Should I buy a 256mb Video Card?

SaltyCrackers

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm planning on getting a Radeon 9800XT as soon as they hit Best Buy. But should I get the 256mb version? Will 256mb benefit the gameplay of games that will be released from late 2003- late 2004? (Such as Half Life 2, XIII, Deus Ex 2, MAx Payne 2, Thief 3, Doom 3, Trinity, MOHAA: Pacific Assault, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines) I play my games at 1074x768 resolution. I'd like to crank up AA and Af all the way. I'll probably be upgrading once again when dx10 comes out, so I guess it will be pointless to get a 256 card now when I could buy a newer card with 256 in the future when games require it. ANy info is much appreciated! Money isn't really a problem, I'd just like to know if games in the near future will utilize 256mb cards.:bounce:

if u have the money for it, go for it
i believe there is extra performance/features involved with having 256mb video card in games to come

I would defenetly wait... there is no need for 256mb for now, when the time comes to buy a 256mb , there will sure be better cards out in the stores than it's now... and the FPS you will gain with 256 is about 1-3FPS which 100$ isn't worth...

I have heard things about a ultra-high-resolution texture pack being released over steam by valve a few months after HL2s release. the pack is designed specifically for 256 MB video cards

still though, not worth the cash

9800 XT is only 256 MB. They don't carry 128 MB version.

Wait for the card to drop in price. If you absolutly must get something right now then go for the normal 128mb version of the 9800 or something cheaper.

Back