Short Story (Go easy :P)

Llama

Tank
Reaction score
Right, the first short story i've been working on, not sure where to post it as it isnt HL fan fiction (thought It uses references from HL 1+2, including g-man speeches), give me your views. I think it's fairly crap but hey, at least I tried :p

(Note, I dont take any responciblity for the phrases / Names used by Valve Software / Id Software.)

Chapter 1

October 31st, 1999 - An ordinary night for Halloween - or so it seemed. James Liner and Mark Kennedy crept through the darkness of Webster’s forest. The sky was completely clear, dappled moonlight falling softly onto the thick, crunching carpet of leaves. Mark and James had one mission, and that was to investigate the local mineshaft. James, who was only thirteen years old, was the older, and braver, of the pair. He spoke in a hushed voice as they slowly made their way through the woods, guided by the worn, ancient footpaths.
“They say that the mines closed down in 1840, after a little ‘incident’. Twelve miners vanished while working a night shift. They were never seen again.”
Marks eyes widened, but he hid his fear from James as they crept toward the base of the first shaft. “What happened to the Miners?”
“No-one knows” Replied James. “They never found the bodies”
“Bodies? What happened?”
“That’s why we are here, dumbo. I’m gonna find out. Are you,or are you chicken? Hurry up”
Mark shook his head. He was no chicken. Besides, what could possibly go wrong?

***​
As they reached the base of the seemingly bottomless shaft, James took off his backpack, pulling out two grappling hooks, and several dozen metres of rope. Both boys were experienced cavers, so would have no problem rappelling down the shaft. James was awarded the honour of edging down first, following a second later by Mark. The vertical passage began to thin and compress as they slipped further down into the abyss below. Without warning, the boys’ tranquil journey was halted painfully by a solid granite floor. They now sat at the base of a huge cave. All around them were hundreds of stone pillars, carved in perfect precision to each other, with intricate patterns warping their otherwise plain features.
“Holy God,” breathed Mark. “What is this place?”
James, however, was not in the mood to answer. The moonlight that was streaming through the mineshaft had just shown a problem – the ropes had given way, and the boys were now stuck three hundred feet below the surface. James turned to Mark, who was still blissfully unaware of their problem. “Mark…we have to find an alternate way out” Mark gazed up for a second, groaned, and banged his head against the floor. He obviously got the message. “Come on, get up” James pulled his moaning colleague up, and they began to circle the area. It was when Mark first let out a high pitched scream that James turned round. What he saw then paralysed every bone, every muscle in his body. A narrow corridor, leading off the side of the main chasm. Its every inch of wall space covered in bone. Human bone. “What did you say about the Miners” James had read the books on the legend of Webster’s mine. It was said that the miners discovered a hidden passageway to what they called “The Dreamworld” It was also said that the creatures that dwelt in the Dreamworld were far from friendly. But this knowledge was overwritten by an urge within him to find out what lay behold the passage. He crept forward. “Come on” he shouted. “We have to see what’s in here!” Mark’s face contorted. His every impulse was not to follow, but he couldn’t leave his friend behind. It was a mistake that would cost him dearly…

***​
The passage that they entered was lined with flickering torches. It had narrowed to the point the boys where shuffling on their sides in single file. It seemed to go on forever. Again, the corridor opened out. And again, it opened out into a chamber. But what the boys saw was not cause for celebration. The entire chamber was empty, dominated by a single, central pillar. The most magnificent thing the boys had ever seen. It was huge, entirely crafted with what seemed to be glass. The walls around it where equally decorated by what appeared to be basic forms of hieroglyphs. However, the hieroglyphs themselves where covered in messages, written in what appeared to be blood. Messages of hatred. Torment. Anger. Mark gulped. “I think we had better go ba-” His words cut off when he turned around. The passage had been blocked off, replaced by solid wall.
A hideous, ear-splitting roar filled the air, uttering the words “Suffer….burn….DIE…..”
“James, we have to leave this place, NOW!” But his cries went unnoticed. The glass pillar began to split in two, filling the chamber with blindingly intense white light, pulling its screaming victims towards it. Within seconds it was all over. The pillar closed its doorway, darkness overcame the light. The passage reopened, its torches diminished. High above, in Webster’s forest, clouds swamped the moon.
It will happen again. Webster’s forest has claimed many victims. James and Mark were not the first. The Dreamworld will take another victim, on another moon. It will lie in wait, until again discovered…and the midsummer nights dream will live.
Chapter 2​

