Small Server Admin vs /obnoxious/abusive players

mjrhzrd

Reaction score
Wow, ran a HL2DM (Team) server as a community-resource thing with an old box. The PC is a beatup old 966 W/ 512MB RAM. I put a Trial Win 2003 server on it and installed Steam Dedicated Server on it. Downloaded maps, went thru some trial and error on setting stuff up. But it has been running pretty good for the last week off my cable modem. I hid the damn thing in the basement with no LEDs lit (What the Wife doesn't know...) You would not even know it was there unless you were standing next to it and heard the fan.
Any rate, I have it set up for 10 players running the Tower map most of the time. And you know what I get????

A Torrent of Abuse from a bunch of A$$h0le$. After a few days of hearing: Turn off the Gravity! WTF! LAG. Why do I have to leave if I am on Dialup (ping800) Oh, So I'm off the map in Tower hacking people so what! @#$@# I'm not spawn camping! (after headshotting the admin at spawn 4x in a row) ETC ETC
So I shut my server down. Are any other small server admins getting the same Sht][t from players?

I already have a ban list of 50 players!

Absolutely no appreciation.

Major Hazard

i have had a few i run a 8 slot server from home the lag usally doesn't go over 150 but i have had some people come on and complain so i just kick them. The thing that pisses me off is the server name is this "MdHbG | Clan server (home based so there will be some lag)" and even after seeing the name and that it says there may be lag they still come on and bitch. So yea man i know what you mean, but i really don't care what they think cause i don't put it up for them. It's for myself and my friends and anyone else who wants to have some fun and not bitch about a little lag.

I have a 1.1ghz with 512 with XP on it. Tried to run dedicated, except it's so smegging slow it takes about a minute to type in a command (unplayable). How did you get yours to run with 8 players?

Perhaps the installation is messed somehow :|

just used the source dedicated server and set the players allowed to 8 my setup is a hp 1.9ghz 512 ram with xp home edition dsl connection, it runs great for our clan which right now has 3 members and looking for more but i guess alot of people aren't interested in small clans without a big server but oh well to each his or her own i guess :LOL:

Personally i like small servers (8-10 max) reason being, is you get to know the players on the server more, it's generally more fun and obviously less lag/fps issues.

If you have 32 on a server, it's just like playing bots to me. I like to see the same players trying to kill me rather than different ones everytime :p.

That sucks man. I guess I have been lucky. I have only had to ban 6 people so far...

I run a 10 person server on DSL 6000/768 on the server box in sig.

Smeg said:
I have a 1.1ghz with 512 with XP on it. Tried to run dedicated, except it's so smegging slow it takes about a minute to type in a command (unplayable). How did you get yours to run with 8 players?

Perhaps the installation is messed somehow :|

My server is has windows 2003 server on it, This was a 6-month trial edition I got in a book (I'm an MS Certifed Systems Engineer).
I figured, used junk box, free server, why not? But I get some pretty unappreciative players.
I have only essential services running on my PC, not even Anti-Virus, it is not used for even web surfing. I send files to it from my desktop pc with A/V. So it is stripped down, SRCDS process is given a high priority, it is defragged and I keep the swap file on its own partition on the drive. The Swap file is therefore never fragmented.

I had 800+ players across 72+ hours of uptime on a weekend.

I used Phenyl's server tutorial and www.srcds.com 's forums to help me in setup.

Are using Steam "dedicated server" that or the direct dedicated server download?

But is sounds like a lot of stuff is running on your pc. Are leaving everything on and open, ie IM?

Or is your system full of virused, or hacked, churning out spam in the background?
LOL ;-)

My system is also stripped down, (as much as i can on XP). No viruses or anything like, i'm also a geek.

I ran a dedicated server for hl, but not source. I think i've done it completely wrong. lol.

I did dedicated server from the steam options download.

I figure that i'm being an idiot. I'll try downloading it properly. via the link you provided.

Cheers for the help ;p

Well I did mine through the steam gui. It probably ended up being more difficult than it needed to be.. but it works great now.

Good luck. :thumbs:

Back