Shader models

Hunter_8472

Reaction score
Whats the difference between SM 2 & 3.0?

I want to get an ATI card, due to their being better at HL2, but I don't want to lose the effects generated by SM 3.0.

the difference is just sm3.0 can run more bumpmaps and textures faster than sm2.0 it would probably be best to get a 6800 since it wont make a difference in ati cards unless u want to wait for the r520 card which has ps3.0 but will be around 600 bux

Isn;t your current card good enough for you? That card must run it pretty well, and plus its heavily overclocked too, so it cant be slow??

HL2 dosn't use PS3 I believe so.... it wouldn't do anything extra for Hl2..

The Lost Coast, however, will use SM3.0 in their higher quality HDR implementation.

Currently makes little difference.

duffers20 said:
Isn;t your current card good enough for you? That card must run it pretty well, and plus its heavily overclocked too, so it cant be slow??

I'm with duffers on this one. Only the Nvidia FX series suck at HL2. No need to get rid of your nicely overclocked 6600gt, not for a while.

SM2.0 does a hundred or so instructions
SM2.0b (X800 cards) can do a few hundred instructions and also some other things that SM3.0 does.
SM3.0 can do even more instructions.

Just so ya know, Farcry used <50 shader instructions and HL2 used <100 for their effects. Lost Coast on the other hand will want 3.0 to do the High Quality HDR mode. SM2.0 will work well for medium quality HDR mode.

It isn't too big of a deal though. Just get whats in your price range.

Dumb Dude said:
I'm with duffers on this one. Only the Nvidia FX series suck at HL2. No need to get rid of your nicely overclocked 6600gt, not for a while.

Well, I'm hardly rushing to bin it, I'm just considering alternatives for the next time I upgrade.

Back