skinning problem..

Stertman

Reaction score
Hi all.. hope someone have an esy explenation to this..
I have done e rifle in 3ds max. I have downloaded Texporter..
I have Uvw Unwraped it used Texporter and imported the 1024x1024 map file into photoshop.. I paint it but when i put my texture file onto my rifle it looks blury and upsized.. All the things i've painted are where it should be but why is it so ugly? have i missed someting? PLEASE help me..

We all have different opinions on uglyness, can you post pics. I suspect that's because you look at your model in the viewports and you didn't set high quality settings in Max options. Do a render and you'll see if it looks right.

Post a couple screenshots so I can see what's going on...
One of the texture, scaled down, and one of what it looks like on the model (both in .jpg). Also, have the materials window open (the one with the gray balls) and the texporter panel active in the screenshot, so I can see the settings you used.

Well of course it's gonna look crap. The problem lies in your unwrapping/texturing. If your polies are too small on your map or if your polies are big and you don't take all the space, the texture will stretch. Post the image you got from textporter, we'll tell you if your unwrapping is ok.

Looks like you made the body's space on the UVW map way too small, making the detail/pixels in that area much bigger.

What's the render look like?

im guessing u opened the model ..slapped a uvw modifier and clicked flatten uv ? ...thats not how good uvw mapping is done u need to use specific types of mapping on specific types of geometry .....
there are a lot of uvw tuts otu there .
if u want to go ahead with what u have slap a checkered map on it (difuse>checker set the tile to 10 on both uv apply it and make it visible in the viewport.) then stretch and squash ur uvs till u see even boxes all over ur model.

yeah.. I tested thatone on the latest try. Red it in a turoria so thats why. have tried to do it all by myself to but with no result, still mssy texture on it.

The problem is definatly the uvw map. Find good tuts on unwrapping and you'll be good to go. Look at the polies at the top right of the map, how can you texture those? lol.

Back