Slow download speeds on wireless

MrMan

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but im gonna give it a bash, also apologies to admins if you don't support p2p discussion on these boards.

I have 2.2 MB broadband and recently got wireless, however on Limewire i can't get speeds of anything above about 30kbps...i have windows firewall enabled but Limewire is selected as an exception. Doesn't seem to matter.

How can i get my download speeds up? Is it a problem with the way i have set up the network, or the firewall?

Lol, if it is a problem just lock this thread, i apologised in advance :)

www.testmy.net

Run the download speed test and post the results. If you are getting full speeds there then you don't have anything to worry about. Also don't expect full speeds on P2P apps as it has to come from someone else's pc and they may not have that fast a connection even if you are getting it from more than 1 person. Run teh test and we will see if there is a problem.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 703 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)
Download Speed is:: 86 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server2)
Test Time:: Thu Sep 8 20:55:04 UTC+0100 2005
Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB download in 11.91 sec
Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 72.47 % of your hosts average (pipex.com)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-TLM346OKY

Only got a 2 star connection rating :\ Also it says i have a 0.7mb connection tho i actually have 2.2mb, whats that all about

You might have to open some ports to your computer in your router.

www.portforward.com

Also remember that broadband in UK for home users have a contention ratio of 50:1

You might be sharing your connection with eager bit torrent enthusiasts

mine was slow for a day but then it stopped slowing down for some reason so mabye just wait it out or something

Yep you need to make sure the proper ports are open or you cannot make a direct connection to the network which makes you download slowely.

if your router has dmz use that, although that does open up your computer for the whole world to see.

See the screenshot. Click on the icon in the yellow circle. Then in the new window check what it says in the blue circled area.

Edit: Crap, just realised you may not have it set to display that icon. Go into Network Connections. If it isn’t in your start menu it will be in Control Panel. Double click the Wireless Network Connection icon.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 138
PickledGecko said:
See the screenshot. Click on the icon in the yellow circle. Then in the new window check what it says in the blue circled area.

Edit: Crap, just realised you may not have it set to display that icon. Go into Network Connections. If it isn’t in your start menu it will be in Control Panel. Double click the Wireless Network Connection icon.

whoa where did u get a 24mps adapter i only know of 11,54 and 108mbs wireless cards

giant384 said:
whoa where did u get a 24mps adapter i only know of 11,54 and 108mbs wireless cards
This is kinda what I was trying to explain. My card is 802.llg, i.e. it’s a 54Mbps card. The reason its running at 24 is because 54 is the max but not guaranteed. In fact, no network is going to run at the max, they test them in a lab a few feet away with nothing in between to come up with that figure.

I have another computer who’s network never goes above 1Mbps because there’s a floor and a very thick wall between it and the router. If MrMan’s computer is very far away from his router, or if there are many walls between them, or if there is anything metal in the way, or hell, his microwave or cordless phone could be interfering with his network signal. All these things can considerably slow down a wireless network connection.

PickledGecko said:

Ok...see image below, and the router is in the next room, seperated from me by a door and a wall

And i'll look into the ports thing tomorrow, tho i already went into limewire, checked which port it was using to 'listen to' or whatever, and then went into the firewall settings, chose to 'add port' for an exception and put that port number in. Didn't make a difference

Attachments

• status.JPG
    status.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 132
PickledGecko said:
This is kinda what I was trying to explain. My card is 802.llg, i.e. it’s a 54Mbps card. The reason its running at 24 is because 54 is the max but not guaranteed. In fact, no network is going to run at the max, they test them in a lab a few feet away with nothing in between to come up with that figure.

I have another computer who’s network never goes above 1Mbps because there’s a floor and a very thick wall between it and the router. If MrMan’s computer is very far away from his router, or if there are many walls between them, or if there is anything metal in the way, or hell, his microwave or cordless phone could be interfering with his network signal. All these things can considerably slow down a wireless network connection.

well mine runs at 54mbs but it never says anything different
untitled.jpg

Hmm, maybe it’s a brand thing, mine says 36Mbps now.

Anyway, MrMan, were you given a choice between TCP/UDP/Both? Does Limewire specify which one it requires opened?

Alot of the time i get my full 54Mbps with full signal.
But if i move my computer or the router by even an inch, it can drop to 24Mbps, but it spikes to 36 and 54Mbps at times then.

The router is actually right below my PC, one floor down.

BTW, what kind of download speeds do you get when using Bit Torrent or just downloading HTTP/FTP?

furiousV said:
Alot of the time i get my full 54Mbps with full signal.
But if i move my computer or the router by even an inch, it can drop to 24Mbps, but it spikes to 36 and 54Mbps at times then.

The router is actually right below my PC, one floor down.

BTW, what kind of download speeds do you get when using Bit Torrent or just downloading HTTP/FTP?

My setup is pretty much teh same as yours with the router below my pc 1 floor down. It also spikes if I move it.

He did a speed test at www.testmy.net and the results came back showing slower speeds than he should be experiencing with a 2.2mbit conn.

u could try buying a stronger attena i have one thats called the canntenna and it works well it acccutlly looks like a pringles can and if u point it at one direction it will only go that direction its very strong

Connect directly with network cable, and run the test again, to see is it a signal problem or rutter/isp problem.

NikolaX said:
Connect directly with network cable, and run the test again, to see is it a signal problem or rutter/isp problem.

Good shout, didn't think of that. Do what he says!

I tried plugging the network cable directly into the back of my machine, but i couldnt find a way to connect to the net from there, as my pc is only set up to connect via wireless.

My download speeds in general are never very high, probably 60-70kbps max, this is outside of p2p programs.

And Gecko, when was i supposed to get this TCP/UDP choice? I notice it in the firewall exceptions panel but not in limewire

MrMan said:
I tried plugging the network cable directly into the back of my machine, but i couldnt find a way to connect to the net from there, as my pc is only set up to connect via wireless.

My download speeds in general are never very high, probably 60-70kbps max, this is outside of p2p programs.

And Gecko, when was i supposed to get this TCP/UDP choice? I notice it in the firewall exceptions panel but not in limewire

it dosent mattter if its set up for wireless just disable the wireless connection and enable the lan connection if its disabled then it should connect

Back