James and Mark were still alive, but only just. James’s eyes began to open as he slipped in and out on consciousness. All he could see was grey. They were lying on top of a pile of rubble. It was a city. High rise buildings all around them. Car wrecks littered the roads. The entire place was deserted. All except for one man, standing upon the roof of one of the buildings. Mark was still knocked out, so James could only watch as the man approached the edge. He looked around to the left, and then to right- Then threw himself off.
James could only watch as horror as he fell towards the earth. The sound he made when he hit the ground was too much for James. He collapsed on the floor, weeping silently. It is highly likely that he would have continues to do so, if not he were rudely interrupted by a slap to the face. A man in an immaculately tailored dark blue suit stood over him. He appeared to be fairly old, at least 50. His face was withered and he seemed very frail, but his cold grey eyes were burning with an aura of power. He was clutching a briefcase in one hand, but pulled James to his feet with an almost frightening lack of effort. He crouched over Mark, who awoke immediately, then straightened up. “Let’s go.” James stood perplexed.
“Who are you?” The man grimaced, straightening his tie. “That, my friend, is irrelevant. What IS relevant is that you and your accomplice are the only two living creatures in this entire world. Whether or not you want to get back to your homes now rests on your co-operation. Do as I say…or suffer the punishment”
James stood standing for a second. How did he know where they came from? What did he mean they where the only ‘living’ inhabitants of the area? And what was the punishment? However, he had no time for contemplation. The man had began to stroll down the pavement, and Mark was following.
They walked for hours, until the sun had become a blood red streak on the horizon. The man turned off into a side road, into the entrance of what looked like a car park. They continued to walk, level after level. After 7 levels of striding the man stopped. Mark and James followed suit. The man turned round to face them. “Look to your left. You will need what’s in there” The boys obligingly turned around. All that seemed to be was there was a damp cardboard box. Unfortunately, that really WAS all that was there. The man had disappeared. Panicking, they rushed over to the boxes and peered inside. Inside was a pair of steel baseball bats. “Why would we need these?” Mark breathed. But his question was answered before James had a chance to move his lips. Answered by a low, throbbing moan. The boys spun round, just in time to see it crawling out of the shadows.
It was bipedal, just the similarities with the boys ended there. It must have been 7 feet tall. Its hide was a mass of black scales. What appeared to be clustered red eyes were burning in its skull. It gave out a low hiss, and started to shamble over. James didn’t stop to think. He leapt forward and slung his bat as hard as he could at its head. It certainly did damage, twisting its neck round. But it didn’t stop turning. Within a second it had revolved around completely, its twisted features once again facing James.
“Um, mark….why isn’t it dead yet?”
“I dunno. Umm…run?”
“Yeah”
The boys turned round and sprinted as fast as they could away from the beast. They hurled themselves up the concrete steps until they reached the top floor. They could hear the creature shambling up the stairs. They had to think quickly. James peered upwards. A large concrete tube was suspended by a thin wire. “Mark, when I say now, whack that wire as hard as you can with the bat, ok?” Mark nodded.
As the creature exited the steps James could clearly see that a huge hole had been torn out of its face by his bat. “Okay, Mark, ready….NOW!” He and Mark flung their bats at the wire cable with all their might. It snapped, sending the concrete flying into the creature. It ripped through its stomach and impaled it against a wall. Even as it started to thrash around, a familiar white light struck them, blinded the boys instantly. As everything faded to black, an all to recognizable voice began to slice through the air.
“Wisely done, Mr Liner.” It was the business-like man from the Car park. “That was quite a nasty piece of work you managed over there, I am impressed…”
In a flash, the two boys where once again stood at the top of the car park, with the creature thrashing on the adjacent wall. But this time, they where gazing into the cold eyes of the business man, as a door concealed in the concrete slid open, revealing nothing but light.
“That’s why I’m here Mr.Liner. I have recommended your services to my…employers, and they have authorized me to offer you survival, they agree with me that you have limitless potential” James could still barely see a thing, but he managed to grab hold of Mark as the man continued to talk.
“You’ve proved yourself decisive boys so I don’t expect you’ll have any trouble deciding what to do. If you’re interested just step through the doorway and I will take that, as a yes…Otherwise, well…I can offer you a battle you have no chance of winning.” He gestured over to the creature on the wall which was, despite the fact it was impaled through the stomach, beginning to rip itself off. “Rather an anti climax after what you’ve just survived…” James had no choice. It was uncertainty and most probably death - or certain death. He grasped Mark by the hand, and led him through the doorway…

