pretty sure you can run it very comfortably at 1024x768 and experience the full detail of HL2. ;)

It is far from needed but
If you OC your graphic card it will run a bit quicker.
If you OC your CPU it will run a bit smoother.

Asus said:
I use to have an Athlon XP 2800+ and a 9800 Pro. I'm pretty sure you can run it very comfortably at 1024x768 and experience the full detail of HL2. ;)

It is far from needed but
If you OC your graphic card it will run a bit quicker.
If you OC your CPU it will run a bit smoother.

Asus your new avatar = :x

blahblahblah said:
Question: How many accountants does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: How much money do you have?

lol ok now that really made me laugh out loud, dude ied punch you if i were next to me right now

Back