So does steam work for anyone?

Pagy

Reaction score
I'm having nothing but a pain trying to get this thing to work.

Mostly...

Wait it just opened, it took 10 min at 100% cpu to open...

Who coded this thing? highschool students? my god :x
valve you can do better than this

95% Stable, still some dodgy moments but I'm very happy with it.

i can never get into a game, never seems to load

yep same happens to me.. it takes forever to load up. then i try to get in a tfc server and forget it, it freezes everytime. good job steam..keep up the good work. they call this a non-beta?

It took me all night to download counter-strike, and today I was actually able to get into a server without steam freezing. I think downloading sound files for the server prevented this from happening.

Anyway, I was in the server for about 3-4 minutes when I get this "WARNING: CONNECTION PROBLEM" at the top right-hand corner of the screen.

I haven't been able to play since. Hopefully that will change.

Works almost perfectly for me, just some little problems

For those of you who have steam working fine: did you guys have no problems during installation with regards to getting the mods installed into steam? Upon installing steam the first time it runs through the wizard, part of who's functionality is deleting all of the original half-life installation from what I understand, did this happen for you guys?

Its a bit stop and go

Thats when i can get it to open

I love the interface and the gui, once i can get it to work I love it:afro:

i had alot of problems with it, but earlier today everything started working great!
i have played lots of cs, and im downloading dod right now

its still a bit slow at times tho, but thats not such a big problem..

"works just fine for me"
BULLSHIT, YOU LIAR

I hate people who pretend everything works great for them, such a petty, arrogant thing.

You open steam it sometimes takes minutes and minutes to open, with no "opening progress screen" pathetic.

You close it it sometimes still sits as a process, so when you try to open it again, it says "already running" killing the process and waiting another few mintues for it to suddenly pop up is necessary.

Contacting the server causes the app to go into "unresponsive" mode "not responding" in task manager, and will not visually refresh, or give you ANY feedback.

This is quite an advanced app, but to call it release standard code is an absolute joke.

I have no problems with the slow speed or server downtime, or inability to download updates, I have a problem with how the app deals and feedsback this stuff. It's almost like steam "lags out" and becomes an unstable mess without constant data handouts from the content servers.

Originally posted by mikesux
"works just fine for me"
BULLSHIT, YOU LIAR

I hate people who pretend everything works great for them, such a petty, arrogant thing.

You open steam it sometimes takes minutes and minutes to open, with no "opening progress screen" pathetic.

You close it it sometimes still sits as a process, so when you try to open it again, it says "already running" killing the process and waiting another few mintues for it to suddenly pop up is necessary.

Contacting the server causes the app to go into "unresponsive" mode "not responding" in task manager, and will not visually refresh, or give you ANY feedback.

This is quite an advanced app, but to call it release standard code is an absolute joke.

I have no problems with the slow speed or server downtime, or inability to download updates, I have a problem with how the app deals and feedsback this stuff. It's almost like steam "lags out" and becomes an unstable mess without constant data handouts from the content servers.
Wow. I probably wouldn't have come right out and said that, and I'm not even sure I should be adding to this relatively off-topic rant, but your post pretty much covered all my thoughts on the subject. Except that, to me, the slowness is not acceptable either.

I managed to avoid many of the problems everybody else experienced on that first day, because I was able to locate the installer late the previous night, devote a couple hours to the conversion process, and let the damn thing sit all night updating. All my games are 100% updated, and have been since the morning the release became widely known.

And still the thing barely works. It sits there consuming 15 MB or so of memory and random CPU cycles, and even with it running it takes maybe 30 seconds to even display the "Games" window. And another 30-60 to actually execute a game. Add another 30-60 if I have previously shut Steam down (through Task Manager of course, there is no other way that works reliably - even rebooting my computer with Steam running results in an error message about the process refusing to die). So, optimistically, a minute to a minute and a half to run this 4-year-old game that a few days ago loaded in 15 seconds. Yay.

Add all the other issues mentioned by mikesux, and you have an almost completely unuseable program. Even if you have saint-like patience, Steam is clearly horribly broken. And, like mikesux, I don't believe anybody that says otherwise. Sticking up for Valve is great (I've done lots of that over the past weeks, on other message boards) and having the knowledge and patience to get around the worst problems and get Steam updated and running is admirable, but that doesn't change the fact that its presence greatly diminishes the experience of playing Valve games.

Again, Steam is horribly broken - and Valve needs to know it. Waffling on this issue and saying everything is OK when it's clearly not is going to hurt the users (us) and the people who presumably want a clear, honest picture of how poorly their new system is performing (Valve) so they can fix it.

Back