Chapter 3​

James’s head began to pound. Every square centimetre of his flesh was searing, his temples throbbing. The white light began to fade, replaced with…sand. He lay face down. He lifted his head an inch of the ground. Nothing. Just an endless sea of desert, bright blue sky blazing overhead. It was only then that James realized he was alone.
“Mark? MARK! Where are you?”
No-one. Nothing. James was alone in the baking hot Sun. He began to crawl forward. It felt as though the clothes were slowly burning of his back, he had never experienced pain like this in his life. It wasn’t only the physical torture he could feel. He knew Mark was dead. He had no proof, but something within him told him that he had gone forever. Something glistened on the horizon. What could it be? Water perhaps? James began to crawl towards it. He struggled for hours, desperately defying the urge to give in. After what seemed almost like an eternity, the sand beneath him became to slope downwards. It was what looked like a crater of some sorts. And directly in the centre was…a lump. Before he could reach it, he felt his leg scrape painfully on the sand. Blood began to leak out, washing away a thin layer of dust and sand to reveal bare, rough rock. There was something different about this rock. It was covered in Hieroglyphics. The same that he had encountered in Webster’s Mine. Webster’s Mine. It seemed like only hours ago. Mark was with him then, wasn’t he? A tear rolled down his cheek and onto the ground below James, before it was almost instantly evaporated. Whatever that lump was it had to be something. James began to edge towards it. His legs felt as though they had been torn apart, the harsh rock face rubbing and scrapping them raw. The ‘object’ James was aiming for was only a foot away now. It was covered in a damp dirty cloth. James reached out his arm, and tugged off the cloth. His eyes widened. It was a stone heart. James began to panic. Where was the answer to his problems? Where was civilization? Where was the water he so desperately needed?
Before he had a chance to think, he reached out and grabbed the heart firmly in his hand. A horrible wave of cold swept over him. His eyes began to slip out of focus, his eyes filling with a noise of unimaginable horror. The screams of thousands, the deaths of millions, it seemed to resemble. He had no control. The screams became deafening, the heat overpowering – And the child knew no more.

***​
“Father, he has awoken!”
“Impossible. No one can survive the artefact. Unless…”
“You don’t think it could be him, do you….the one?”
James eyes flickered open. Where was he? He was certainly still in the desert, that was for sure. The fiery heat was still lashing down on him, but it didn’t seem to bother him. Two men were sitting beside him, staring in awe. The deep crater had gone, replaced with a cluster of nomadic straw huts.
“Who…who are you?” James enquired. The man turned to his counterpart. “I cant be bothered to explain. Show him what he is up against then call me” With that, he got up and strolled away into a nearby hut. The remaining man sighed. He was certainly very young, perhaps 18 or 19. His hair was incredibly light, his skin a dark, chestnut brown. Yet it was his eyes that were peculiar. They were incredibly bright. He smiled briefly, then continued. “We had thought you dead. It’s not every day that someone can pick up the Heart of the Maledict and life to talk about it.” James eyes drifted down to the heart in his hand. It was obviously the heart he had previously picked up - but it was alive. It had turned from granite grey to a dark, muddy brown, and was pulsating in his hand. James spun away, retching violently. The man beside him smiled. “Yeah, I know it’s probably not the nicest thing in the world to touch. But then again, it IS the Heart of the Maledict”
James paused for a second
“Maledict?”
“Yeah. The thing that was chasing you in the cityscape earlier” James choked back another wave of nausea. “How do you know about that?” The man paused for thought.
“I know a lot, it’s fairly safe to know that. What I still don’t know is why the Maledict hasn’t ripped your head off yet. Or why you can hold its heart in your hand without the skin melting off your face.”
Despite this rather graphic description, James continued to press his questions.
“You still haven’t told me, what IS this Maledict?”
The man sighed. For the first time, he looked away. When he regained eye contact, the sparkle had gone from his eyes.
“A demon. A creature of Hell itself. The heart you hold in your hand is the key to reaching your world. It is a source of incomprehensible power. It is the link between your world, the Dreamworld, and Hell. He has been searching for it for millennia. It is the only way to destroy him. If he regains possession…both Earth and the Dreamworld will cease to exist”
Hell. That was the phrase that James struggled to understand. He was being chased across the ‘Dreamworld’ by a demon from Hell. So much for the zero pressure element. He flopped down on his back and closed his eyes. His brain was begging, pleading for him to wake up and realize this was a dream. It wasn’t. He sat back up.
“What do you want me to do?”
The man gulped. James need not had heard his reply, he could have guessed anyway.
“The only way to defeat the Maledict is to return it to him while in Hell. The problem is we don’t know exactly how you return it. Getting to Hell is no problem…it’s just that no one has ever survived in there.” James stood up. “And how do you expect me to get to Hell?” The man gave a sinister chuckle. “Follow me” He began to walk to the outskirts of the village. James could see various people and children working and playing in the huts. He followed his mysterious new ally away from the happiness. They became to ascend the base of what James thought simply to be a hill. When he reached the top he realized how wrong he was. It was the same crater he had previously crawled into. But now the ground had been torn open into a huge tunnel. Liquid rock burned around the edges, and everywhere around and inside the tunnels entrance was covered in flame.
“Okay. How EXACTLY am I supposed to walk through that?”
“When in possession of the Artefact” Replied the man “You have the ability to travel from the Dreamworld to Hell without the usual fiery incineration. Now the only way you can possibly get back to Earth is be killing Maledict. And if that doesn’t work…well, you couldn’t be any worse off, could you?” James gulped. “In the meantime” Continued the man “You’ll be sleeping in your tent until your ready to go in” He turned round and started his descent, James obligingly following. Had he done something in a past life wrong to deserve this? They stopped next to a large straw hut, and the man gestured for him to go in. He did. The hut was completely blank, except for a small bed sitting in the centre. James reproachfully lay down. He fell asleep immediately. He would be safe for the night here at the very least, he thought. How very wrong he was…

