hey guys we just got our AK47 skinned heres the specs:

tri count:

Texture size:

1024x 1024

Skinned by:

Tha Slayer

Ak47.jpg

looks nice but I dont really like the wooden part :/

i think it looks awesome, i am looking forward to the next skinned models from you guys :)

-merc

Pendragon said:
The whole skin strikes me as just.. not genuine, I guess - competent but not notable.

how can it not be genuine, i mean, it looks just like an ak47... its not like they are going to make it look like some weird colors and stuff and invent their own weapon, they are trying to replicate an ak47..

-merc

looks pretty nice... the direction of the grain in the stock seems wrong to me.... can't place my finger on exactly why though.

Pendragon said:
The whole skin strikes me as just.. not genuine, I guess - competent but not notable.

Same here.. Looks good..but boring :(

ill get a shot of it in bfv maybe that will change some opinions.

the handle isnt wood because my uvw is bad, so we had to go with plastic other wise the wood on the grip would have looked funny :(

The wooden handle's texture looks out of place. But otherwise, good model! :cheers:

I think many people are noting that the wood looks out of place because the grain too prominent; it looks as if it's oak. Pine, spruce or some other inexpensive wood would have probably been used.

It looks good but the wood doesnt match the dirtyness of the rest of it.

Looks better, but the frontal grip still looks a bit too... Well it looks as if it was made with too any filters in photoshop (not accusing you of that, just looks like it did)

It also seems the metal is a bit bland. A few highlights here and there would spruce it up

Check out this: http://www.firearmsmod.com/weapons/ak47.jpg render of the Firearms Mod's AK47, a few things to point out that might improve your texture are the highlights on the wood. This add a large realism factor, and the varient of hues in the metal.

what are you talking about man, their ak47 owns on the firearms one... lol i think the textures look fine seriously, you people are being WAY too picky..

-merc

no im taking all crits seriously, and ill talk to our skinner a bout it.

For the most part I think it looks great.

My only crit would be that the metal just really doesn't look like metal to me. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it just that the metal texture looks like a painted game texture rather than real metal. I realize that's an odd way to put it, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Also, I'm not sure on this, but the trigger's shape looks funny to me.

Other than that though, wonderful job.

moodel looks awesome.. but its hte textures.. i mean.. why would scratched metal..look white? plus the fron grip looks like it was manufactured out of the same cheap stuff the desks at my school are made of.. you know.. resin and wwodgrain (i'm not sure)... but the model looks fine to me... BTW.. i dont really think trigger matters much.. as it wont be seen in game at all.

yeah the metal scratches arent white but htey do have some white color sometimes...it varies....the shading isnt proper in some areas and the wood needs some variation and a fair bit of weathering .
the metal texture needs a lot more detail instead of just slapping the weathering on .

heres some reference
http://gamedesign.4players.de:1026/AM/tub/ak47.JPG
look at the metal on this gun it has nice shading and there is careful atention to detail as to where the highlights appear on the metal ...ie: around the edges.
the shading is also done very well and ucan see that its not all just one color.
also the scratches arent just white lines but are shaded it ...its really is easy to do the scratches if ur having rtrobule with it contact me on msn i tihnk i have u on my list.

u can also see that hte wood is nice and dark and it has and actualy looks like it has grooves set in it ..it has depth to it...to add this should worrk on the shading and highlights on the wooden parts.

the guy probably used some bump mapping but the same effects can be achieved in ps and its not that hard ....because what u have on the gun can serve as the base and from there its very easy to make those changes.

------------------
this post probably has a lot of mistakes coz im shit at typing and i cudnt be bothered to change anything :D have a nice day

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate your deep critics, allthough there isnt much more I can do to get it better as that skin is, well my best work so far, but thanks again. Im still learning you know :)

I like it anyway :) wish I could at least skin like that.

But could you tell me what renderer you used? (PM if necessary :))

As i said to u guys i like it, just one thing i think maybe the wood on the grip should be toned down quite abit.

Recoil said:
I like it anyway :) wish I could at least skin like that.

But could you tell me what renderer you used? (PM if necessary :))

I used 3ds max 6 with 2 directional spots

The standard renderer looks always crappy to me =/

I'll be going for a few tutorials then...

aslong as you use the right lighting and set it up alright, then the normal renderer can look very good.

PS. use catmull-rom as the AA type, gives a much better finish.

guys, come on the render is fine :p

also, max scanline renderer is extreamly powerful if you know how to use it.

it looks like an ak-47 to me. i've seen lot's of real ak's and almost all of them have different colored wood. So it looks good. Nice work

Well, it looks good. But it's hard to critique when you've seen dozens of models of the same gun and pretty much the same skin.

i'd say it looks awesome, it's never going to be the most innovative and edgy weapon to produce but you have made a fine example with that model.

chu said:
Well, it looks good. But it's hard to critique when you've seen dozens of models of the same gun and pretty much the same skin.

I'd have to agree - it is a very nice model and a very nice skin - although most AK models end up looking the... erm... same... suppose thats not a bad thing - means most look real - but it makes them hard to comment on. So its either a good model or a bad one - I'd say this is a good one though - keep up the good work lads! :bounce:

looks nice except for the trigger just doesn't seem right ;)

Back