Should postcounts be hidden?

What Should be done about post counts?

• Keep them they way they are... I want to see them!

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Nobody should see them... they're worthless!

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Privately visible only - can be viewed in user CP for example

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters

DreamThrall

Reaction score
After this fiasco, I think it would be interesting to know how the HL2.net community feels about this... I'm not attempting to dictate forum policy mind you, this is just an innocent poll :D

DreamThrall said:
After this fiasco, I think it would be interesting to know how the HL2.net community feels about this... I'm not attempting to dictate forum policy mind you, this is just an innocent poll :D

I can't see a poll :(

my e-pen0r are teh hugerer!

Personally, I say keep it. Who would seriously go to someones CP just to see a postcount :p
and keep it up so we can make fun of those with 10k+posts :p

cyberpitz said:

Personally, I say keep it. Who would seriously go to someones CP just to see a postcount :p

I mean a user would only be able to see their own postcount in their CP... and it would be there in case they were curious about their own postcount... I think that would be fair.

No, fukc the posts, if you're a regular we'll know you, we don't need your posts to see you're here a lot, posts only encourage spam.

You should add an option for "I don't care" ;)

Because it really doesn't matter.

(I know this is an innocent poll fella, don't take that "I don't care" crack as harsh). :)

I saw one forum that gave everyone RPG style stats instead... something like this:

HP: (post count)
MP: (Posts per day)
XP: (time spent at forum)

All three were represented in bars based on forum's stats; eg, highest poster's HP bar would be full, people with 1 post would be empty (almost). No numerical representation.

It was cute.

No. It was funny as hell what happened until he started making a fuss about it :[ Whoever restored it to 10,000 is a boob :[.

RakuraiTenjin said:
No. It was funny as hell what happened until he started making a fuss about it :[ Whoever restored it to 10,000 is a boob :[.

He's back to 0 now.

bliink said:
I saw one forum that gave everyone RPG style stats instead... something like this:

HP: (post count)
MP: (Posts per day)
XP: (time spent at forum)

All three were represented in bars based on forum's stats; eg, highest poster's HP bar would be full, people with 1 post would be empty (almost). No numerical representation.

It was cute.
Does sound quite good that.

I'd like to keep them so i knew who was a regular and new what they were talking about, but i guess join dates also achieve that. Without ranks, post counts don't achieve much else, theres nothing to get to anymore, if you really wanted to. At the present moment they are not useful.

Hectic Glenn said:
Does sound quite good that.

I'd like to keep them so i knew who was a regular and new what they were talking about, but i guess join dates also achieve that. Without ranks, post counts don't achieve much else, theres nothing to get to anymore, if you really wanted to. At the present moment they are not useful.

I like that, wish they would do it here, but make it more relevant to Half-Life 2 I guess.

Devvo said:
He's back to 0 now.
I stand corrected! :D.

No, postcounts shouldn't be hidden, it's not really a big enough issue to merit it, don't you think? I mean, that thing happened right now, but it's not like there's a constant problem DIRECTLY linked to it or something.

Keep it this way. If people cross the line, the moderators will do their work.

Gotta have an E-penis, but remember... size doesn't count.

cyberpitz said:

I say get rid of them but keep the join date. Private would be cool too.

If you see http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb the postcount is only viewable on the profile page, so people do "seriously go to someones CP just to see a postcount"

On the above website ^, your "notoriety" is judged not by the amount of posts you have, but how useful your posts are. It seperates decent posters from retarded spammers that care about post count.

GET RID OF POST COUNTS

I say get rid of the join date and keep the post counts! :D

ahem.

theyre fine now, and the resetting of postcounts is complete sh*t. [/end of treasonous comment]

Keep them they way they are... I want to see them!

hmm...on one hand they should be taken away, its like what grey fox said if they have been here long enough then we would reconize them not there post count.

On the other hand...it is nice to show off what you have (not like i have that much..) and make your e-penis huge...

you should have made an "I cant decide" choice

15357 said:
I say get rid of the join date and keep the post counts! :D

ahem.

theyre fine now, and the resetting of postcounts is complete sh*t. [/end of treasonous comment]

I say get rid of the post counts and keep join dates.

DreamThrall said:

every few months we seen stuff like that happen.
the post count has been turned off and on again but the spam still stays the same.
i think its best to leave it as is.. and let the mods handle the situations which arise...i mean afterall thats why they are mods right?

as for spam...u won't get rid of it, with or without post count so just let the mods do their jobs.

Shodan said:
Gotta have an E-penis, but remember... size doesn't count.
It's not the size that counts, but the motion in the ocean :farmer:

and as we speak a damn N00B has created "Win PS3 with particapation" and other nonsense like that, when will the world be right again. Wait, when was the world ever right?

KagePrototype said:
We tried it once, but everyone ended up spamming more. :x

Oh, and moved. :p
I remember that, but it also got rid of alot of idiots too.
voted get rid of postcounts again.
The only ones that will care which way this vote goes, will be the ones who don't want their postcounts to be hidden.

cyberpitz said:

Well for one thing, we know borgasm would go there.

Meh.. I could care less either way.

The DemonWithin said:
I remember that, but it also got rid of alot of idiots too.
voted get rid of postcounts again.
The only ones that will care which way this vote goes, will be the ones who don't want their postcounts to be hidden.

or in other words: NOOBS

or people with that are egocentric

Howcome there isn't an X before the name of the thread when it's a poll?

It's using the vBulletin default icon now:

poll_posticon.gif

Devvo said:
I say get rid of the post counts and keep join dates.
YES! Assuming they change mine to my original join date in December 2003.

I think the bars idea is REALLY good. You could probably change some things, HP could just say health, and XP could be, say, ammo, trying to fit with the hl2 theme.

BUT I think it's a good idea because it can show both who is a vet easily with the xp bar, and how your post count relates wit the others. And yell at people with high posts per day for spamming \o/

Back