***​
It was the scream that woke him up. And it was the searing heat of the fire blazing around him that made him leap out his bed. His hut had become a blazing inferno. He looked down at the artefact still in his hand. If he hadn’t known what he would have to use it for, he would have been grateful for its power. He rushed outside, stopping dead in his tracks. It was him. The Maledict. The creature from the city. Its stomach was still a gaping hole; its body was still scaled. Everything around it was burning. It paused for a second, picking up the lifeless body of James’s helper – and tore off his head.
James turned and ran. He sprinted as fast as he could towards the hill. He was half way to the summit when he turned around. Just as his did, he saw the Maledict’s back burst open, blood showering everywhere, as a huge pair of black wings unfurled from the torn flesh of the demon. He let out a low hiss, echoing through the night air
“I know what you possess. Your death shall not be your end. Your soul will burn in Hell forever!” James continued to run, scrambling up the mountainside. As he did, the Maledict took flight. James only just reached the outskirts of the tunnel in time. As he was sucked through, the last thing he heard in the Dreamworld was the furious roar of Maledict. The flames had dissipated, replaced by a tunnel of flesh, throbbing slightly as he was pulled through. All control of his body had gone, but James heard on tightly to the Artefact, knowing that letting go would result in an untimely end to his adventures. Then, without warning, the area around him blackened out completely as a thunderbolt like noise exploded in his ears. The screams of countless tortured souls were once again ringing in his ears, as for the second time, his eyes swam out of focus…

Chapter 4​

James stood on a low level stone floor. It was the base of a huge cavern, surrounded by a lake on fire that words cannot describe. A narrow path of brimstone led up to a monumental staircase. Two stone griffins greeted James with their twisted features as he walked upwards. A column of green light was emanating from the top. Countless human faces streamed through, screaming in eternal torment. James stepped in. He instantly reappeared, floating above a seemingly bottomless pit of red fog. As he fell, a horrible merciless laugh filled the air around him, as pieces of an iron cage wrapped themselves around him
He fell through the air, landing with a thud in a narrow corridor. The cage had taken most of the punishment, snapping in two. The sight that greeted him was not pleasant. Pinned to the wall by the necks, shoulders and thighs were human bodies, horrifically mutilated. Legs and arms had been torn out, eyes gauged out of their skulls, and all the skin on the chests and stomachs had been ripped off, leaving bare flesh and organ.
James proceeded forward. The last body stopped him. It was Mark. James’s stomach lurched. He crumpled to the floor. As he did so, the mocking voice of the Maledict filled his ears.
“Look around you, child. Everyone is dead, and soon you will join them. Every step you take, your soul moves closer to me…”
James’s vision turned blood red. An incredible hatred poured into his body, overwhelming him. He stood up, and began to stride towards the end of the corridor. As he did, the wall to his left was blown off. He stooped through it. It was a huge cavern. Dominating it was what appeared to be a volcano. And standing below it was the Maledict.
It had certainly changed. Every inch of its skin had been burned off, its wings were torn and bleeding. James could see the throbbing veins leading off from where its heart should have been. It chuckled malevolently, eyes fixed on the artefact. James looked around. A huge pillar stood to the left. He raced towards it. The Maledict roared in anger. Its body began to spasm as it curled up. It drew back its head, and then threw its whole body forward, vomiting a stream of molten rock, heat and energy. James threw himself against the pillar as the torrent of magma spilled down, eroding the edges of the pillar. James had an idea. The Maledict leapt down and landed 30 feet away. “Don’t fight me, child. If you help me I can give you power beyond your imagination, or I can subject you to eternal damnation.” James peered around. Maledict stood directly south of the pillar. Without a thought, James turned to the pillar and pushed with all his might. It began to creak and groan, rocking slightly. The Maledict began to cackle madly. James mind wandered to Mark, still strung up outside in the corridor. An insane madness gripped him, overpowering him, forcing every inch of adrenaline through his arms. With a horrible crunch, the pillar gave way. The Maledict screamed but it was too late. It fell, crushing his legs and tearing his wings off. It unfurled a pair of sickle like claws from its hands, cutting through its spine and stomach, writhing in agony. Blood poured onto the ground as it crawled up to James, screeching in agony. Its leathery skin grated against the floor, naked flesh blistering from the friction
“GIVE…ME…BACK…WHAT’S…MINE!”
James smiled. Then he bent down, pulled the Maledict’s jaw open – and stuffed the Artefact into its mouth. A horrible sizzling sound filled the room, as the Maledict’s face began to burn off. James turned round and ran, ran for dear life, as the Maledict’s head erupted with blue light, bone and flesh spraying the cavern. He pounded down the corridor. The very walls around him started to bleed, the very air was shrieking. The faces shooting around above his head had starting to smoulder alive, blood drenching the floor as James desperately careened towards the end of the corridor.
A voice whispered in his head – Marks voice. “Run James, you’ve got to keep moving, maybe you still have”-

