Ska (!)

Que-Ever

Reaction score
since the three letter word limit in the search prevents me from finding anything, And there isn't anything on the first couple of pages, I'll make my own thread.

So, anybody like ska? I personally think it's awesome, especially 2nd-3rd wave. I don't know much about it at all, but I generally just listen to music and not get into the bands and stuff.

For anyone who doesn't know what ska is check this, seems informative :D

oh, and people, if you're gonna bash ska in ehre, at least give a reason why.

Help Asap

Ok the guide i used does not work on this exmortis game it said to talk to the gwen girl then the cellar door should be open. HOWEVER i cant get through it i tried three damn times! it getting me angry so please RESPOND ASAP if you know how the damn door it supposed to open. :cool:

i really like ska, such bands as catch 22 (my fav), streetlight manifesto, reel big fish, less than jake...all are great, but they all have more of a punk-ska genre to them. what are some bands you like que?

I really like the mighty mighty bosstones, the dance hall crashers, and madness. nearly all of my CD's are compilations though, so most bands I only know one or two songs from them.

Que-Ever said:
I really like the mighty mighty bosstones, the dance hall crashers, \.

ah they are both great, in fact i was just listening to dhcrashers a min ago :D

bryanf445 said:
ah they are both great, in fact i was just listening to dhcrashers a min ago :D
really? I've never met anyone else who's ever heard of them :D
oh, and I forgot to mention the slackers. they're pretty awesome, too.

oh ill have to check them out...but yea me and my friends are pretty into them. But if you havent heard/listened to catch 22 i suggest you do, they are a all around good band :)

blast, I don't have any of them... I'll have to ask around.

Do you know any mods or rude boys? I've got this buddy who's a mod, and I guess I'm a part-time mod/suedehead. Part time because I've only got, like, two suit jackets. Anyway...

Liked ska when I was younger, grew out of it pretty fast but still listen to catch 22 from time to time (well, Keasbey Nights anyway. new singer sucks)

Meh...

I used to listen to it when I was 12 or so.
I think... that band with a woman with pink hair... uh... No Doubt.

And Less Than Jake...
I think I'll listen to some right now.

From the limited exposure I've had to ska (when simply looking for a gig to get drunk at), I can safely say I hate it. I can't put my finger on the details, but it just sounds to me like music for jackasses.

No offense. :|

Absinthe said:
From the limited exposure I've had to ska (when simply looking for a gig to get drunk at), I can safely say I hate it. I can't put my finger on the details, but it just sounds to me like music for jackasses.

No offense. :|
it could've been an assholey band, or the people there were being jerks... but ska is generally just really upbeat and happy. HAPPY, dammit! I don't know any other music that's happy.

Im more into the UK based Ska-core. Like Capdown, or Five Knuckle. Its great, because it combines the crazy dancing fun of ska with the meaty beatdown shit you get with Hardcore.

i used to be pretty into ska (by ska, i mean reggae, ska, and punk/ska), but by now i'm kind of out of it. it can be really good (ska'd for life by i dont remember was a hella cool song) but there's better stuff.

used to love the suicide machines though.

Que-Ever said:
it could've been an assholey band, or the people there were being jerks... but ska is generally just really upbeat and happy. HAPPY, dammit! I don't know any other music that's happy.

Nah, I didn't mean like assholes. I mean the kind of people that would rush into a room with a big grin, talk loud, and look like they're excited that a new day has arrived. As if they're permanently high on life. Yeah... maybe that's it. Upbeat happy makes me want to punch people.

*shrugs shoulders*

Absinthe said:
Nah, I didn't mean like assholes. I mean the kind of people that would rush into a room with a big grin, talk loud, and look like they're excited that a new day has arrived. As if they're permanently high on life. Yeah... maybe that's it. Upbeat happy makes me want to punch people.

*shrugs shoulders*
oh. Yeah, I know some people like that, all happy and stuff, and I also know people like you, don't raelly dig the ahppy people, but it's all good. I'm more like, I get a lazy-high off of air or something. It's fun. wheeee :D

Sublime are a fantastic ska band, as well as The Specials, The (English) Beat and Less Than Jake.

Add Catch 22 (Keasby Nights-era) and Streetlight Manifesto to that list and you have a winner.

:D

I like classic ska from the 80's ..the Selecter, the specials, the Jam, English Beat, early Fishbone, The Wailers - early 60's jamaican ska (real ska)

Que-Ever said:

Techno!

I ****ing hate ska, it's the easiest, no talent music ever. But I'm in a ska band (LOL)... It's kinda fun to play I guess. I'm really a funk/progressive rock/fusion musician. But anyway... I don't know of many ska bands, other than "Street Light Manifesto" and i've heard of Catch 22, Bosstones... The guitarist I play with is into all that shit. We play "Here's To life" by Manifesto at our shows, pretty cool song actually.

I do not like ska. It sounds like a cross between zydeco and ranchero to me (although I have seen the Specials and Operation Ivy in concert).

Adabiviak said:
I do not like ska. It sounds like a cross between zydeco and ranchero to me (although I have seen the Specials and Operation Ivy in concert).
I don't know what either of those are...D:

btw, add "bad manners" to the awesome list.

I cant stand ska, i find it incredibly weak and nonsensical music, from what i've heard the lyrics generally are pretty corny and the musicianship is simple.
The closest you'll ever get me to ska is Madness, from then on... no thanks. :)

Adabiviak said:

:O

You lucky bastard!

I am a friggin huge ska fan! I like all three waves, but have to say that the first is the best (the kind that sounds more like jazz/reggae). I'm actually seeing Reel Big Fish on Sunday (third wave group in case you don't know). If you like traditional ska I thuroughly recommend Rock-Steady and Skin Head Reggae (genres).

Couple of great bands to check out-

The Toasters
Filibuster
Skeletones
English Beat
Selector
Madness
Fishbone
The Pioneers
The Slackers
Laurel Aitken
Prince Buster
The Ethiopeans (Rocksteady)
The Specials
Prince Buster

CptStern said:
I like classic ska from the 80's ..the Selecter, the specials, the Jam, English Beat, early Fishbone, The Wailers - early 60's jamaican ska (real ska)
Yes, 60s/70s--Desmond Dekker is the King of Ska. The Jam are an all-time favorite of mine as well for their diverse sound and great lyrics. English Beat is wonderful too--their Tears of a Clown kicks fanny. :)

For more modern ska, bands like Liberator and The Aquabats are where its at. Spring-Heeled Jack USA(they had to add the 'USA' because a techno band of the same name got mad) had one great album(Static World View). I agree that the new Catch-22 singer just isn't as good as the Keasby singer, but their music is still potentially good. The Pietasters and the Blue Meanies are also great.

oldagerocker said:
I cant stand ska, i find it incredibly weak and nonsensical music, from what i've heard the lyrics generally are pretty corny and the musicianship is simple.
The closest you'll ever get me to ska is Madness, from then on... no thanks. :)

madness is actually one of the weaker 80's ska bands ..they have a few good songs but most of their stuff is sub-par pop hybrid

to each his own but you dont know what you're missing ..the jamaican scene has some very good musicians that could blow away the majority of rock musicians. I highly endorse what Colonel Sanders said and victem of science

Back