***​

The Maledict erupted in a huge ball of flame. A gargantuan ball of searing fire burst from its skin, incinerating the cavern and tore down the corridor to James. However, just as James covered his hands in preparation for his own incineration, the fireball froze. An all too familiar voice broke the silence
“…Time, Mister Liner? Is it really that…time again?” The man in blue, which James met in the city, walked through the fire towards him. He seemed transparent, almost holographic. “It seems as if you’ve only just arrived…you’ve done a great deal in a small time-span…so well in fact that, I’ve received some interesting offers for your services. Ordinarily I wouldn’t contemplate then but, these are extra-ordinary times…” There was bright flash. Everything had black, expect for the man, who had now become transparent enough to show the fire around him.
“Rather than give you the ILLUSION of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you. If, and when, your time comes round again.” Another flash. Now only the man, green light travelling up and down his features. “I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Mr Liner. I trust, it will all make sense to you in the course of…well…I’m really not at liberty to say…” Everything turned pitch black. The man smiled. “In the mean-time” He said “This is where I get off” He strolled forward as a doorway of white light opened in front of him. He straightened his tie and strolled through. The doorway closed, and everything, once again, turned black…

Cavers would call themselves spelunkers not cavers

Too many ideas for such a short story, jumps around too much. I dislike the whole 'guy goes from farmer to super-hero in a few days and defeats the bad guy he's never heard of' story arc (probably why I don't like Star Wars Episode 4)

Well, i liked it, i just think it could have done without the gman. He kinda sucked.

Heh, I feel like printing this thing off and going through it with a red pen. Though I guess without a scanner it wouldn't really be worth the time doing. :p

You basically need to fire up your imagination and rethink the way you're writing this. For example, setting the scene using phrases like "just a normal day -- or was it?!" and "but what could possibly go wrong??" just scream a lack of effort to me. My suggestion is to not worry about the story and work on improving your writing style, and try to avoid using cliches when describing something.

But hey, I don't really know how experienced you are with writing fiction, I'm just measuring by my own standards. :)

So what your saying is that your a hell of alot better?

No, he's saying that there are some problems, and he was helping with them. There's no need to be standoffish :/

I thought it was a pretty good short story. I agree with what KagePrototype said though.

Also, the Half Life series always struck as very scientific and nonmystical, and putting in a demon, while cool, somewhat clashed with the cold, alien, and logical nature of the GMan.

It's too chunky, doesn't flow very well.

KagePrototype said:
Heh, I feel like printing this thing off and going through it with a red pen. Though I guess without a scanner it wouldn't really be worth the time doing. :p

You basically need to fire up your imagination and rethink the way you're writing this. For example, setting the scene using phrases like "just a normal day -- or was it?!" and "but what could possibly go wrong??" just scream a lack of effort to me. My suggestion is to not worry about the story and work on improving your writing style, and try to avoid using cliches when describing something.

But hey, I don't really know how experienced you are with writing fiction, I'm just measuring by my own standards. :)
T'was the first peice of fiction I'd written for fun :bounce:
Thanks for the tips guys

The inclusion of the g-man was entirly pointless and hurt the flow more than anything else IMO.

Back